Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

Great a list from Tele !

So far I've only seen one and I'm interested by the 3 others. Hell Tele, just put any movie with Pfeiffer or directed by Cronenberg and I will be interested.

Also with the release oh Heart of Iron 4 Im interested in WW2 material right now.

• Like 2

Tequila Sunrise has imo one of the greatest scripts of the 80s. Robert Towne is just so good at what he does. And the cast is top notch. Raul Julia chews up every scene he's in and JT Walsh is such a slime bag.

This film also made me try rigatoni Quatro fromage

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Tequila Sunrise sounds/looks interesting. I'ma check that one out.

I think you'll like it. The story and script are fantastic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Here we go...

100. A Bridge Too Far (1977)

a-bridge-too-far-movie-poster-1977-10202

written by: William Goldman (from a book by Cornelius Ryan)

directed by: Richard Attenborough

starring: Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Ryan O’Neal, Michael Caine, James Caan… and many more

Synopsis:

Operation Market Garden, September 1944: The Allies attempt to capture several strategically important bridges in the Netherlands in the hope of breaking the German lines. However, mismanagement and poor planning result in its failure.

This is one of the famous battles of WWII — an incredibly daring and complicated mission that could’ve brought a quicker end to the war if it had succeeded. And Attenborough’s movie uses a classic blueprint: cast as many big-name stars as you can, spend a small fortune shooting as much of it real-for-real as you can, and the the result is a solid, strong, and entertaining movie that nonetheless falls short of greatness. But it’s still a damn good time, and should bring extra satisfaction to WWII buffs, since it follows history relatively closely and was the last movie (I think) able to use many of the historically accurate tanks and planes instead of mockups or replacements.

Another fun thing is to see how many stars you can identify: this is one of those movies where almost every significant speaking role (and even some of the not-to-significant ones) is played by a star or reasonably famous actor (for the time).

This is basically the sort of movie Nolan’s striving for with DUNKIRK — we’ll see if he can pull it off.

Yessssssssssssssssss

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Here we go...

100. A Bridge Too Far (1977)

a-bridge-too-far-movie-poster-1977-10202

written by: William Goldman (from a book by Cornelius Ryan)

directed by: Richard Attenborough

starring: Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Ryan O’Neal, Michael Caine, James Caan… and many more

Synopsis:

Operation Market Garden, September 1944: The Allies attempt to capture several strategically important bridges in the Netherlands in the hope of breaking the German lines. However, mismanagement and poor planning result in its failure.

This is one of the famous battles of WWII — an incredibly daring and complicated mission that could’ve brought a quicker end to the war if it had succeeded. And Attenborough’s movie uses a classic blueprint: cast as many big-name stars as you can, spend a small fortune shooting as much of it real-for-real as you can, and the the result is a solid, strong, and entertaining movie that nonetheless falls short of greatness. But it’s still a damn good time, and should bring extra satisfaction to WWII buffs, since it follows history relatively closely and was the last movie (I think) able to use many of the historically accurate tanks and planes instead of mockups or replacements.

Another fun thing is to see how many stars you can identify: this is one of those movies where almost every significant speaking role (and even some of the not-to-significant ones) is played by a star or reasonably famous actor (for the time).

This is basically the sort of movie Nolan’s striving for with DUNKIRK — we’ll see if he can pull it off.

"Hey fatty, I've got a movie for ya - A Fridge Too Far!"

• Like 3

List looks great. Looking forward to a few I haven't seen.

I have a feeling these may make it based on what I've seen so far...

"man who would be king"

"Papillion"

Bridge over river Kwai 

Great escape

No way out

Somebody up there likes me

Behind the green door..... just kidding

Lawrence of Arabia  has got to be on there. 

• Like 2

List looks great. Looking forward to a few I haven't seen.

I have a feeling these may make it based on what I've seen so far...

"man who would be king"

"Papillion"

Bridge over river Kwai 

Great escape

No way out

Somebody up there likes me

Behind the green door..... just kidding

Lawrence of Arabia  has got to be on there. 

I think at least Lawrence of Arabia or Kwai are not "lesser-known"...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ttr said:

Agreed, but a lot of this forum (as with most of the interwebs) are less than 25 years old.

Film Students aside, I'd wager 90% of members in that age bracket that seen neither of those films, and maybe this could push one or two of those to watch it. Same as films like Sparticus or Casablanca (the latter of which I only saw for the first time last year).

(This is just me getting all high and mighty as its a rare occurrence where I have actually seen both of the old films mentioned in a post :D 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ttr said:

A lot of people I know born after the mid 80s aren't familiar very many classics and have watched few of them. I didnt think Kwai is that well known these days. Lawrence more likely known but it's teles picture. As well as as mine.?

A must watch

• Like 2