kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

Suddenly 730+ can only mean just a couple of millions above that :rolleyes: 730M+ means what it means, c'est à dire more than 730M. Combine it with "more than 260M" DOM, and you get a total of "more than 990M WW". Which is what we already knew.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Omni said:

Suddenly 730+ can only mean just a couple of millions above that :rolleyes: 730M+ means what it means, c'est à dire more than 730M. Combine it with "more than 260M" DOM, and you get a total of "more than 990M WW". Which is what we already knew.

Looks like many of us missed the + in the 730+, you're right. So it's in line with the current projections we've been making this week.

5 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Yeah I agree. Although Gru and the girls are also pretty likeable characters.

This. I really like them as well.

I think if DM4 and further sequels happen....then i hope they can bring a more fun & engaging story involving Gru's daughters. And also...age the girls up a bit, please? They've been the same age since the first one. What are Illumination afraid of?

• Like 1

Despicable Me 3 has officially crossed 1 Billion Yen in China today! It has also crossed Kung Fu Panda 3 to become the second highest animated film of all time in China after Zootopia.

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

WED

after service fees
DM3  -  4.32m / 1,003m(second best animation movie behind Zootopia)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, with DM3 performing very well OS.....how much can "The Secret Life of Pets 2" break out OS-wise?

That's also another Illumination-sequel coming out. Also....it could have that Madagascar 2-kind of WW-bump, where it could drop a little bit, DOM-wise...but the OS-gross will be higher.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Despicable Me is now the highest grossing animated franchise OF ALL TIME!!

With today’s grosses, it has surpassed The Shrek franchise’s 3.51 B and has now earned $3.55 B becoming the highest grossing animated franchise IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY! And that’s with only 4 films compared to 5 films for the Shrek franchise.

From a Paris garage to the world’s highest grossing animated franchise, Illumination scored a major record today. Congats Illumination!

dm_all_time.png

DM3's week-to-week is -36.7% from last week.

Last week it made around 90m. 732.5 + 89.9 = 822.4

This week it made 57.1m (estimated). 822.4 + 57.1 = 879.5

Tomorrow after seeing the actuals, I will post an update of where DM3 is standing OS compared to Minions OS at the same point in release. Will also track how it is performing against @Omni’s projections.

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

Guess it will go up again by 2/3 millions with actuals...the weekend number seems a little low.

Last weekend, they rolled in the 8.1m from South Korea's 5 days into the 3-day weekend. So it's around a -40 or -42% from the actual weekend last week. (21 estimated versus 36).

The week to week drop was 36.7%. (57 versus 90)

Edited by MinaTakla

SCREEN 

Despicable Me 3 grossed $21.2m in 64 territories for $638.7m internationally. The animation stands at $879.5m globally, with $240.8 from North America. The animated tentpole passed Despicable Me 2 ($607.7m) on Wednesday to become the seventh-highest grossing animated film of all time at the international box office.  

Slovenia opened at number on $137,000 including previews. It’s the second biggest Illumination opening after Minions. South Korea produced $4.7m for $17.1m and is holding at number three behind two local films.

In Japan, Despicable Me 3 is holding strong at number two in its third weekend on $3.3m for $27.9m, down 31% from last weekend. 

China is holding at number six behind five local films this weekend on $1.6m for $149.2m (1.010bn RmB). The animation is now the second-highest grossing animated film of all time in China behind Zootopia.

The UK has generated $51.5m, Brazil $37.2m, Germany $34.8m, Mexico $34.4m, and France $33.7m.

Illumination’s Despicable Me franchise, including Minions, has now grossed $3.528bn globally, passing the Shrekfranchise to become the highest grossing animated franchise of all time globally.

• Like 1

DEADLINE

‘Despicable Me’ Becomes Top-Grossing Animated Film Franchise Ever Worldwide

Illumination’s Despicable Me series of films has surpassed the Shrek movies to become the highest-grossing animated franchise of all time worldwide. A $21.2Minternational weekend on Despicable Me 3 has pushed the franchise to a $3.528Bglobal total for Gru and the Minions. That tops the Shrek stable of five pics (including Puss In Boots) at $3.51B global.

The DM series includes the three Steve Carell-starring films, along with 2015’s spinoff about the little yellow henchmen, all made at reasonable budgets under the Chris Meledandri-led Illumination. To wit: Minions is the second-highest-grossing animated film of all time and the most profitable movie in Universal’s history. The franchise also includes the Oscar-nominated Despicable Me 2 and now this summer’s Despicable Me 3, which is at nearly $880M worldwide (with Italy, Turkey and Greece still on deck).

Breaking down the films, 2010’s Despicable Me, helmed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, made $546M globally. In 2013, DM2 — which opened No. 1 in 67 international markets and held No. 1 domestically for two weeks — upped the worldwide haul to $976M. It was the 2nd biggest animated film of the year. Coffin and Renaud also directed that one.

Minions, a sort of prequel that focused on the triumvirate of Stuart, Kevin and Bob, released in June 2015 and went on to become the highest-grossing animated title of the year after opening at No. 1 in 58 markets. Helmed by Coffin and Kyle Balda, and starring Sandra Bullock, it was No. 1 at the worldwide box office for three consecutive weeks and became the top-grossing animated title of the year globally.

Next up, the current Despicable Me 3 with Balda and Coffin at the helm, is the top animated film of the year domestically, internationally and globally. This week, it outdid DM2’s $607.7M to become the No. 7 biggest animated move of all time at the international box office. Its offshore gross to date is $638.7M for a worldwide heist of $879.5M and counting.

Here’s a fun fact: DM-the-first did not have a China release, but the sequel pushed the boat out in the Middle Kingdom several months after initial rollout elsewhere and scored about $53M locally to set up the franchise. Minions marched into the Middle Kingdom in 2013 with the then-biggest opening day for an animated film ever in China.

DM3 currently has grossed $149.2M in the PROC to become the No. 2 animated movie ever, behind only Zootopia which had a staggering run last year.

How much higher does the current film go? Possibly not to $1B, but it will cross into the $900s, and there’s still Minions 2 in the wings.