chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Danger Zone this low?  WTF?

What a Feeling this low...WTF?

Living in America making it is great.

Number one is definitely going to be some stupid Disney song.

Well i was 2 out of 3 for baumer being disappointed :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chasmmi said:

88th - 37 points (3 votes, 1 top 5)

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - Spiderman 2

Remember when Spiderman was good? YEah it was so long ago wasn't it. But it was things like this that made it so. Tobey Maguire being the best Peter Parker and a song that epitomises what it must feeling like to have the weight of the universe on your shoulders one day, and cast it aside the next. It's a lovely scene in a great film.

The right song, but wrong movie

• Like 4

84th - 39 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

Argh I did it again...

Theme From Shaft - Shaft

I'll let you in on a secret: I really liked the Samuel Jackson remake of this, I thought it was immensely entertaining and SLJ actually had the cool to pull the role off.

But anyhow, let's get back to the theme and Isaac Hayes being the coolest mother... mother... mother... no? Nobody gonna tell me to shut my mouth? Ok then :(

I will say though, that is one long arse musical intro though. Even so this is classic film theme and cannot be argued that it doesn't deserve to be here.

• Like 5

83rd - 39 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Do Re Mi - Sound of Music

I won't lie, I found this one of the most infuriating things I've ever had to endure. I do truly hate this film, but I am also in the minority and Andrews of course has a great singing voice (and I'll thus let her have Mary Poppins :) ). It is obvious that Sound of music is going to pop up again, I am bracing myself, the vast majority are celebrating. But it's now been 221 seconds and there are now 7 children on the planet that I need to slap (that are all now about 60 years old I expect.)

• Like 8

82nd - 40 points (3 votes, 1 top 10)

Ain't no Mountain High Enough - Remember the Titans

The first time that we see the same song appear twice and this is a good example of how the same song can be used in two different ways. Whereas GOTG was a blow off 80s tune to wrap up the film with an end montage in line with its soundtrack, this version has a lot more going on and the song is the backdrop from which the scene unfolds.

There are worse songs to have on the list twice.

• Like 6

81st - 40 points (3 votes, 1 top 5)

What it should have been:

What it actually was:

New York New York - New York New York New York New York New Yor....

Start spreading the news, Frankie made the list. It's probably the coolest song of its era and maybe any era. If you are a city owner, you want this as your theme tune don't you? I have never seen the film so it could be a classic or something horribly forgettable, but regardless the song is timeless and is another golden age addition to the list.

• Like 6

=79th - 40 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

13 hours ago, The Pandaren said:

The right song, but wrong movie

Don't worry, got ya covered young Pandawan.

May it Be - Lord of the Rings

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Well we had one double entry with ain't no Mountain. Now we get it again with Butch and Sunny. This is such a good song isn't it, it really brightens a scene and brings out the happiness that the characters are feeling together. I also agree this is a better use than Spiderman and thus it deserves the higher placement.

Oh and Enya made it too :) 

• Like 8

78th - 40 points (5 votes)

My Favourite Things - Sound of Music

God I think I just caught Diabetes from a song. And isn't a brown paper package tied up with string likely to be anthrax or something sinister?

I'm sorry I'll try to stay impartial if the film turns up again. I can maybe twist my ears and imagine that if I liked this film then these songs would be cheery and uplifting and wonderful. Hell SOM has a fan base that makes Marvel, DC and Nolan seem like people that might partake in a film once in a decade or so. Singalong Sound of Music events are still huge 97 years later and the film has stood the test of times for fans. I'm just sorry that it pretty much has everything I hated about pre-1980s musicals.

• Like 8

77th - 42 points (4 votes)

Can you feel the Love Tonight - Lion King

You knew this film was coming, you probably knew this song was coming, just maybe expecting it a little later in the reveals. For me I really love how they take the Elton John song and twist into plot based verses. The Lion King was one of Elton John's best achievements as an artist and (I'm going to go there) the best soundtrack Disney ever did (Well it's my personal number two, but I think if I try to ignore my bias, I'd put it number 1).

Therefore there may be more songs to see.

Spoiler: It might be...

• Like 5

76th - 42 points (5 votes)

I've had the Time of My Life - Dirty Dancing

76th!!! seventy fudging sixth! The Eighties people! Go look it up. I swear, if a Step up to the Streets or Coyote Ugly song turns up about this, I'm going to start murdering folks.

