Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The list so far:

100. A Bridge Too Far

99. The Edge

98. Tequila Sunrise

97. The Bounty

96. Scanners

95. Dead Again

94. The Long Goodbye

93. After Hours

92. Tucker: The Man and His Dream

91. 9

90. Down and Out in Beverly Hills

More coming in a few hours.

10/10 so far

Dead Again is probably my favorite from this list. Branagh should make more films like this, elegant, stylish, sexy, clever and twisty

(Andy Garcia smoking a cigarette through his neck is never not horrifying.)

9 -  I didn't like this except on a technical level

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

95. Dead Again (1991)

1991-dead-again-poster1.jpg

written by: Scott Frank

directed by: Kenneth Branagh

starring: Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Robin Williams

Synopsis: 

Mike Church is a Los Angeles private detective who specializes in finding missing persons. He takes on the case of a mystery woman whom he calls Grace. She is suffering from amnesia and has no memories of her own. She keeps having nightmares involving the murder of a pianist, Margaret, by her husband Roman Strauss in the late 1940s. In an attempt to solve the mystery about these nightmares, Church seeks the help of Madson, who is an antiques dealer with the gift of hypnosis. The hypnosis sessions will soon begin to reveal some surprises.

A rip-roaring, tremendously entertaining néo-noir thriller. Branagh and Thompson are both brilliant as the detective and the mystery woman, and Robin Williams is hilarious in a small role as a former psychiatrist. Visually striking and featuring a wonderful score by Patrick Doyle, this is the sort of movie Hitchcock might’ve made if he was alive in the 90s.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

90. Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)

down-and-out-in-beverly-hills-movie-post
written by: Paul Mazursky & Leon Capetanos, based on the play by Rene Fauchois
directed by: Paul Mazursky
starring: Nick Nolte, Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss, Little Richard

Synopsis:
A rich but troubled family find their lives altered by the arrival of a vagrant who tries to drown himself in their swimming pool.

Mazursky's absurdist farce about shallow materialism and how easily it can cause people to drift apart from each other and lead their own separate, narcissistic lives. But that makes it sound like it's a big Message movie, when in fact it's a very funny comedy featuring Nolte, Midler, and Dreyfuss at their very best. Dreyfuss and Nolte (in particular) aren't necessarily known for their comedic roles, but they're excellent, and Midler was a powerhouse in the 80s.

Little Richard basically plays a fictional version of himself (!) and the wonderful character actress Elizabeth Pena has a nice role as well, as the maid who starts discovering her inner revolutionary spirit.

YASSSS!! Disney needs to get off their asses and gimme that Bluray. Ruthless People too.

• Like 1

90. Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)

down-and-out-in-beverly-hills-movie-poster-1986-1020243788.jpg

written by: Paul Mazursky & Leon Capetanos, based on the play by Rene Fauchois

directed by: Paul Mazursky

starring: Nick Nolte, Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss, Little Richard

Synopsis:

A rich but troubled family find their lives altered by the arrival of a vagrant who tries to drown himself in their swimming pool.

Mazursky's absurdist farce about shallow materialism and how easily it can cause people to drift apart from each other and lead their own separate, narcissistic lives. But that makes it sound like it's a big Message movie, when in fact it's a very funny comedy featuring Nolte, Midler, and Dreyfuss at their very best. Dreyfuss and Nolte (in particular) aren't necessarily known for their comedic roles, but they're excellent, and Midler was a powerhouse in the 80s.

Little Richard basically plays a fictional version of himself (!) and the wonderful character actress Elizabeth Pena has a nice role as well, as the maid who starts discovering her inner revolutionary spirit.

Dreyfuss not known for his comedic roles? I have always thought that he does little else than comedies... Probably tells more about what kind of movies (and at what era) I have watched (gimme Steakout III ?). Need to check his filmography.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Stingray said:

How long did it take to make the list, Tele? I don't mean doing write-ups, but just assembling 100 films.

Well, obviously it wasn't constantly, but I spent about a week jotting down titles and checking IMDB for ones that I might be forgetting. 

More coming very soon!

• Like 3

Dreyfuss not known for his comedic roles? I have always thought that he does little else than comedies... Probably tells more about what kind of movies (and at what era) I have watched (gimme Steakout III ?). Need to check his filmography.

Checked. Lot of movies I have not seen. Like Jaws, reckon it is somesort of "comedyhorror". Perhaps Sharknado of the 70s(?) Come to think of it, young Dreyfuss must have looked a lot like Ian Ziering with the curly hair and all... [emoji39]

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ttr said:

Checked. Lot of movies I have not seen. Like Jaws, reckon it is somesort of "comedyhorror". Perhaps Sharknado of the 70s(?) Come to think of it, young Dreyfuss must have looked a lot like Ian Ziering with the curly hair and all... emoji39.png

I probably overstated it when I said he's not known for comedy. He's certainly done his share of them, and often he brings a funny element to his characters (even in dramas or thrillers)... but DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS is one of the few where he cranks it up to 11 and goes full farce. :) 

• Like 1

89. The Killer (1989)

The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

written and directed by: John Woo

starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh

Synopsis: 

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

Most of you probably know John Woo’s name from the American movies he made: FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, among others. But he had a long and successful career directing action films in Hong Kong. The most famous of these is probably THE KILLER, a modern action that fully displays all of Woo’s signature flourishes: doves, two-handed gun fights, tons of explosions, gun kata, tremendous melodrama.

If you like action movies, and you haven’t seen this, you’re missing out. It’s the essence of Woo. Full gonzo insanity. Check out the brief trailer to get a sense of it.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

89. The Killer (1989)

The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

written and directed by: John Woo

starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh

Synopsis: 

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

Most of you probably know John Woo’s name from the American movies he made: FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, among others. But he had a long and successful career directing action films in Hong Kong. The most famous of these is probably THE KILLER, a modern action that fully displays all of Woo’s signature flourishes: doves, two-handed gun fights, tons of explosions, gun kata, tremendous melodrama.

If you like action movies, and you haven’t seen this, you’re missing out. It’s the essence of Woo. Full gonzo insanity. Check out the brief trailer to get a sense of it.

Now that's more my tempo.

• Like 3

88. To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

written by: William Friedkin & Gerald Petievich (from Petievich’s novel)

directed by: William Friedkin

starring: William Petersen, Willem Dafoe

To-Live-and-Die-in-LA_9e189d5d.jpg

Synopsis: 

A fearless Secret Service agent will stop at nothing to bring down the counterfeiter who killed his partner.

Legendary William Friedkin (THE EXORCIST, THE FRENCH CONNECTION) brings his hardboiled intensity to Los Angeles in this classic thriller. Very 80s in the best sense. William Petersen is a Secret Service agent hunting down a counterfeiting mastermind, and his pursuit becomes personal and all-consuming when Petersen’s partner is killed. Is it justice he’s after, or just revenge? Two things really stand out about this movie: Friedkin very deliberately shot in locations not usually featured in movies, and the result is an L.A. that feels much closer to what the city’s actually like. And secondly, this has one of the best car chases ever put on film, bar none.

Another action classic.

• Like 7