CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

6 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

tumblr_nl5sa2G2901tx7uzlo1_400.gif

1) I had no idea that woman was also Tank Girl.

2) I also had no idea that she directed Jennifer Lawrence and Chloe Moretz in a 2008 movie about her life. I kinda want to see it.

Fun fact: DC and Marvel have co-ownership of the trademarked term "superhero". Not even kidding. So, in order for a movie to be a superhero movie, it technically has to be based on a Marvel or DC property (or, by extension, a Disney or Time-Warner property).

Edited by johnboy3434

20 minutes ago, kitik said:

I liked Crimson Peak, but Only Lovers Left Alive is 10 times better.

OLLA is fantastic but Mia was the weak link and yet it's the performance of hers I like the most. 

I hated her Jane Eyre but then I even disliked Fassy in Jane Eyre - what a snooze of an adaptation.

I can't believe we're arguing over whether or not TMNT: Out of Shadows is a comic-book movie.

Just cause the cartoon made the property popular doesn't change the fact, that by definition it's a comic book movie. C'mon people.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, MarvelandDC said:

Has TMNT become the new transformers?

The first one was damn horrible. Even BvS had a more audience and critic ratings than TMNT.

16 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

One difference: It actually had good legs.

It seems like the kind of movie that's criticproof.

12 minutes ago, MarvelandDC said:

Smh.

I hope it flops. The new TMNT movies are nothing but an insult.

What anyone here thinks of the quality of the new TMNT movie is irrelevant. Kids are gonna eat that shit up.

Underestimate it at your own peril.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossfire said:

Men in Black is owned by Marvel

Correction - Men in Black was published by Marvel, but it is a completely creator owned comic book. Marvel doesn't own any of the rights related to the comics, the creator Lowell Cunnigham does. Sony bought the rights from Cunnigham and didn't have to deal with Marvel at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kitik said:

Without a doubt, the cartoon is much more famous and influential than the comics in the case of TMNT (as opposed to something like X-Men or Batman, which had hit cartoons, but are still primarily known as comic books).

But this isn't some matter that's up for debate or worthy of an opinion poll. It's a simple FACT. TMNT is a CBM. Fact. By definition. CBM's are defined as properties that originated as comic books.

9 out of 10 people might have no idea that it's a CBM, but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

Ghost World is a CBM. Timecop is a CBM. A History of Violence is a CBM. Tank Girl is a CBM. CBM's don't have to be superhero movies. They're two different terms.

This is a CBM too.

MV5BMjA0MDM4ODM0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDE3

That's why I love the CBM  fatigue complaints.  We've  been getting 5 to 6 of them a year for over a decade. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Correction - Men in Black was published by Marvel, but it is a completely creator owned comic book. Marvel doesn't own any of the rights related to the comics, the creator Lowell Cunnigham does. Sony bought the rights from Cunnigham and didn't have to deal with Marvel at all.

Could I get a source on that? I've only ever heard that MiB was owned by Marvel after the Malibu buyout.

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think Marvel still get paid though.

They tried to sue Sony about the whole thing a couple of years back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3444075.stm

2 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Could I get a source on that? I've only ever heard that MiB was owned by Marvel after the Malibu buyout.

The MIB rights were optioned by the producers in 1992 direct from the creator, more than 2 years before Marvel bought Malibu comics. So while Marvel took over the license fee, they never owned the characters or the concept in the option. And we don't know the terms of the option, but seeing how it was optioned before the CBM boom, I would guess it was optioned in perpetuity as well with no countdown clock attached since we haven't heard anything about rights reversion ever.

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You're right, it always confused me cuz in the opening credits appears Based on the Marvel Comics by Lowell Cunnigham, so i always tough that at least owned part of the rights.  

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Movie was boring. People stayed home.

Movie was fun, too many people read the reviews.

I'm getting CBM critic fatigue.  They are so repetitive, it is almost like when you've read one, you've read them all.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

Movie was fun, too many people read the reviews.

I'm getting CBM critic fatigue.  They are so repetitive, it is almost like when you've read one, you've read them all.

More complaints about critics... Really?

• Like 3