WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

I don't think many were questioning their decision to move, because it was a good one based on theater counts it was going to be able to get, but more was that they moved because they wanted to compete with Independence Day.  

They moved because they could grab 2,900+ theaters this week and were likely to be closer to 2,000 theaters if they waited until next week.  

Which makes sense however I'll be the first to admit that I was wondering what they were doing because it was so close to the release date. And then when I saw the $7M projection, I thought they may have messed this one up. But credit where it's due for them recognizing the theater counts that they were going to get between the two weekends and actually then acting on it. 

• Like 1

Just came downstairs to my sister watching tv and there was this ad for some Star Wars toy, "grab on to your lightsaber! Hold onto your droids! And turn on the hyperdrive!"

They really should have double checked how those lines sound coming from the voice of some man before putting it on kids tv.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kswiston said:

This year it's the "sequels are dead" narrative. 

Until Jason Bourne does MI4/MI5 numbers or even better (if it manages to receive acclaim) 

The sequels that are performing poorly are ones no one particularly sought. 

Edited by mahnamahna

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Dory if it has a similar performance to Minions's second weekend:

23.2M Friday

32.5M Saturday

26M Sunday

81.7M Weekend

Dory is more likely to follow TS3

• Like 1

The idea of an Independence Day sequel wasn't a bad idea tbh. And releasing it on the 20th anniversary of the first movie was also a great marketing idea. But apparently they just forgot to write a story that would justify it and the marketing didn't push the 20th anniversary angle hard enough either.

The lack of Will Smith did hurt as well as that would have been another big marketing hook as opposed to this nonsense they tried

• Like 4

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Star Trek and Jason Bourne will do well and then all this "sequels are dead" talk will go away.

Somehow I don't see Star Trek increasing from STID. The marketing for Beyond has been somewhat pitiful and they are also actively angering the fanbase with the fan film guidelines they released.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Star Trek and Jason Bourne will do well and then all this "sequels are dead" talk will go away.

Bourne 5 will do MI5 numbers and Star Trek will see a giant drop from Into Darkness. None of them will be a good performer.

Just now, grim22 said:

Somehow I don't see Star Trek increasing from STID. The marketing for Beyond has been somewhat pitiful and they are also actively angering the fanbase with the fan film guidelines they released.

It's been known for a while that it's not increasing domestically :lol: 

Paramount is in deep shit this year:

13 Hours: -30.6M

Zoolander: -72M

WTF: -45.1M

Cloverfield: +78.3M

TMNT: Has potential to lose 10-20M depending how it does in China, fortunately there's toy sales to fall back on

Paramount is in the red and Star Trek won't be able to bring them so far in the green. Brad Grey needs to go.