chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

I think you all knew that one final Bond song was still to come...

48th - 56 points (5 votes, 1 top 5)

Goldfinger - Goldfinger

Pre-Brosnan, this was widely considered the greatest Bond film ever (and many still believe that after the modern entries are accounted for too.) It also has one of the most iconic themes to go with it. I am not claiming that Brosnan Bond films are superior to the Connery/Moore et all fayre, just that it marked the change in Bond from being that fun British Spy Film to a more modern, polished Hollywoody action franchise.

There's also a nice thematic trilogy of Bassey, Turner and Adele bringing their own take on the Bond power Ballad to each film and maybe it can be argued that the lower standing of Goldeneye as a film over Skyfall and Goldfinger is what dropped it down to 488th instead of the top 60 the other two achieved.

Goldfinger is deservedly iconic, whatever the criteria though and it isn't a bad choice for top Bond Theme.

• Like 8

47th - 58 points (5 votes, 2 top 10)

If I Were a Rich Man - Fiddler On The Roof

The most iconic song in movies where the singer consistently forgets the words to the chorus every single time :P  Obviously the Teles of this world will decry that such a famous song falls so low on the list and they may have a point. But we are at the point in every list when there are about 45 films/songs that must finish in the top 20 and thus many will miss out.

I'd still argue that a decent amount of classic cinema is making it a fair way up the list and that continues all through the spine of the list to come. That's a win.

• Like 8

Now I personally am happy to see this be so high on the list.

46th - 58 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

Everything is Awesome - The Lego Movie

Considering how young a lot of the forum here is, surprising only 6 songs from the 20th century made the list this high (the 3rd youngest of which still being pre-2004), meaning that this is one of only two films from the past 10 years to get a song in the top 50 (a shiny cookie if you can somehow guess the other :P )

The youngest song in the top 50, this was such a surprising joy of a film to watch and that is epitomised by this song. There's even a nice synergy between how The LEgo Movie was supposed to be a shameless cash in that small children were told they should like even though it isn't very good and this songs role in the film and how it is a song created to help control the likes of the populace, yet it is also secretly enjoyed by the main rebel character.

This almost feels like the PG answer to America: Fuck Yeah. It's a great song and a great part of the film.

• Like 6

45th - 59 points (6 votes)

Gaston - Beauty and the Beasts

Amazingly we have waited 105 songs to get something from Beauty and the Beast and it is the villain song. When receiving votes this was one of 4 songs that I saw on a list and went "D'oh, I forgot that one!" and subsequently slotted it into my list.

This really was a great film for songs and I can't wait to see if the live action version can pull them off. I don't want to add any more, but will say that at least 2 songs from this film received votes yet missed the top 150.

• Like 7

44th - 60 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

Aquarius - Hair

A musical that is pretty damn famous, but I have never seen. It is a pretty nice little song, I will give it that. Just very little more I can say about it.

Hair received votes for 5 different songs, but this was the only one to make the top 250. x films in the master list received votes for 4 or more songs without any reaching the top 150, they were:

You've got Mail - 4 votes - highest score: 5 points

Napolean Dynamite - 4 votes: all 1 point

Into The Woods - 4 votes - Highest Score 6 points

My Fair Lady - 4 votes - Highest score 10 points (from 3 votes)

Grease - 4 votes - highest score: 20 points

Dazed and Confused - 5 votes - Highest score: 10 points

Walk the Line - 7 votes - highest score: 2 points

• Like 4

Sorry for the delay, worried I had had a maths breakdown for the next entry, but was just a remnant from an older mistake involving confusing votes for this and another song from the same film...

43rd - 60 points (4 votes, 1 1st place, 1 top 10)

Somewhere - West Side Story

Still in the land of classic musicals, we have the film that is about to be remade by Steven Spielberg in the next couple of years. And as with the previous song it falls into that void of my film watching experience. The film certainly has a big fanbase though as we still have songs (plural) from it to come on our list.

So therefore anyone claiming it is too low is just being greedy :P 

• Like 8

And now a bit of Elton...

42nd - 60 points (5 votes, 1 top 5)

Tiny Dancer - Almost Famous

Now I would contend that this is one of those songs that would just make any scene better. Someone go edit this song over the top of the Wrestler ending or something and see if I am right.

This scene right here feels so well done though, as it really is a song you can't help but get carried away by regardless of the atmosphere before hand. It is infectious and that permeates into the film scene also.

