baumer

Monday Numbers (Dory)...20M or just under RTH

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Frozen had one of the best runs in BO history. From its 3rd weekend on, it turned a solid hit into one of the biggest zeitgeist hits of all time.

Not to mention it's literally Titanic-like run in Japan. That one's legendary.

• Like 8

Amazing number for Dory. It has great chances of beating Shrek 2, but we will have to wait for the second weekend drop. I think it will have amazing weekdays and good weekends (not so great compared to weekdays, as happen to Toy Story 3)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Olive said:

MU legs will have Dory ending at 445M, and that one's legs were cut by DM2 in its 3rd weekend.

Secret Life of Pets could hurt Dory from 4th weekend onwards.

God I want that film to break out. Seeing it this Friday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

So 19.9 / 155

tuesday 20 / 175

wednesday 14 / 189

thursday 13 / 202

be nearly to 300 after the 2nd weekend 

Even with an $80M 2nd weekend it is nowhere near $300M.

$290M will be near $300M

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Secret Life of Pets could hurt Dory from 4th weekend onwards.

God I want that film to break out. Seeing it this Friday.

It won't hurt Dory as bad as DM2 affected MU.

3 hours ago, pieman said:

It's sad that the only movies that have been able to cross $100M this year have been comic book movies or animated movies. It tells you a lot about the state of the film industry.

Critically acclaimed movies doing really well. Oh the horror. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Critically acclaimed movies doing really well. Oh the horror. 

I think pieman is saying good for animated and superhero movies, but it sucks that there aren't other big movies. Would be nice to see more American Snipers or Forest Gumps. 

• Like 2

I think @Baumer is completely right, although I don't think competition matters that much. Movies are just way more frontloaded, even compared to just a couple of years ago. Studios are aggressively maxing out screens for the first couple weeks and doing previews on as wide a scale as they can. 

So I don't think DORY holds as well as TS3, not nearly as well. And like I've said before, it doesn't have anything to do with quality or reception. It's just what happens when you have a target demo that's eager to see a movie and then completely saturate the marketplace for the first couple of weeks. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I think pieman is saying good for animated and superhero movies, but it sucks that there aren't other big movies. Would be nice to see more American Snipers or Forest Gumps. 

Given that those two films were over 20 years apart, and that there isnt much else like them in the $300M+ domestic club, I wouldnt hold your breath. Audiences seem to go for more fantastical stuff in their megablockbusters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kswiston said:

Given that those two films were over 20 years apart, and that there isnt much else like them in the $300M+ domestic club, I wouldnt hold your breath. Audiences seem to go for more fantastical stuff in their megablockbusters.

There's also Titanic and Passion of the Christ. Maybe not 300+ million levels, but 120-250 lvl movies would be nice, like Inception, Django, and Argo would be nice.

• Like 1