CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Of all the movies this year that would be at the center of a brawl in a movie theater, this was probably at the bottom of the list.

Adults start fighting at The Little Mermaid premiere and ruin movie for kids - Dexerto

The bright opening to Under The Sea juxtaposed with people yelling and talking :facepalm:

Just now, Morieris said:

The bright opening to Under The Sea juxtaposed with people yelling and talking :facepalm:

Apparently this was at a theater in Orlando. I have to assume it wasn't the Disney Springs AMC (or the Universal Cinemark) because their security wouldn't play around lmao.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, infamous5445 said:

*Michelle Jones-Watson, its clear Feige and Co intended for her to be the character Mary Jane without calling her that for whatever reason.

Mary Jane has a certain connotation in a lot of countries that while I’m not against it, I could see as been one of the reasons. Other that, well, avoiding unnecessary backlash from racists saying that Feige murdered their childhoods.

• Sad 1

Disney got a lot bolder after the success of Black Panther and Captain Marvel, case in point being Halle as Ariel, so if Zendaya had been cast in a Spidey movie in say, 2019, Feige would have convinced Sony to let her character retain the Mary Jane name.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Disney got a lot bolder after the success of Black Panther and Captain Marvel, case in point being Halle as Ariel, so if Zendaya had been cast in a Spidey movie in say, 2019, Feige would have convinced Sony to let her character retain the Mary Jane name.

Zendaya is the most Mary Jane actress of her generation, also one of their most talented, and multi talented at that. The more the time passes, the more it becomes clear how much they nailed casting her.

• Heart 1

On 5/28/2023 at 4:12 AM, Spidey Freak said:

It wasn't her, it was Marvel that decided to go with a non-glam version of MJ for the MCU. Dumbest decision ever because Zendaya is the most Mary Jane Watson person to ever Mary Jane Watson.

I hope that if she returns for spider-man 4, they let her character glam up and look how Zendaya does in real life. It would be quite the shock for Peter and I think add a new dimension to their story. Mostly I just wanna see Zendaya looking hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I hope that if she returns for spider-man 4, they let her character glam up and look how Zendaya does in real life. It would be quite the shock for Peter and I think add a new dimension to their story. Mostly I just wanna see Zendaya looking hot.

I actually love MJ in the MCU. MJ in the comics Earth 616 unfortunately and sadly plays a lot with the trope of the ‘trophy wife’. Yes she is a super model that used to be rich and then became an actress and then became the owner of a night club and then became a Stark Industries intern and now she used to be a mom from kids that actually don’t exist. There is no actual arc, very little to show why Peter and MJ would hit up so hard. Using sort of the Ultimate Spider-Man angle and amping it up with MJ being a prodigy kid at Peter’s high school was the right move in my opinion. You can have the bombshell Mary Jane once she isn’t a teenager and it isn’t weird. I just love the long game approach they have it going for Spider-Man and the characters around him in the MCU.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, jedijake said:

I'm glad they didn't cast Zendaya. I like Zendaya. However, I think it would have felt like "that's just Zendaya playing Ariel" rather than "that's Ariel". Emma Watson was always Emma Watson/Hermione in Belle's clothing. It was not her own or didn't feel like her own. Same thing would have been true about Zendaya. With Halle, she REALLY seems like Ariel and there's really not a "that's just Halle playing Ariel". Now, for her future roles, she may get typecast and there may be a "that Halle as Ariel playing <fill in the blank>", but that's for the future to determine. At the moment, Halle IS Ariel and seems to make it her own without any past recognition getting in the way.

I watched the original TLM on disney plus for the first time since I was a kid last week and watching Halle on the screen, I was surprised at how similar she sounded to the original voice actress. I really bought her as Ariel in this movie.

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Here for it!

bfb3e63b8a8b0f974edee02982b14546d4b3e0a9

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I hope that if she returns for spider-man 4, they let her character glam up and look how Zendaya does in real life. 

lol Z doesnt give a shit outside red carpets

CyJbsT4XgAEVopL.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000008300859.jpg

Edited by Barbie

On 5/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, imbruglia said:

lol

this was her during Spider man press call.

and she did this because there were people hating her being black and MJ.

so she did red hair, just like comic mj.

Off My Mind: Spider-Man & MJ, Love At First Sight? - Comic Vine

Ah, yes, the famous first appreance of MJ.

The point is that Mary Jane Watson as ap ossible date for  Peter has been a running joke for nearly four years befoew MJ made her first appreance. She was often spoken of, her mother was a friend of AUnt May's and he dodged going out with her thinkgig she was a dog being pawned off on him ; his girlfriend was Gwen Stacey. The above panel was the first time, after four years of being a joke, that we saw MJ.

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

For all intents and purposes, Zendaya is playing MJ Watson. I wouldn’t doubt that in the next trilogy they go full blown with the supermodel angle, or at least tinker with it. 

Yeah, the last name change is sort of irrevelent, Zendaya is MJ. And it going to be interesting if she does return as MJ and starts with Pter from square one, since he has been erased from her..and everybody else's mind.

• Like 1

Finally saw the movie and we all loved it. Halle was phenomenal. McCarthy was excellent. They did an AMAZING job with Sebastian and Diggs was the perfect choice. Sebastian had 100X more emotion and personality than ANY of the characters from Lion King remake. Definitely at least neck and neck with Aladdin as the best remake, maybe THE best remake!

As for profit, that is much more of a Disney finance issue than an issue with the movie itself. No way anyone could EVER have predicted what is happening to it in Asia. And while it pulled in less in the opening weekend than expected domestically, it should still pass $300 million which isn't too shabby. Also, while ACTSV will pull away imax and 3D theaters, we're talking two very different animals.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1