La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

Just now, grim22 said:

The new business model in Hollywood seems to be "Anticipation". People enjoy looking forward to the next big thimg than actually watching the current movies.

Now that sounds sustainable.

April and summer 2017 will be way better I think in terms of grosses.

Fast 8, Despicable Me 3, Spiderman, Dunkrick, GoTG 2, Wonder Woman are all movies with good box office potential regardless of quality.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

April and summer 2017 will be way better I think in terms of grosses.

Fast 8, Despicable Me 3, Spiderman, Dunkrick, GoTG 2, Wonder Woman are all movies with good box office potential regardless of quality.

6 movies doing well, how is that different from this spring/summer?

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

6 movies doing well, how is that different from this spring/summer?

I think the main difference is how big these movies will be as compared to how well these 6 films this summer will be.

I think if you add the box office of these 6 in 2017, it will be higher than this summer's 6 hits (if they end up being 6)

Just now, MinaTakla said:

I think the main difference is how big these movies will be as compared to how well these 6 films this summer will be.

I think if you add the box office of these 6 in 2017, it will be higher than this summer's 6 hits (if they end up being 6)

Jungle Book, Civil War, Dory, Pets, Bourne, Suicide Squad

Would bet quite a lot that the total gross of those 6 ends up higher than the 6 you listed

• Like 1

Civil War has had a 50%+ drop each weekend.  I guess it makes sense, like others have stated the MCU is probably mostly just retaining audiences at this point rather than growing.

• Like 1

People always point to the next year and say "it'll get better" but it never gets better. At this point this is how the box office works, until something changes with the product.

A handful of big hits, a few smaller breakout hits and a whole lot of underperformers

• Like 2

Just now, moviesRus said:

Jungle Book isn't a summer movie though.

He said April so he could include Fast 8, that's where Jungle Book was released

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I still think July through Suicide Squad is full of big breakout hits. 

You think Star Trek or Ghostbusters is breaking out?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

People always point to the next year and say "it'll get better" but it never gets better. At this point this is how the box office works, until something changes with the product.

A handful of big hits, a few smaller breakout hits and a whole lot of underperformers

It was actually the case in 2012, in terms of box office anyway. And 2013 to a certain extent. 

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

You think Star Trek or Ghostbusters is breaking out?

Absolutely to Ghostbusters. Only real female driven movie this summer and its genre as well will be a breath of fresh air in this climate l. I trust Feig also to deliver a passable movie at the very least, which is all it needs to be to do well. Bourne and Pets are also gonna be huge, bigger than I think most are expecting. SS will round it out for 4 huge hits within that month span. No idea about Trek right now. Had looked to be a major bomb, though that newest trailer was really good at least. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely to Ghostbusters. Only real female driven movie this summer and its genre as well will be a breath of fresh air in this climate l. I trust Feig also to deliver a passable movie at the very least, which is all it needs to be to do well. Bourne and Pets are also gonna be huge, bigger than I think most are expecting. SS will round it out for 4 huge hits within that month span. No idea about Trek right now. Had looked to be a major bomb, though that newest trailer was really good at least. 

Hmm, well I'm definitely not as high on Ghostbusters as you. I hope it works out tho. Agree on the other 3, said as much last page

Star Trek is a stone cold lock to drop I think, only question is how hard. "Space movies!" audience has been sated by Guardians and the return of STAR WARS, last movie wasn't received all that well, and Idris Elba + Kingsman actress in goofy makeup isn't selling anyone new

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't want Star Trek to underperform but I'm warming to the idea it could do less than 150M

Would anyone be shocked by a 45/120 type of run?

• Like 1