kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

It has grossed more than $600m, but seems nobody talks about this movie, one of the most buzzless blockbuster.....in recent years

Maybe if it was a Disney/Pixar animation the movie would be more commented here. But I'm sure Illumination/Universal does not care about that, as long as your movies are making barrels of money, that's okay. I remind you that 'The secret life of Pets' was the most lucrative film of 2016 and 'Despicable Me 3' has everything to be the of 2017.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It has grossed more than $600m, but seems nobody talks about this movie, one of the most buzzless blockbuster.....in recent years

Same can be said about SLOP or Sing, not much material worthy to be discussed, in the short terms this does not affect profit margin. But I think in the long term, a studio with very little legacy in quality of productions might fall quite easily.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It's target audience is kids.

Who did you expect to talk about it.

30 year olds??

The buzz for this is a bit too low, even by animation standard.....

19 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Same can be said about SLOP or Sing, not much material worthy to be discussed, in the short terms this does not affect profit margin. But I think in the long term, a studio with very little legacy in quality of productions might fall quite easily.

Illumination has relatively lower budget for their animation, making them a bit harder to be defeated....

19 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It's target audience is kids.

Who did you expect to talk about it.

30 year olds??

That didn't stop Frozen to be so talked about (and I was one of them here being excited :P )

Moana did well here as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

That didn't stop Frozen to be so talked about (and I was one of them here being excited :P )

Moana did well here as well.

That's because this forum is full of Disney loonies/Illumination haters.

I would argue that the Despicable Me franchise is the biggest animation phenomenon of the last 10 years.

It is more culturally relevant globally than everything else. Only Frozen comes close.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

That's because this forum is full of Disney loonies/Illumination haters.

I would argue that the Despicable Me franchise is the biggest animation phenomenon of the last 10 years.

It is more culturally relevant globally than everything else. Only Frozen comes close.

Nope, they're not Disney loonies, they're adorable fans with fantastic tastes :shades:

Are you kidding me?

There are people on these forums who only show up when a Disney or Pixar movie comes out just to endlessly blast the film and Disney.

You seriously want to argue that DM3 is so good it's beyond criticism?

I took my wife and kids to see it.  I'm not an ILLUMINATIONS HATER, but I will give an honest assessment of the film unlike some of you who hate Disney so much that you've latched onto Illuminations as your rival to Disney.

If we state a fact that many of the Illumination films are short on story and character development and rely on slapstick humor you take that as being a HATER.  Get over it!!!!

Thats what they do best, but it's not some of us cup of tea.  Thereby because it's human nature to see things through our viewpoint, we don't understand the success.  That's not being a hater.

Thr problem with DM3 is that it doesn't even succeed in doing what Illuminations does best.  It's boring and not very funny.  Unlike even Minions, which wasn't very good, most of the gags fall flat.

The series is past it's high point, that's a fact.  It's going to finish 100 million at least under DM2 domestically and under its OS total as well, but will still be EXTREMELY financially successful.

The next film will be considerably down OS and probably struggle to 175-200 domestic.  But will still make butt loads of cash.

BTW, I also was disappointed with Cars 3 as well.  I love that franchise because it has been such a big part of my children's lives and I hate to see Pixar ruin Cars legacy.  

I can't quite understand why they can produce genius sequels for Toy Story twice, but IMHO, have failed with every other sequel.

Baffling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2017-07-20 at 6:56 PM, Fullbuster said:

Nope, they're not Disney loonies, they're adorable fans with fantastic tastes :shades:

Oh, you mean like "Disney-films" were the only ones to get fans with fantastic tastes, lol?

What about Dreamworks with some of their big animated franchises? Kung Fu Panda? Madagascar? How to Train Your Dragon? Ever seen those films?

Those are some of the most financially successful animated franchises out there.

Even BlueSky made some good & financially big movies here and there.

A lot of animated studios have big box office hits in their hands....it's not just Disney all the time.

• Thanks 1

On 21/7/2017 at 2:54 AM, Planodisney said:

Are you kidding me?

There are people on these forums who only show up when a Disney or Pixar movie comes out just to endlessly blast the film and Disney.

