WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Just now, department store basement said:

That's REALLY surprising considering Anarchy had such good WOM for a horror sequel.

There's not a lot of buzz; it feels like marketing peaked months ago with those "I purged" ads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

That's REALLY surprising considering Anarchy had such good WOM for a horror sequel.

Not to me. There's been very little buzz for the film. Good WOM can maybe bring it up but I don't see it having a Conjuring type opening. 

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Illumination is going to have to start settling for 100M-low 200's if they keep alienating older audiences; given the budgets on their movies they should be fine with that.

I honestly kinda fear what'll happen to Dreamworks with Meledandri in charge. I don't know how much influence he'll have in the creative process, but considering how Illumination's best movie I can really only classify as being "good", I don't really know if DWA's films will have any bump in quality, and when older audiences begin to lose interest in Illumination and likely DWA's schtick, we could go back to Peabody and Sherman numbers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think Illumination needs to stop being lazy with the storytelling. Watching the Zootopia doc shows how much effort WDAS into the story, constantly retooling it until they got it right and I imagine because of budgets, Illumination don't do that.

Even thought I love Zootopia, I think John Lasseter's storytelling process might be a bit stifling. I wonder if directors and writers will have greater creative freedom once Lasseter doesn't work at Disney anymore.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Even thought I love Zootopia, I think John Lasseter's storytelling process might be a bit stifling. I wonder if directors and writers will have greater creative freedom once Lasseter doesn't work at Disney anymore.

I think the story trust approach can be stifling but you cannot deny that it's produce a lot of great films. 

Keep in mind The Shallows will be a late night walk up crowd movie and if it opens to 13-15 mill that is fantastic. I really think the word of mouth on it is going to be good enough to carry it to a pretty good multiplier.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Keep in mind The Shallows will be a late night walk up crowd movie and if it opens to 13-15 mill that is fantastic. I really think the word of mouth on it is going to be good enough to carry it to a pretty good multiplier.

Funny you mention that because an hour ago the last three showings for the night at my theater were semi sold out and I just checked now and they're all sold out now. The 5PM showing was also sold out. The daytime ones, were pretty meh. About 50% full. I think it could have done more had it been played on more than one screen though but that's just me. Plus if you look at its user rating which has gone up since last night and it's Twitter tracking, it's clear its WOM is somewhat positive. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I honestly kinda fear what'll happen to Dreamworks with Meledandri in charge. I don't know how much influence he'll have in the creative process, but considering how Illumination's best movie I can really only classify as being "good", I don't really know if DWA's films will have any bump in quality, and when older audiences begin to lose interest in Illumination and likely DWA's schtick, we could go back to Peabody and Sherman numbers.

I kind of agree there. At least on the quality front it seems like DWA will become far more "kidified" if Meledandri's work in Illumination is anything to go by. They do tread dangerous waters there by only appealing to a family demo. It can be fine if it looks really appealing to kids like a Minions or Pets, but eventually they will find it harder for their movies to be big hits. 

57 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I say again, Illumination doesn't need an adult audience for their movies to be massive. They have kids totally hooked on their brand of animation, and just like Minions Pets will be carried by that demo to 275+. 

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A movie doesn't get to $336M from just families going to see it.

Pharrell Williams has been strongly attached to the first two Despicable Me movies.  A song like "Happy" which got massive airplay and helped promote the movie.  I think having Williams linked to the movie, and if he can churn out another solid hit, will bring in the teens and 20 something hipsters to Despicable Me 3. 

1 minute ago, Jim Shorts said:

Pharrell Williams has been strongly attached to the first two Despicable Me movies.  A song like "Happy" which got massive airplay and helped promote the movie.  I think having Williams linked to the movie, and if he can churn out another solid hit, will bring in the teens and 20 something hipsters to Despicable Me 3. 

I don't think most people actually associate Happy with DM2.

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

There's not a lot of buzz; it feels like marketing peaked months ago with those "I purged" ads.

For some reason, there has just not been any marketing for Purge 3 in the past month. The elections should have been a perfect time to come up with viral videos or posters and so on to keep spreading the word online. The final marketing push doesn't seem to have come for the movie.

• Like 1