CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

3 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Yup, I read that, and it clearly shows how little the studio itself spent on the marketing

The marketing push, including promotional partnerships and the studio's own spending, has reached an estimated $400 million, making it the biggest-ever campaign for an animated Sony movie, according to executives at the company. 

Partnerships with the likes of McDonald's and Ziploc have generated more than $300 million in promotions and ads for the computer-animated film -- a big number even for a major studio release, analysts said. Promotional tie-ins for a high-profile movie would normally total around $200 million.

The studio exposure is really limited here. Probably no more than 130-150M all in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yup, I read that, and it clearly shows how little the studio itself spent on the marketing

The studio exposure is really limited here. Probably no more than 130-150M all in.

Oh, my bad.  I thought it said they SPENT 300 million on marketing :lol: 

Regarding CW, I don't think the WOM is terrible but I imagine it goes "yeah man, it's cool have you seen the rest?" "No, I havent."

Or scenario 2. "It's good but I don't feel the need to see it again soon"

Or scenario 3: "these are all starting to be the same"

• Like 3

I suppose there was really no way for 4 big CBMs to open within 3 months without big genre fatigue. And Apocalypse unfortunately turned out to be a bad combo of lackluster quality and coming at the end of the genres onslaught. I feel pretty dumb in hindsight for thinking Apocalypse ever stood a chance of DOFPs success, though I never saw the lackluster quality part coming.

At any rate, June feels like it could be really rough now. Hopefully Dory doesn't disappoint, but either way Im thinking more and more July and August will carry this summer with big breakouts from the likes of Pets, Ghostbusters, Bourne, and Suicide Squad. 

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Ummmm......

Who wants to be the one to break it to SWXII which "movie" is going to get "more dollars" than the other. :)

*yells 'NOT IT' real fast*

Even though one politician, um I mean bunny, gets foreign contributions, um I mean pellets, for her campaign, um, I mean cough cough "foundation", this is still a US election. And Jungle passed Zoo even though Zoo had a 6 week head start and a ton of bought for super delegates, um, I mean toons. So the analogy works. 

• Like 1

Civil War's run is over at my theatre and made $258.9M off of a $102.4M debut weekend.

Also @cannastop I finally got Zootopia's number. $333.8M off a $76.1M debut. Third biggest of the year behind Deadpool $390+ and Jungle Book (360+ but I haven't counted out its last 2 weeks).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wouldn't call it "limited" for a project they could have pulled the plug on a long time ago. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also at the theater today I saw a little girl walk past the poster for Sausage Party and said "I want to see this movie mommy!" LMAO OH GOD.

The girl knows what she wants. 

• Like 5

Holy shot BKB. Your spin on CW is legendary. So much cock and balls and piss and vinegar at the beginning when you were shoving it down everyone's throats about how this would get a three multiplier and how it would make 500 million and how it would open to 200 million and so on and so on. And now you're just throwing out the well it made 400 million so that's awesome. You're hilarious dude.

• Like 12