grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The previews number should start what it shall be a great weekend.

In SoCal, it has about the number of shows that Warcraft and IDR had, 2D is decent, 3D is bad, IMAX 3D is :rofl: 

From previews it looks like a bad idea for IMAX, it sold 18 tickets to the 7pm Universal IMAX and 20 to Spectrum. Both these hold 500 people.

Warcraft sold less 2D but was an IMAX monster.

• Like 1

In terms of preview numbers, I don't think we'll be able to extrapolate from them very accurately. Too many possibilities, and they're all plausible. Very low numbers? Quite possible that Friday will be backloaded and numbers pick up with potential WOM. Bigger than expected previews? (Unlikely at this point, I think). Plausible that the controversy gave it something of a mini-rush and the Friday multi could be lower than expected.

So, when the previews are announced, and everybody jumps to conclusions, remember this is a true wildcard weekend. :) 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This movie will continue to disappoint the haters/lovers when it opens to a respectable, but nothing particularly noteworthy, 50m or so. 

One can only hope.

side note: this being the earliest created weekend thread in history shows how bizarre this release is.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

In terms of preview numbers, I don't think we'll be able to extrapolate from them very accurately. Too many possibilities, and they're all plausible. Very low numbers? Quite possible that Friday will be backloaded and numbers pick up with potential WOM. Bigger than expected previews? (Unlikely at this point, I think). Plausible that the controversy gave it something of a mini-rush and the Friday multi could be lower than expected.

So, when the previews are announced, and everybody jumps to conclusions, remember this is a true wildcard weekend. :) 

Remember that at the end of the weekend my conclusion will be the only one right.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's not a "true" wildcard dude, we have plenty of comparables for a film like this. I'm sure the range will get narrowed considerably like most of the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next time @MCKillswitch123 does his latest edition of "Look At Them Legs", he can include The Legend of Tarzan and make it this picture:

alexander-skarsgard-tighty-whities-under

I just realized: When MCKillswitch does his next "legs" post, we'll get to see either Degeneres legs, Olsen legs, or Weaver legs.:OMG:

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In SoCal, it has about the number of shows that Warcraft and IDR had, 2D is decent, 3D is bad, IMAX 3D is :rofl: 

From previews it looks like a bad idea for IMAX, it sold 18 tickets to the 7pm Universal IMAX and 20 to Spectrum. Both these hold 500 people.

Warcraft sold less 2D but was an IMAX monster.

IMAX show starting in 15 minutes time

3HxEVXE.jpg

IMAX is becoming a true fan driven format for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's not a "true" wildcard dude, we have plenty of comparables for a film like this. I'm sure the range will get narrowed considerably like most of the time.

You're right, I guess I was using that as a shorthand for a film that doesn't have an easy comp, given its history. It's not a CBM or animated movie, it comes from a potentially fan-driven property but with all the hoopla and "controversy" it's not clear whether it'll behave like one, or a mix of one and a Feig comedy, or a straight comedy, or what.

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

@Telemachos, who is that woman in your signature? She is a dead ringer for Virginia Madsen (Candyman, Electric Dreams, Sideways)...

Thanks!

She is Virginia Madsen. :lol: It's from the opening of DUNE.

• Like 1

When the preview numbers come in I still won't know how to predict it's opening accurately. I have nothing to compare it too. Is it going to play out like a comedy? Will it play out like your typical blockbuster film that's front loaded? Will it get good WOM? Will it carry the buzz it has over the "controversy" throughout the whole weekend? For me there are so many questions. Obviously once a number comes in it can be narrowed down but I feel like the narrowing down point for this film could be anywhere between $15-20M. 

• Like 1