kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

Screendaily:

China debuted at number one on $66m (RmB 453m) and has set the record for the biggest opening weekend for an animation feature ande biggest animated IMAX opening weekend ever in China on $4m.

France on $9.1m for first place while Germany produced $8.5m,  Illumination’s second best opening weekend behind Minions in those market.  

Belgium, Switzerland and Austria each delivered number one debuts on $1.4m, $1.1m and $973,000, respectively. Meanwhile, Iceland and Trinidad generated number one hauls on $112,000 and $94,000 respectively.

Despicable Me 3 held at number one in Portugal on $1.5m, the UK held at number two on $7.1m for $25.7m, while Mexico added $6.1m for $24.5m.Thanks to school holidays, Australia held at number two in week four on $3.5m for $18.4m, up 33% over last weekend.   

When compared to animated films in the same span of time and same markets at today’s exchange rates, Despicable Me 3 is ahead of Minions, The Secret Life Of Pets, Finding Dory, Despicable Me 2, Zootopia, Frozen, Ice Age 4, and Toy Story 3.

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

DHD is running an exchange rate comp between DM3 and other animated films at same point in release:

Looking at the like-for-like markets and at today’s exchanges, DM3 is running ahead of all comps, including Minions ($295M), The Secret Life Of Pets ($219M), Finding Dory ($210M), Despicable Me 2 ($195M), Zootopia ($175M), Frozen ($141M), Ice Age 4 ($202M) and Toy Story 3 ($186M).

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-opening-despicable-me-3-overseas-china-weekend-international-box-office-1202125675/

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

given 4 movies in the franchise, 3 of them would approaching $1b or more than $1b, i wonder if this could be the most commercially success animated franchise in movie history? more than shrek? more than TS? bigger than Ice aGE? 

It's already ahead of TS and will overtake Ice Age soon. It will pass Shrek with the next entry in the franchise, so unless Shrek 5 happens, it'll take the record.

Edit: Actually, given its performance so far, DM3 could take the franchise above Shrek already, and that's with just four movies (compared to five for Shrek).

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

DEADLINE

DESPICABLE ME 3

Despicable Me 3
Universal Pictures

Illumination/Universal’s threequel has pushed the DM franchise across the $3B mark globally with $3.136B to date. That’s coming off of a great opening in China which broke records for first-day launchand weekend bows for an animated movie. With $139M in 60 markets this session, the international cume is now $298.4M for a global total of $447.6M.

DM3 is running ahead of all comps, including Minions which was at $295M internationally at the same point of play, in the same markets and at today’s exchange rates.

This weekend, the Kyle Balda/Pierre Coffin-helmed film opened No. 1 in 7 markets. That makes 56 total markets where the story of brothers Gru and Dru has launched in the top spot.

In China, Despicable Me 3 had the Gru-viest start ever for an animated movie with $66M or RMB 453M. (IMAX also notched a record for its best animated opening at $4M.) Friday’s $21.1M was 18% bigger than previous record-holder, Minions, in local currency and without previews. That film was given a Sunday date in September of 2015, following that year’s (unofficial) blackout period. Conversely, DM3 has the vaunted status of being the last Hollywood title released in the PROC ahead of what is likely going to be a long summer studio hiatus. (Bonus factoid: The first Despicablemovie never released in China.)

France, where Illumination has a sort of home-team status, opened to $9.1M for the 2nd biggest company bow ever, behind Minions. Same goes for Germany which opened No. 1 with $8.5M. Belgium also is the 2nd best Illumination start ever at $1.4M — that’s the biggest animation opening of the year.

Other openings included Switzerland ($1.1M), Austria ($973K), Iceland ($112K) and Trinidad ($94K, biggest Illumination bow ever).

In holds, Portugal kept DM3 at No. 1, topping the arrival of Spider-Man: Homecoming for a $1.5M cume. The UK slipped to No. 2 behind Spidey with a $7.1M weekend for $25.7M to date. Mexico is looking at $6.1M this frame to lift the cume to $24.5M. Australia is in Week 4 and jumped 33% over last session thanks to school holidays. The total there is $18.4M.

There are seven more territories to release over the next two months: Indonesia on July 12; Japan July 21; Korea July 26; Slovenia August 3; Italy August 24; Turkey August 25 and Greece August 31.

• Like 1

OS box office comparisons for animated threequels:

Shrek the Third = $476M OS

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs = $690M OS

Toy Story 3 = $652M OS

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted = $530M OS

Kung Fu Panda 3 = $377M OS

How high can DM3 go, OS-wise? Since the highest grossing animated threequel OS-wise, is still Ice Age 3 (not counting Minions, since it's a spinoff/prequel).

5 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Jeez what a monster this is turning out to be.

But it's "tanking" in NA, so it's a HUUUGE disappointment.  :rofl:

• Like 3

DHD

DESPICABLE ME 3

Despicable Me 3
Universal Pictures

Racing around the globe, Illumination/Universal’s threequel has crossed $400M overseas with a weekend estimate of $71M in 61 markets. That lifts the cume so far to $431.4M abroad, and $619.4M worldwide. Indonesia was a new play this frame with the biggest opening day and weekend ever for an animated movie at $3.6M.

After last session’s record China bow, DM3 is already the 4th biggest grossing animated movie ever in the Middle Kingdom, and the 2nd best non-Chinese animated title, behind Zootopia. With the blackout now in full swing, and DM3 the only Hollywood movie playing in these first weeks, the weekend was worth $20.8M at No. 2 behind fantasy pic Wukong. The total there is $113.6M.

For the 3rd weekend in a row, DM3 is No. 1 in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Portugal, Uruguay and Venezuela. Germany and Austria are holding No. 1 for the 2nd week in a row ahead of the opening of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Beyond China, market leaders are the UK ($33.2M), Mexico ($28.4M), Brazil($25.8M) and Australia ($22.5M). Japan, Korea, Italy and more are still on deck.

• Like 4

The movie is doing dynamite numbers. Haters can hate but this will end up in top 5 most profitable movies of the year. 

$900M is very doable it still hasn't been released in South Korea, Turkey, Italy, Greece and Japan. DM2 made almost $60M in those markets. 

• Like 1