La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

:lol: any particular reason

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is an action movie involving spies that is fun. You will despise it. 

They kill a dog. That should be enough for Ethan to hate it.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Taken had word of mouth bordering on religious, Taken 2 looked like a breakout from the moment the first trailer came out. Taken 3 had a great trailer as well, ending with the "Good Luck." line and a plot which looked different enough. John Wick 2 can pull off a Taken 2 (I think it has a good shot at outgrossing the first movies take on OW alone).

I agree, but Lionsgate needs to get out and market the hell out of it.  

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

John Wick will pull a Kick-Ass, not a Taken. 

:whip:

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What will you see next then? Pets? 

Still disappointed you failed me with Apocalypse :sadben: 

But Taken 2 is a midtier sequel as well. And it exploded. Same with Pitch Perfect. What you are talking about simply doesn't work like that. Alice 2 was a sequel to a MONSTER hit. Yet it also bombed. There is no magic formula.

Probably Conjuring, I still need to see the first tho

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

They kill a dog. That should be enough for Ethan to hate it.

This is true, but maybe knowing that that sets him off on a bloody rampage and he kills like everyone in New York because of it...maybe he'll give it a shot?

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is an action movie involving spies that is fun. You will despise it. 

But M:I2 John 

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They kill a dog in the movie, you won't like it.

Knowing the context of the dog killing I don't think that it would bother me such as that other movie.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Baumer said:

If I was Fox, I'd make another billboard that had a giant middle finger on it that said:

To all those offended by the Apocalypse poster....get some fucking perspective, you dumb ass motherfuckers. Oh and....

bird.gif?w=640

Hopefully the poster will be both Apocalypse and Mystique, @Baumer; if it's just Apocalypse, they will have certain people screaming that this is another case of "women being invisibilized by Hollywood's patriarchal structures" or something. *facepalm*

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only movies that clearly have strong fan bases (ala Pitch Perfect) will not become immune to sequels. Nothing ever indicated that Neighbors or Horrible Bosses or Magic Mike (to name a few) found additional followings after they left theaters.

I just don't agree with this. There is no magic formula. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it is a marketing problem. I think the marketing for TMNT2 was mostly terrible compared to the great marketing campaign they made for the first movie. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nah.. the sequel which will pull a Kick-Ass that weekend will be the 50 Shades sequel. I think the sequel has a good chance of finishing below the first movie's OW.

Uh, John Wick was no where as big as Taken and Fifty Shades was way bigger than Kick Ass. The sequel will still make over 500m WW likely 

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Producers only get 20-25% from China's grosses.  Domestic grosses are still important, because that's the place where producers get a higher piece of money ( usually 50-60% ). Usually, producers only keep about 1/3 from overseas grosses.

So, Warcraft budget is 160 million + money spent on marketing/promotion/advertising.

There are domestic predictions showing Warcraft might have a final domestic gross of less than 50 million. 

So, let's imagine that Warcraft makes 50 million domestic, 300 million in China and 200 million ( from other countries ). 

50% of 50 million would be 25 million. The rest goes o theaters and distributors.

25% of 300 million ( China ) would be 75 million.

1/3 of 200 million ( around the world minus China ) would be more or less 66 million, give or take it.

So, producers will get 25 + 75 + 66 = 166 million.  That would mean disaster and no sequels, given the huge budget.

Why do producers keep making such expensive movies, it's beyond me. As bad as Resident Evil movies were, they were always cheap ( the last one will have a budget of 90 million ) and they kept making a nice profit, which is why we'll see a 6th movie.

THats tottaly innacurate.

First of all the lowest prediction about Warcraft in DOmestic is 65 million(which i really doubt it will go that far down).

I dont beileve it will make 300 mil in China but, it willd effo make over 200

Secondly rumors say because Wanda has bought Legendary, their share is close to 50% in CHina thats why they invested(Wanda) more than 10 milion in marketing in CHina.THe 25% share its not real

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I just don't agree with this. There is no magic formula. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it is a marketing problem. I think the marketing for TMNT2 was mostly terrible compared to the great marketing campaign they made for the first movie. 

Or maybe nobody really wanted a sequel to TMNT2. After all, it's gonna drop around 60% from the original. That's not just a marketing problem.