You seriously want to argue that DM3 is so good it's beyond criticism?

I took my wife and kids to see it.  I'm not an ILLUMINATIONS HATER, but I will give an honest assessment of the film unlike some of you who hate Disney so much that you've latched onto Illuminations as your rival to Disney.

If we state a fact that many of the Illumination films are short on story and character development and rely on slapstick humor you take that as being a HATER.  Get over it!!!!

Thats what they do best, but it's not some of us cup of tea.  Thereby because it's human nature to see things through our viewpoint, we don't understand the success.  That's not being a hater.

Thr problem with DM3 is that it doesn't even succeed in doing what Illuminations does best.  It's boring and not very funny.  Unlike even Minions, which wasn't very good, most of the gags fall flat.

The series is past it's high point, that's a fact.  It's going to finish 100 million at least under DM2 domestically and under its OS total as well, but will still be EXTREMELY financially successful.

The next film will be considerably down OS and probably struggle to 175-200 domestic.  But will still make butt loads of cash.

BTW, I also was disappointed with Cars 3 as well.  I love that franchise because it has been such a big part of my children's lives and I hate to see Pixar ruin Cars legacy.  

I can't quite understand why they can produce genius sequels for Toy Story twice, but IMHO, have failed with every other sequel.

Baffling.

I am not arguing that every Illumination film is very good nor I am a huge fan. I haven't even watched DM3 and I probably won't until it is out of cinemas.

I am OK with not liking Illumination films but some people here take it to another level, repeating their opinion non stop and even arguing that Illumination is degrading animation and such other bullshit.

Is it that difficult to understand that people like those films despite you don't???

About the BO of this film, it will most likely be the biggest film of the summer, onw of the most profitable films of the year and it will finish with a total that will be near not a decline from DM2 (950m). And that with the exchange rates being far less favourable today.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 2:47 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh, you mean like "Disney-films" were the only ones to get fans with fantastic tastes, lol?

What about Dreamworks with some of their big animated franchises? Kung Fu Panda? Madagascar? How to Train Your Dragon? Ever seen those films?

Those are some of the most financially successful animated franchises out there.

Even BlueSky made some good & financially big movies here and there.

A lot of animated studios have big box office hits in their hands....it's not just Disney all the time.

Enjoyed KFP, and to a lesser extent Madagascar, I think HTTYD is overrated, I liked the first two ice age films. Although I'm a pixar loonie and generally a WDAS fan, I totally welcome a studio that can challenge them both creatively and in terms of financial returns. However, for some odd reason, I just can't get into illumination films. I didn't even like DM1/2, hated Minions, and thoroughly bored with SLOP, with those Dreamworks and Blue Sky (and Laika) films, I was able to enjoy them more because I felt there's more heart and care put into them, but that could be just me.

22 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

About the BO of this film, it will most likely be the biggest film of the summer, onw of the most profitable films of the year and it will finish with a total that will be near not a decline from DM2 (950m). And that with the exchange rates being far less favourable today.

DM3 remains an incredible force overseas of course, but a significant fall domestically seem to almost always spell doom for a franchise (eventually) judging by recent history.... Of course, Illumination doesn't always have to rely on DM franchise, they're capable of creating new ones, I'm just not sure if the public won't get tired of their style.

Edited by NCsoft

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Enjoyed KFP, and to a lesser extent Madagascar, I think HTTYD is overrated, I liked the first two ice age films. Although I'm a pixar loonie and generally a WDAS fan, I totally welcome a studio that can challenge them both creatively and in terms of financial returns. However, for some odd reason, I just can't get into illumination films. I didn't even like DM1/2, hated Minions, and thoroughly bored with SLOP, with those Dreamworks and Blue Sky (and Laika) films, I was able to enjoy them more because I felt there's more heart and care put into them, but that could be just me.

DM3 remains an incredible force overseas of course, but a significantly fall domestically seem to almost always spell doom for a franchise judging by recent history....

Of course, Illumination doesn't always have to rely on DM franchise, they're capable of creating new ones, I'm just not sure if the public won't get tired of their style.

This thing is gonna do x12 its budget.

The next one could do half of this and still be a big financial success.

Edited by FantasticBeasts