chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

58th - 48 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

Heaven's Light/Hellfire - Hunchback of Notre Dame

I will try to keep my bias in check here as I consider this the best pure villain song that Disney ever did. It is so surprisingly dark and as a person who only saw Hunchback for the first time about 2 years ago, it is a shocking and ambitious animation that really has some unexpectedly dark moment (of which this song may be the darkest).

This song's story is so haunting and the blend of Latin (which if you translate into English makes the song even more awesome), just create a stunning song in one of the most underrated films out there, let alone just Disney animation. If you haven't seen it, or only saw it when you were let's say younger than 16 at least, give it another go now when the context shines through.

I think I failed at keeping the praise level headed, sorry :( 

• Like 9

57th - 49 points (4 votes)

Puttin' on the Ritz - Young Frankenstein

I am afraid to say that this is not a film I ever managed to see. As a younger person, my aversion to black and white kept me from seeing it (even though it isn't a black and white film out of necessity), and in more recent years, I don't know, it comes from a niche corner of the comedy genre I often just don't gravitate to.

Therefore I will leave it to the many commenters that will soon sweep in to explain the greatness behind this rendition. I did chuckle at the monster parts of the song and the end of the scene also suggest this could be a turning point in the film. I'll watch it one day.

• Like 8

56th - 49 points (5 votes)

Come And Get Your Love - Guardians of the Galaxy

Another vote for the best soundtrack in the Marvel Universe. This is also the final time we will see the folk what guard the galaxy too (Hooked on a Feeling landed at 178th :( )

This was a great opening track that felt like the opening to an 80s film. Something that really works well with Starlord essentially being an 80s kid in a 21st century galaxy with no point of reference with which to update his references. (Wouldn't it be quite fun at some future point to see him and Captain America interact with Captain for once being the half of the conversation who is down with the pop culture and not having things go over his head for once :) )

This I believe is also the last time we will see the Marvel Universe on this list. In fact this is the last time we will see superheroes at all on this list I believe (well I suppose some sort of cameo in that one film still to come...)

• Like 7

The first double bill in a long time featuring at least one song I love immensely...

=54th - 50 points (3 votes, 1 top 5)

The Sound of Music - The Sound of Music

God Gave Rock and Roll - Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Let's start with the top one: It is obvious that one more song is still to come so I would try to pretend this could be the top scoring Sound of music song. I will say though that as a non-fan of the film it surprises me that this one came second. I'd have considered this the much more epic crescendo-like height of the film over the ballad that is still to come. I will add that the difference in points rests on the other song receiving a more steady stream of votes compared to this which got one big vote and a couple of other strong picks also. That also surprises me as I would have expected almost every fan of the Sound of Music soundtrack to have included this somewhere in the list.

As for God Gave Rock and Roll... I can't think of a more perfect end to the film. This song and end credits just felt like the song really could have been the song that began the road to world peace. I am a person who prefers Bogus Journey to Excellent Adventure (although both are great) and part of that is I pick the end scene of this over the end scene to BATEA every time. I would pay all the moneys for this song to be available in Korean Karaoke rooms.  

• Like 9

53rd - 50 points (4 votes)

Skyfall - Skyfall

At the very worst, the best Bond credits since Goldeneye. At best, best Bond song ever. And seeing how high we are getting in this chart, will it be the highest scoring Bond song?

Adele created a song that took other the world almost as much as Skyfall itself did to the point that some even put some of Spectre's drop down to the lack of an Adele follow up song. It's an awesome song that is complimented by the best visual credits since Live and Let Die and everything just feels so thematically in sync with everything else.

Good job James.

• Like 6

52nd - 50 points (5 votes)

Constant Sorrow - O Brother, Where art Thou

Well it has been nearly 5 positions since I've had a song and film I haven't seen :) The Coen/Clooney double act just never really grabbed me enough to go out and watch the films.

Therefore I will leave the video here in all its glory and add that it is I believe the 4th highest scoring song to not receive a top 10 vote. (The 3rd highest also scored 50 points and will show up very soon ;) )

• Like 11

51st - 50 points (5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

The End - Apocalypse Now

Talk about a song that could make it onto any musical list. This intro song is an epic start to a massive film in cinema history, yet the question remains: would it have been the top Apocalypse now entrant if this list covered non-lyrical music as Ride of the Valkyries is so synonymous with the film you'd think it was composed with the movie in mind.

