WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Pets is going to lack appeal for older audiences; Dory will get hit but not that much, probably something similar to IO

True, Dory has been skewing older than the average animated film.

But have we considered how much Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is going to cause legs to  crumble? Or the Legend of Tarzan?!

• Like 2

Just now, MrPink said:

True, Dory has been skewing older than the average animated film.

But have we considered how much Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is going to cause legs to  crumble? Or the Legend of Tarzan?!

Nah, The Infiltrator will totally cause its collapse. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jeff Goldblank said:

Outside of film nerds like me and my parents, literally everyone I know wants to see Ghostbusters

I know this is anecdotally speaking, but Feig will deliver at least a serviceable movie and thus it'll do reasonably well still. Certainly bigger than anything this summer so far besides Dory and Civil War

Pets will do better IMO. I don't see Ghostbusters doing $225 million+ DOM with Star Trek, Bourne, Bad Moms and Suicide Squad taking portions of its audience in the coming weeks (tentpole demo, comedy demo, female demo). 

It'll do $150-225 million DOM and prove to be a bright spot in a summer of disappointments. 

3 day predictions for next weekend:

Finding Dory: 44M

The Purge: 24M

The BFG: 22M

Independence Day: 20.5M

The Legend of Tarzan: 19M

The Shallows: 9.5M

Central Intelligence: 9M

Free State of Jones: 4.2M

The Conjuring: 3.9M

Now You See Me: 3.1M

7 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Central Intelligence has zero competition this week, so I expect a 15-20% drop over the 4-day. Tarzan/ID4-2 target tentpole crowds. BFG/Dory target families. Purge/Shallows target teens/college kids. CI is the sole broad comedy out, so I expect it to hold. I could see a slightly larger drop, but I prefer to be optimistic. 

I said I was bullish on Shallows. I just like seeing good films have legs. $45 million+ and possibly finishing above Purge 3 is a huge victory. 

CI is going to have to deal with a TC loss of at least 500, I can't see it holding that well.

3 minutes ago, department store basement said:

How the hell did Jungle Book have only an 18% drop even though it lost half its theaters?

Seems like it was the beneficiary of double features with Dory

6 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

We don't have the ID:R number for overseas yet. Maybe a bad sign there. :ohmyzod:

102 mill

Edited by fmpro

Yeah, 2016 isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Pets and Suicide Squad are sure to pass 200 million. Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Bourne, and IA5 will all pass 100 million hopefully. At this time last year, the remainder of the summer had only Ant-Man, Minions, MI, and SOoC left. The biggest difference between last year and this year was Jurassic World. That's a pretty huge difference in terms of $$$$$, but it's just one, really really big movie. And you never know, maybe Legend of Tarzan and BFG will do better than what's being predicted.

In other words, at least ID2 > T:G.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Pets will do better IMO. I don't see Ghostbusters doing $225 million+ DOM with Star Trek, Bourne, Bad Moms and Suicide Squad taking portions of its audience in the coming weeks (tentpole demo, comedy demo, female demo). 

It'll do $150-225 million DOM and prove to be a bright spot in a summer of disappointments. 

GB isn't touching 200m

50-60m OW and 120-140m total. 

Excelent hold for Dory

Very good start for Shallows. Hopefully it has good holds over the course of its run

Good hold for CI

LOL at ID2

• Like 4