CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

2 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

There's no reason to be so abrasively dismissive. There are people who care a great deal, and they don't deserve to be looked down upon.

I think I was being properly dismissive at the thought that what happens in the Marvel comics could ever cause a crisis for corporate Disney.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think I was being properly dismissive at the thought that what happens in the Marvel comics could ever cause a crisis for corporate Disney.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I thought you were scoffing at the idea of anyone caring about the comics.

That seems low for X-Men, thought it was gonna out open DOFP at least. But I haven't bern following trackings and current trends so maybe that number is in line with expectations. 

Horrible but expected for Alice 2. 

Watched Apocalypse earlier today. I think the legs will be the typical X-franchise legs, no better or worse. 

The Nice Guys round two tomorrow. Man, wish it would have done better. 

3RD UPDATE, 8:48PM: Judging from 11:30PM EST results, the Memorial Day box office openers are in a total slowdown. 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse, if it doesn’t drop any further, will met Fox’s early week projections by the time we hit Monday. The pic’s current industry projection is at $82.6M for FSSM, $68M over three and $27M for today at 4,150 theaters. Non-Fox execs bet that this film would open big in the triple digits, but Fox knew they were coming off of a high after 2014’s Days of Future Past, not to mention the bad reviews for Apocalypse. Still not a bad opening over 4-days. On FSS basis, it will be the fourth best debut for an X-Men movie. Still waiting on CinemaScore.

Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Glass is still looking low, but holding at $40M over four-days, $30.9M over FSS and $9M for today. CinemaScore audiences loved it as much as the 2010 film with an A-.

Sony/Rovio’s The Angry Birds Movie at 3,932 is looking at a second weekend of $22M, -42% and through Monday will count $30.2M with an 11-day cume of $77.8M.

Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War is in fourth with $16.6M FSS – 50%, $21.4M FSSM and a running cume by EOD Monday of $379M.

Fifth place belongs to Universal’s Neighbors: Sorority Rising with $9.3M, -57% at 3,416 theaters. Four day is $11.7M with a running 11-day cume of $41M.

Disney has sixth place as well with The Jungle Book making $7.8M at 2,523 venues, FSSM $10.7M and a running cume by Monday of $342.2M.

Warner Bros. second weekend of The Nice Guys is at $6.8M, -39% with a four-day of $8.7M and an 11-day run of $24.1M.

Will be back later with more analysis and estimates.

Back to the numbers.

Deadline not making sense again.

They say 90m 4 day and 78m 3 day from 8.1m/21.4m.  

Tracking DoFP Friday w/o previews, the daily should look like this. 8.1+ 21.4+ 22.9+ 20.3 + 15

70.8m 3 day

85.8m 4 day

Over all lower and the spread is wider between 3 and 4 day.

Some bad news for X-Men: Per Deadline, Judging from 11:30PM EST results, the Memorial Day box office openers are in a total slowdown. 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse, if it doesn’t drop any further, will met Fox’s early week projections by the time we hit Monday. The pic’s current industry projection is at $82.6M for FSSM, $68M over three and $27M for today at 4,150 theaters. Non-Fox execs bet that this film would open big in the triple digits, but Fox knew they were coming off of a high after 2014’s Days of Future Past, not to mention the bad reviews for Apocalypse. Still not a bad opening over 4-days. On FSS basis, it will be the fourth best debut for an X-Men movie. Still waiting on CinemaScore.

I think we will see probably 26-27M for Apocalypse when the official numbers are released tomorrow, night shows are good but not great in SoCal. Alice will most likely drop below its estimate, night shows look dead for it frankly.

Great hold for Angry Birds and Jungle Book, decent hold for Nice Guys. Civil War dropping harder than Ultron and IM3 if the numbers are right, those 2 fell in the low 40s compared to the projected 50% for CW.

7 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

3RD UPDATE, 8:48PM: Judging from 11:30PM EST results, the Memorial Day box office openers are in a total slowdown. 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse, if it doesn’t drop any further, will met Fox’s early week projections by the time we hit Monday. The pic’s current industry projection is at $82.6M for FSSM, $68M over three and $27M for today at 4,150 theaters. Non-Fox execs bet that this film would open big in the triple digits, but Fox knew they were coming off of a high after 2014’s Days of Future Past, not to mention the bad reviews for Apocalypse. Still not a bad opening over 4-days. On FSS basis, it will be the fourth best debut for an X-Men movie. Still waiting on CinemaScore.

Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Glass is still looking low, but holding at $40M over four-days, $30.9M over FSS and $9M for today. CinemaScore audiences loved it as much as the 2010 film with an A-.

Sony/Rovio’s The Angry Birds Movie at 3,932 is looking at a second weekend of $22M, -42% and through Monday will count $30.2M with an 11-day cume of $77.8M.

Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War is in fourth with $16.6M FSS – 50%, $21.4M FSSM and a running cume by EOD Monday of $379M.

Fifth place belongs to Universal’s Neighbors: Sorority Rising with $9.3M, -57% at 3,416 theaters. Four day is $11.7M with a running 11-day cume of $41M.

Disney has sixth place as well with The Jungle Book making $7.8M at 2,523 venues, FSSM $10.7M and a running cume by Monday of $342.2M.

Warner Bros. second weekend of The Nice Guys is at $6.8M, -39% with a four-day of $8.7M and an 11-day run of $24.1M.

Will be back later with more analysis and estimates.

awful for Alice. Not great for X-Men as well.  Will miss 200m now

Civil War is crumbling. Really. 

• Like 1

I actually don't see how it gets to 40M with a 9M Friday which includes 1.5M from previews. True Friday is 7.5M, even with a 50% bump on that it gets it to 10.75M for Saturday, 9M Sunday and 7M Monday and all of those are very optimistic figures, that would give it around a 35-37M 4-day weekend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Deadpool will make about twice as much as Apocalypse with one third the budget

So this will make only $380 million WW? That is disappointing. 

Edited by straggler