As it is, this is the stand out Vietnam war film song on the list. I believe this is also the top rated war film song on the list too (when War film means a song in which people are specifically fighting in a war, not just a film taking place during a period of war.  

• Like 8

50th - 50 points (7 votes)

Hakuna Matata - The Lion King

Well one thing is for certain: It was not a passing phrase. :)

The lover of symmetry in me is happy that 50th place scored 50 points. This is also the first song to receive 7 votes (This won't happen again until 33rd). The Lion King song that has the growing up montage to kick off the second half of the film. (Yes I am also shocked that this not just beat Can you feel the love tonight, but destroyed it my over 20 places).

Oh btw, I just can't wait to be king came in at 227th

• Like 11

So with 49 songs to go, let's say a little something about what to expect...

Of the 49:

29 are from films yet to appear in the top 150

20 have appeared at least once

5 Disney films have yet to make their first appearance I believe

5 films will appear more than once

2 will appear more than twice

9 are from films I have not seen :(

The order of the top 10 will surprise a lot of people.

Disney animation is represented inside the top 20 :P 

In total during the collection of votes, 4 songs were at some point in the lead of the vote. None of those songs have yet to appear although the first will do so in 32nd place.

Of my personal top 10, 3 songs have already made the top 150, 3 missed the list completely and 4 are still to come.  

Unless they look at the voting lists of other members in the vote thread, I do not expect anybody would correctly guess more than 6 or 7 of the top 10 in one ballot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

57th - 49 points (4 votes)

Puttin' on the Ritz - Young Frankenstein

I am afraid to say that this is not a film I ever managed to see. As a younger person, my aversion to black and white kept me from seeing it (even though it isn't a black and white film out of necessity), and in more recent years, I don't know, it comes from a niche corner of the comedy genre I often just don't gravitate to.

You fix this travesty of judgement right now!! NOW I SAY!!!!

====

Seriously though, Young Frankenstein is still to this day on of the funniest movies I have ever seen, regardless of the genre.  That it actually manages to be a rather sweet and tender film underneath its laughs is a major accomplishment.

That it is probably only second to Blazing Saddles when it comes to endless quotability for a Mel Brooks film?  Well, that just seals the deal.

I literally can not recommend this film enough.  It does have a certain style, yes, that isn't to everyone's taste.  But it might also be the most "serious" of the classic Mel Brooks comedies (outside of The Twelve Chairs, which is a really atypical Mel Brooks film no matter how one looks at it).  YF is far more like The Producers than it is like the rest of Brooks output.  But even The Producers doesn't quite fit as a comp.

Plus it's got Gene Hackman in it (and no, I ain't telling you where :ph34r:)! :lol:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

56th - 49 points (5 votes)

Come And Get Your Love - Guardians of the Galaxy

Another vote for the best soundtrack in the Marvel Universe. This is also the final time we will see the folk what guard the galaxy too (Hooked on a Feeling landed at 178th :( )

This was a great opening track that felt like the opening to an 80s film. Something that really works well with Starlord essentially being an 80s kid in a 21st century galaxy with no point of reference with which to update his references. (Wouldn't it be quite fun at some future point to see him and Captain America interact with Captain for once being the half of the conversation who is down with the pop culture and not having things go over his head for once :) )

This I believe is also the last time we will see the Marvel Universe on this list. In fact this is the last time we will see superheroes at all on this list I believe (well I suppose some sort of cameo in that one film still to come...)

Aw, Star Spangled Man didn't make it. 

for the sake of Patriotism and the 4th and such...

• Like 2

big jump of 3 points now...

49th - 53 points (6 votes)

I Will Always Love You - The Bodyguard

This song is in the same universe as Unchained melody in that the song (and maybe the scene with the song) far out-famouses the film itself. The Bodyguard is probably known by many (fairly or unfairly) as that film with the Whitney Houston song. It's also Costner at the height of his power (This song spent 9 or 10 weeks at number 1 in the UK which when you add in the 16 weeks of Everything I Do, is an awful lot of Kevin in the singles charts).

This is the 3rd highest placing song to not receive a top 10 vote (and the highest non-animated one).

• Like 8