• Like 6

41st - 61 points (5 votes, 3 top 10)

was that not it?

Fight The Power - Do The Right Thing

Apparently these are the best opening credits in history (although to be fair, the video was uploaded in 2012 and Deadpool wasn't a thing back then :) )

This is the first film on our list to be top 10 for 3 different voters and thus has a pretty high points per vote of 12. This continues my sorry run of there being a frequent number of films I cannot say too much about. Luckily though that spell is about to end...  

• Like 5

The highest scoring song by anything that is not quite a mop and not quite a puppet...

40th - 61 points (5 votes, 1 1st place)

Rainbow Connection - The Muppets Movie

Well if Muppet Christmas Carol wasn't going to make it, then I will allow this as a substitute. This song is proof that nice little windows of emotion can come from the most unexpected sources. The Muppets have made their fair share of more than acceptable films in their history and those films have included a decent number of more than acceptable songs.

This one just happens to be more than more than acceptable.

• Like 8

I need to go do some summer game scoring and if that is done quickly enough I will get maybe 10 more of these done later,

That will include:

3 previously unseen animated films

2 of the greatest bands of all time

1 film appearing twice in the space of 5 songs

3 films we have seen before

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Sorry for the delay, worried I had had a maths breakdown for the next entry, but was just a remnant from an older mistake involving confusing votes for this and another song from the same film...

43rd - 60 points (4 votes, 1 1st place, 1 top 10)

Somewhere - West Side Story

Still in the land of classic musicals, we have the film that is about to be remade by Steven Spielberg in the next couple of years. And as with the previous song it falls into that void of my film watching experience. The film certainly has a big fanbase though as we still have songs (plural) from it to come on our list.

So therefore anyone claiming it is too low is just being greedy :P 

I don't get why people voted for this one over Tonight or even America...

But hey I guess everyone has their own taste...

21 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

I don't get why people voted for this one over Tonight or even America...

But hey I guess everyone has their own taste...

I suspect we'll end up seeing those higher up ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chasmmi said:

44th - 60 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

Aquarius - Hair

A musical that is pretty damn famous, but I have never seen. It is a pretty nice little song, I will give it that. Just very little more I can say about it.

Hair received votes for 5 different songs, but this was the only one to make the top 250. x films in the master list received votes for 4 or more songs without any reaching the top 150, they were:

You've got Mail - 4 votes - highest score: 5 points

Napolean Dynamite - 4 votes: all 1 point

Into The Woods - 4 votes - Highest Score 6 points

My Fair Lady - 4 votes - Highest score 10 points (from 3 votes)

Grease - 4 votes - highest score: 20 points

Dazed and Confused - 5 votes - Highest score: 10 points

Walk the Line - 7 votes - highest score: 2 points

Well deserved placement but THE song from Hair is Flesh Failures (Let The Sunshine In)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

39th - 62 points (4 votes, 2 top 5)

A Hard Day's Night - A Hard Day's Night

The final Beatles song on my list and while personally if I was picking a Beatles song for movies reasons, I'd be going for Yellow Submarine, it is hard to deny any song from a Beatles back-catalogue of its quality. The will always be in the conversation for great group of all time and thus for me the most surprising thing to me would be how their songs (judging from this list) are not often used to great effect in other movies.

I believe the only votes for Beatles Songs received were for songs in Beatles films.

• Like 5

38th - 62 points (5 votes, 1 top 5)

Tonight - West Side Story

While not a song that has become more famous than the film itself, Tonight is perhaps the one song a person is likely to recognise from West Side Story regardless of whether they have watched the film or not. In the same way as Sound of Music and Supercalifrajilisticexpialadocious are the most famous songs of their respective films, it does not mean they are necessarily the best or most popular (none of the three finished top on this list for their movie), just perhaps that they are the most seminal.

• Like 8

37th - 62 points (5 votes, 1 1st place)

When She Loved Me - Toy Story 2

Now I am one of those rare folks out there that considers Toy Story 2 the best of the trilogy. It's a great film amidst a trio of great films and has for me the best comic moments of the three and some of the most emotional. I would still consider this position  to still be on the high side though compared to the songs and scenes around it, but it is an emotional point in a great film that does use a song in a great way.

Pixar is not a studio that will dominate a list like this one as it would most other lists it may be eligible for, but every now and again, it does pull out a memorable musical moment.

• Like 11