WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

I for one am not surprised by The BFG's performance. It's Cannes reception was okay not great and coupled with trailers that just didn't seem interesting/didn't capture people's attention. Add in Dory and SLOP and it was bound to fail. Like who is going to take their kid to see a giant looking pedophile when they can take their kid to see the blue fish or a bunch of talking animals?

I laughed!

HAHAHA

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Universal also has that stuff. They don't have Disney's back catalog, of course.

They do, but with the exception of Minions, Universal is pretty weak on their merchandising when you compare them to Disney.

Disney's more about continually adding pieces to their large catalogue of characters and settings. 

Even themepark wise, people only really go to Universal for the Harry Potter stuff, and Harry Potter isn't even Universal.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Seriously, what the hell's the matter with you guys?

I hate to think of the reception E.T. would get today. 

If only you'd read the book, then you'd know that the BFG is merely a giant old man with the personality of a 6-year-old. Not creepy at all, jesus.

Also, E.T. is a turd with big wet eyes. Not my words, btw. Joseph Barbera said that.

Edited by cannastop

Minions merchandising probably makes more money than NBCUniversal's movies in any given year, possibly including last year. They have 850 toy licenses alone. Didn't Minion Rush sell over 500 million in less than half a year? That's not even taking into account all the clothing...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Alice2 + BFG + IDR
170 + 140 + 165 = 475.0M combined Budget

77 + 57.5 + 103 = 237.5M combined DOM (475/2)

That reminded me of Eddie Murphy's banner year; 2002

BO     Cost

Showtime   38m    85m

Pluto Nash   4m   100m

I Spy          33m   70m

Total          75m  255m

Have 1 big hit once in a while and you can have three bombs and keep on working

15 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Lol. Yes. Disney doesn't try to sell its cuteness? Come on dude. Disney is all about cute. And Minions are anything but cute. They are gremlins on banana crack.

Disney does sell its cuteness, but Universal goes for a cuteness chokehold imo. Minions are a world-wide phenomenon and girls of all ages LOVE how cute they are. Maybe not speaking proper English has something to do with it.

I'm not worried. It's an adaption of Jack and the Beanstalk, so it can't go too far astray.

Jack the Giant Slayer was also a huge flop ($65m DOM). BFG is probably going to make less than that.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jackthegiantkiller.htm

The Giants genre is CURSED I say!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

They do, but with the exception of Minions, Universal is pretty weak on their merchandising when you compare them to Disney.

Disney's more about continually adding pieces to their large catalogue of characters and settings. 

Even themepark wise, people only really go to Universal for the Harry Potter stuff, and Harry Potter isn't even Universal.

Hopefully the Nintendo additions shift that perspective a little. Mario, Zelda and Pokémon done right could be almost as much of a draw as WWOHP. All three combined could even surpass Potter's merch/food/beverage sales. 

I think people are drawn by Harry Potter, but notice Universal has had higher quality additions for quite some time now. Once they realize there's much more to do, they're hooked IMO. 

A water park, 2-4 more hotels, a second entertainment complex, a monorail and a fully-realized third theme park (not like the half-baked Hollywood Studios), plus more affordable pricing and convenience than Disney should help the Orlando resort continue to thrive. 

27 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Seriously, what the hell's the matter with you guys?

I hate to think of the reception E.T. would get today. 

It definitely wouldn't be the phenomenon it was in the 80s. Not its fault, it's just that a ton of kids movies now are influenced by it and its tropes can seem rote and unimaginative. 

And since animation studios have pretty much mastered legitimate cuteness now, ET would have no chance of competing 

Edited by tribefan695