chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

36th - 63 points (6 votes)

The Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book

I dare any of you to hate on this. Come on! I'll take you all on if I have to!

Seriosuly though, we are smack bang in Disney Classic Land right here with the highest rated song to not received at least 1 top 10 placement. When I was trying to be objective earlier I was saying that Lion King had the best overall soundtrack of any Disney film. However subjective chasmmi is firmly in camp Jungle Book. This is my favourite Disney animation or well any animation and thus will always hold a high place in my heart.

I may be able to understand people arguing the story is weak compared to song, but the songs... the songs are just great all the way through in my opinion.  

• Like 8

35th - 64 points (4 votes, 2 top 10)

Cabaret - Cabaret

The final appearance from Cabaret on this list and its quite a jaunty, yet dark little number isn't it. It's also pretty obvious that this whole family had quite a singing voice to them. The film in general received a decent amount of love here with Tomorrow Belongs to me already on the list, Wilkommen at 158th, Maybe this time at 353rd and Mein Herr at 470th.

• Like 8

34th -64 points (5 votes, 1 1st place)

Into the West - Lord of the Rings

Toy Story, I take it back, this is the highest ranked song that I cannot argue for its high position :P 

Now it's been 12 years since I have seen anything from Middle Earth (due to ROTK destroying the enjoyment for me), and so my memory of the franchise isn't as immediate as many on this forum. What I will say is that of the films I have seen in the top 50, this was the only one where I cannot immediate place the song within the context of the movie.  Was it background music to some scenes, was it after credits? I cannot remember it at all.

It is a great song in itself and I love Annie Lennox, so it may have been used really well in its seen, but it doesn't invoke instant memory of a film moment in me, that the rest of this list does (save films I haven't watched.)  

• Like 10

33rd - 66 pints (7 votes, 1 top 10)

Colours of the Wind - Pocahontas

I for one am happy to see this film get so high as Pocahontas has an underrated soundtrack.

As a non-American, the controversy behind this film's story and the fact that these characters were real people, does not trouble me as much as it would have many of its audience as I am not as close to the true story as many would be. It is clear that the Disnification of history really hurt this film and I would even wager that if the Pocashontas figure had been a mythical character similar to a Robin Hood, then this film may have actually resonated much better with audiences of the time and be looked back on more fondly today.

Whatever the theory, this is the best song within a film of great songs, and deserves its place here. I was hoping to see Once around the riverbend also finish higher than 256th but that wasn't to be.

• Like 8

Okay, going to head off to work now, so will possibly charge my way down to 21st tonight if I can avoid the call of soju's seductive charms. Otherwise Saturday or Sunday will see my return.

Horrible songs.  This list pretty much sucks so far.

Great work though Chas.....amazing job putting this all together.

• Like 2

Life Is a Cabaret so high is a pleasant surprise. Watched it again and goddamn, what a performance.

Into the West played in ROTK during the credits, which were those portraits of the actors.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If it was up to you we'd be neck deep in excruciating 80s power ballads. :P

80s movies had the best soundtracks. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Baumer said:

Horrible songs.  This list pretty much sucks so far.

Great work though Chas.....amazing job putting this all together.

Have you considered that the reason you are unhappy with these lower placements is because everything you are waiting for is in the top 10? (well apart from the 8 Disney songs that is...)

• Like 2

32nd - 70 points (7 votes, 2 top 10s)

Bohemian Rhapsody - Wayne's World

And it's an all time classic song from an all time classic film. Now some of you younger members might not recognise the strange plastic thing that Wayne sticks into his car... we used to call those things: cassette tapes.

Anyway, this was a song that saw steady support throughout the voting period and for good reason, it is probably the stand out scene from the film and brilliantly uses an iconic song to its full potential. I think it may be the 4th or 5th highest placing song that was not specifically written in some way for the movie it appears in.

• Like 9

31st - 70 points (4 votes, 2 1st places)

I Wanna Be Like You - Jungle Book

This was the first song to rise to the top of the provisional rankings as the votes were coming in each day and week. Yes this is technically because the first list added to the mega list was my own and I put it at number one, but it's still a classic Disney piece of genius and should be in the top 3 gosh darn it!!!

This is the final time we will see Jungle Book, but I am happy to see both the big numbers finish so high and I also enjoy both of their reincarnations in the new film. A Disney so good (and also old) that maybe even tele might approve of this one. :)

• Like 7

30th - 71 points (4 votes, 1 1st, 1 top 10)

Llorando - Muholland Drive

The final film on the list for which I have no idea at all what to say or what I am talking about. I take it that Llorando is a European language for Crying. Now obviously I do not know any context for what is in the video above (it honestly could be the wrong video for all I know), but its a well sung rendition of the song.

• Like 5

I think this may be our final tied position (and its for two songs that received zero top 10 votes thus putting paid to my earlier claims for Bare Necessities)

=28th - 71 points (6 votes)

Friend Like Me - Aladdin

Springtime for Hitler - The Producers

We haven't had much in the way of comedy songs for a while and now we get one of the best alongside a great genie number too.

What is quite hilarious about Springtime for Hitler is that the audience reaction is only so because they are essentially watching the production out of context, and if someone comes across this video on youtube out of context they will likely have the same reaction. It's a great song that comes refreshingly high on the list.

As for Genie, well its Robin Williams in full Robin Williams mode, doing a song. How can that fail?

• Like 9

and now its time for a song for Baumer :)

27th - 71 points (8 votes, 2 top 10)

I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing - Armageddon

Well you did it, you got Aerosmith and Bay into the top 30 (Well I did too). The first song on our list to receive 8 votes, and this will not happen again until 14th place on the list. 

Now being the connoisseur of film that I am, I can categorically state that Armageddon was a blockbuster masterpiece. IT had things going boom, great one liners, Bruce Willis still giving a damn and mother fucking Aerosmith. Tell me a better power balled to listen to during the end of the world, just one... see, you can't can you. Because this one is awesome. 

• Like 6

26th - 72 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

Edelweiss - Sound of Music

The Sound of Music's stranglehold on this list ends with its 5th and final entrant in the top 15, more than any other film (2 others had/have 4 songs out of which West Side story was one more point on "I Feel Pretty away from joing SOM on 5).

I have already mentioned my own personal surprise that this song beat out sound of music to top song of the film, and especially that it managed it through getting two votes more than the title song. Obviously it is the little folk song that resonates more with fans of the film than the more bombastic uplifting number the film is more famous for. It's a surprise to me, but it is far from the final time this list surprised me with the final positions of songs. 

• Like 7