WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just want to say that I am so happy for Illumination's success. Making movies on under 100 million budget and delivering uber blockbuster profits that even Pixar/WDA would be jealous of. 

Chris Meledandri, the owner of Illumination Animation, was let go by Fox. Once again, this shows the incompetence of Fox. They could have had these big hits, but lack of vision and eye for UBER blockbuster successes is the reason why their animation division is also grossly under performing. With Ice Age 5 all set to gross under 100 million domestic and dropping hard even internationally, they will be left with no cash cow animation franchise. All their other outputs haven't delivered big time at the boxoffice even with good reviews. Won't be surprised if Blue-Sky closes down one day. 

If any Fox employee/exec reads these threads, all I want to say is HAHAHA.  Serves you right.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 3

I must admit, I find it a bit funny that SLOP actually has some of the best reviews of a wide release this summer. At this point, Illumination knows what it's trying to do, and you're either on board or not. Yeah, it may be sad that it beat IO, but that already went way farther than any of us expected it to. 

Also, I'm strongly wondering about how screwed IA5 is now. Not only has it been seeing a lot of overseas decreases, but it has to follow off the heels of TWO $100m opening cartoons, also facing the potential family appeal of Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Pete's Dragon and maybe even Suicide Squad.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Don't forget Me Before You which was a modest hit as well. All those films came from New Line who have done better this year than WB 

Wow, yes. 20m prod budget, 139m ww (54.5 dom, 84.5 os) so far.

Edited by a2knet

Illumination is awful, but so is Blue Sky and Dreamworks. And, honestly, Pixar has been very unimaginative over the last 6 years with the exception of Inside Out. Disney is fine, but I don't love it either.

I kinda gave up on american animated movies.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Central Intelligence has become the sleeper hit of Summer 2016. Excellent run.

Which speaks volumes of how low the bar has been set this summer. A comedy starring Dwayne Johnson+Kevin Hart that ends up grossing in the 130s isn't that big of a breakout, imho. 

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I must admit, I find it a bit funny that SLOP actually has some of the best reviews of a wide release this summer. At this point, Illumination knows what it's trying to do, and you're either on board or not. Yeah, it may be sad that it beat IO, but that already went way farther than any of us expected it to. 

Also, I'm strongly wondering about how screwed IA5 is now. Not only has it been seeing a lot of overseas decreases, but it has to follow off the heels of TWO $100m opening cartoons, also facing the potential family appeal of Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Pete's Dragon and maybe even Suicide Squad.

I am thinking IA5 below ANGRY BIRDS dom.

I don't mind this success even if Illumination movies are a bit too generic to my taste, as long as people are pleased of what they watched.

No need to fight guys, I also feel Disney/Pixar are at another level when it comes to quality but I must recognize Illumination has a knack to understand what people want.

Pets won't have Dory's legs though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Just want to say that I am so happy for Illumination's success. Making movies on under 100 million budget and delivering uber blockbuster profits that even Pixar/WDA would be jealous of. 

Chris Meledandri, the owner of Illumination Animation, was let go by Fox. Once again, this shows the incompetence of Fox. They could have had these big hits, but lack of vision and eye for UBER blockbuster successes is the reason why their animation division is also grossly under performing. With Ice Age 5 all set to gross under 100 million domestic and dropping hard even internationally, they will be left with no cash cow animation franchise. All their other outputs haven't delivered big time at the boxoffice even with good reviews. Won't be surprised if Blue-Sky closes down one day. 

If any Fox employee/exec reads these threads, all I want to say is HAHAHA. Keep flopping. Serves you right.

We'll see how Anubis and Ferdinand do before declaring that they're gonna shut down.

• Like 1

I was rooting for IA5 but each teaser/trailer/clip has reduced interest exponentially. Looks like it's gonna compete for and win the most the unnecessary sequel of the year title.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of LAIKA becoming the most exciting animation franchise today. Even their weakest film so far (THE BOXTROLLS) had a lot of really strong points. I loved CORALINE and PARANORMAN, and I'm very excited about KUBO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Can a Mod open the Ghostbusters thread? 

Reviews hit in an hour and a half but there are already some online (Den of Geek, Village Voice).

Plus I'm seeing it tomorrow and want to discuss.

The embargo lifts today? I thought it was tomorrow honestly.