La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I haven't been to the theater since CW.

Looks like I am doing the drive-in double feature of TMNT2 and Angry Birds. First time going to a drive-in, 2 movies for less than the price of one in a normal theater.

Just now, grim22 said:

Pather Panchali is classic, the other 2 are okay IMO. If you love Satyajit Ray, I would recommend the movies of Guru Dutt, especially Pyaasa, Kaagaz Ke Phool and Saheb, Biwi aur Ghulam (and then Mr. & Mrs. 55 to end on an upbeat note after your emotions have been taken through the wringer by the first 3 movies)

Where can I find these? Although I'm not sure I feel like going through the wringer by three more movies. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Looks like I am doing the drive-in double feature of TMNT2 and Angry Birds. First time going to a drive-in, 2 movies for less than the price of one in a normal theater.

Is your radio working?

I'm hoping that all these dramatic sequel drop-offs that have been occurring across the board (and will extend with Now You See Me 2 next weekend) will make studios wake up and start producing more original fare instead of resting on their laurels, or at least realize not every single original movie that makes money warrants a sequel. Of course, they probably won't and the divide will grow even bigger.

53 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Producers only get 20-25% from China's grosses.  Domestic grosses are still important, because that's the place where producers get a higher piece of money ( usually 50-60% ). Usually, producers only keep about 1/3 from overseas grosses.

So, Warcraft budget is 160 million + money spent on marketing/promotion/advertising.

There are domestic predictions showing Warcraft might have a final domestic gross of less than 50 million. 

So, let's imagine that Warcraft makes 50 million domestic, 300 million in China and 200 million ( from other countries ). 

50% of 50 million would be 25 million. The rest goes o theaters and distributors.

25% of 300 million ( China ) would be 75 million.

1/3 of 200 million ( around the world minus China ) would be more or less 66 million, give or take it.

So, producers will get 25 + 75 + 66 = 166 million.  That would mean disaster and no sequels, given the huge budget.

Why do producers keep making such expensive movies, it's beyond me. As bad as Resident Evil movies were, they were always cheap ( the last one will have a budget of 90 million ) and they kept making a nice profit, which is why we'll see a 6th movie.

Don't they get close to 50% from a lot of European countries though? I'm almost sure they do, at least in big markets like the UK, France and Germany.

It should be fun to see how it goes down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Where can I find these? Although I'm not sure I feel like going through the wringer by three more movies. :lol: 

They are available on Youtube for rent, but not sure if they have subtitles.

Guru Dutt's wiki for more background of his tragic life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Dutt

I bought a Guru Dutt DVD collection for all his movies around 10 years ago, didn't think i would like them but it was on sale, ended up loving the movies.

• Like 1

If I was Fox, I'd make another billboard that had a giant middle finger on it that said:

To all those offended by the Apocalypse poster....get some fucking perspective, you dumb ass motherfuckers. Oh and....

bird.gif?w=640

• Like 4

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm hoping that all these dramatic sequel drop-offs that have been occurring across the board (and will extend with Now You See Me 2 next weekend) will make studios wake up and start producing more original fare instead of resting on their laurels, or at least realize not every single original movie that makes money warrants a sequel. Of course, they probably won't and the divide will grow even bigger.

But how do studios know which sequels are worth it and which sequels are not lol? We got Taken 2 and Taken 3! It is impossible for them to know which sequels will do well and which ones will fail.

• Like 5

Just now, CJohn said:

But how do studios know which sequels are worth it and which sequels are not lol? We got Taken 2 and Taken 3! It is impossible for them to know which sequels will do well and which ones will fail.

Taken 2 always looked like a breakout, Taken 3 was much less of a sure thing. I am shocked how big Hangover 2 ended up being, it could easily have been another Ted 2 or Neighbors 2. Hell, I think Hangover 2 is the reason we have a Ted 2 or a Neighbors 2 or even Horrible Bosses 2.

• Like 2

More like 45% from overseas grosses. Plus Legendary is owned by a Chinese company, so it's unclear whether they'll get a better cut or if the Chinese gross will be more meaningful to them. 

Plus, of course, none of this takes into account the ancillary revenue streams, which usually are what push movies into profitability. If WC does your numbers, it'll be more than fine for Universal and Legendary. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The midtier sequels (ala Neighbors 2, TMNT2) might become an endangered species. Audience attention spans are only shrinking more and more.