Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Back to back to back 70%+ drops. Kind of an achievement on his own. 

It 'only' dropped 69% last weekend! But if we round, that's three weeks straight. Amazing.

Not even your God Snyder could pull off a sub 2x with Summer weekdays

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

BFG is not going to be a bomb. It looks like it will do about 70 here but if it makes at least 150 internationally it's far from a bomb. I think some of u need to redefine your definition of bomb. 

Isn't the budget like $150m though? And that's without marketing.

Edited by FTF

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It 'only' dropped 69% last weekend! But if we round, that's three weeks straight. Amazing.

Not even your God Snyder could pull off a sub 2x with Summer weekdays

We have a new God. God Duncan Jones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FTF said:

Isn't the budget like $150m though? And that's without marketing.

The budget is a bit complicated because it's not just Disney who only funded a small chunk of it and I believe DreamWorks sold the OS rights before production so in theory, the budget might already be recouped. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

There was a comment on Deadline that said Spielberg had it in the contract that the release had to be 4th of July w/e or Christmas.  This w/e was chosen because of Disney having Moana and Rogue One but even then X-mas would have been better for it.   Being a co-production where I think Walden was the primary financier and Spielberg and Dreamworks leaving meant Disney probably had a lower priority for it when scheduling it against or near other Disney properties.

But if not for that supposed clause, it still could have had a better summer release like 2 weeks after Pets in late July.  Between Pets and Pete's Dragon would have been better for it than this date. 

Interesting that Spielberg can influence release date but I guess he's can given his status in Hollywood. I do think BFG would have been better in December even against Sing and Rogue One. Wonder if Spielberg had any influence in changing RPO's release date from December to Easter or if that was solely Warner bros. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I think FOX was aiming for more that fine with this movie.

Ofcourse they were.. Its not good. Its a disapointment.  

But not more than that

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

375M WW on a 165M budget. FOX is gonna be fine.

It's $175M now. How is it adding another $200M to its box office. Regardless let's say it does. $375/2 is $187M so they'll have made $22M if we go off of the idea that the studio gets half the box office back. However $275M of that is coming from overseas territories and so Fox won't be getting a clear cut half from it. They're barely going to break even, if they even break even and that's not including the amount of money they included in marketing. I don't think it's "fine." It's not a fantastic four disaster but it's not good either. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

It's $175M now. How is it adding another $200M to its box office. Regardless let's say it does. $375/2 is $187M so they'll have made $22M if we go off of the idea that the studio gets half the box office back. However $275M of that is coming from overseas territories and so Fox won't be getting a clear cut half from it. They're barely going to break even, if they even break even and that's including the amount of money they included in marketing. I don't think it's "fine." It's not a fantastic four disaster but it's not good either. 

It is fine. I know everything is a bomb nowadays, but in the end IDR will give a small profit. It is fine.

• Like 2

Posting this but I'm a hundred percent sure the number is wrong for the 4-day. Edit: it's probably $10.7M for the 4-day which goes in line with its domestic total. 

Edited by Nova