All hyperbole aside, this is the ultimate dance movie song, It's Swayze for Pete's sake, he was romantic cinema for a while and tis, well it is Dirty Dancing, anyone who doesn't like Dirty Dancing is Dead inside. Now I am going to go have a little cry and prepare for a deluge of 14 Sound of Music songs to fill the spots from now until 63rd.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

77th - 42 points (4 votes)

Can you feel the Love Tonight - Lion King

You knew this film was coming, you probably knew this song was coming, just maybe expecting it a little later in the reveals. For me I really love how they take the Elton John song and twist into plot based verses. The Lion King was one of Elton John's best achievements as an artist and (I'm going to go there) the best soundtrack Disney ever did (Well it's my personal number two, but I think if I try to ignore my bias, I'd put it number 1).

Therefore there may be more songs to see.

Spoiler: It might be...

it missed the top 50!!!! :ohmyzod:someone's gonna pay!

• Like 1

75th - 43 points (3 votes)

When Doves Cry - Purple Rain

I was expecting purple rain to be the one to make it if anything from this film was going to. Yet no, Purple rain the song only managed 164th, When Doves Cry cracks the top 100. I'm suspecting its all the sexy times going on in the scene, you dirty little forum you ;) 

The big question though is which is the better film: Moonwalker, Purple Rain or Help?

• Like 5

Be warned folks that you are about to get another bout of angry chasmmi who forgets that he himself was only 6 years and 6 weeks old when the 80s ended so didn't exactly see any of these in the theatres, but I am still mad goddammit. And what is more along with number 76 above, you are making baumer sad! For Shame forum! for shame!!

74th - 43 points

You Take My Breath Away - Top Gun

Top Gun!!! You couldn't even give Top Gun a top 50 spot :( You even get to see some of that sexy time that you all crave. It's okay Charlie we still have that awesome scene from Officer and a Gentle... what's that? Didn't even make top 400? :(:(:(

You people are starting to make me feel like Tele what with your ummm Sound of Musics and New York New York... actually this may be one of the younger songs on the list. Plot Twist! It's the pensioners that are to blame!

• Like 4

I loved SOM, but I only put 16/17 and Edwelweiss on my list personally. The other songs are good - just don't really enhance the film in my opinion. Do-Re-Mi/Favourite Things are okay, but I think Edelweiss captures the war and romance subplots better.

Definitely agree with Lion King being too low.

Would definitely have put all the 80s songs up higher in my list if I knew they'd end up this low. Forgot that most of the bottom end of top 100 gives 1 point

Edited by xequalsy
  • Like 1

73rd - 43 points (3 votes, 2 top 5)

Lullaby - Pan's Labyrinth

Okay, I am not sure if that is all just humming or just what Spanish singing sounds like, but this song upon listening sounds like it may have snuck into the list despite being ineligible (Especially as another song was struck from the list due to a lack of lyrics - only 1 mind).

This song has had massive support from a small crowd and is for a foreign film I really feel I should watch but don't know if I ever with. If I was 15 years younger and buying new DVDs every week, I would have seen this, sadly Korea is not a place for classic modern foreign language cinema on DVD.  

• Like 6

72nd - 43 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Live and Let Die - Live and Let Die

I'm going to go controversial again... If you remove each members top 3 solo songs, Paul McCartney's post BEatles career kicks Lennon's arse. Wings was a great band and this was a super cool Bond Theme with a credit sequence I have just discovered is going to haunt my nightmares.

But is it the highest rated Bond Theme? Has anything else snuck on the list? We shall see in time.

• Like 6

71st - 43 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

All That Jazz - Chicago

You've got no idea how confusing it was that I also received votes for songs from a film called All That Jazz. It really messed with my head. Not as much as continually trying to write Raindrops keep falling on my head as a song from Singing in the Rain but still.

Anyhow, classic musical is classic and it does its classic thing here in a classic musical filmy way.

• Like 4

And I may be about to finish this stint on yet more Julie Andrews... :unsure:

70th - 44 (5 votes)

Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious - Mary Poppins

Thank God it was Mary Poppins, I don't think I could manage pretending that I loved a song about how singing three little piggies can make the bombs turn into buttercups or whatever happens in that horrible other film.

But Mary Poppins is just pure wonderful and I am secretly kind of excited in the sequel they are making and whether they can capture any of that pure magic from back in the day.

• Like 5