grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Amazon and Lionsgate aren't expecting it to make much money domestically, it's more so it can be eligible for awards. 

Ehh I think it being an apparently decent to good Woody Allen film leads me to believe that they're expecting something. Nothing extraordinary but not bombs like some of his movies have been. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's a good Woody Allen (apparently), which is typically rewarded with solid box office receipts. Compare the grosses of Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine to everything else he's done this decade (You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, To Rome with Love, Magic in the Moonlight, Irrational Man).

I think $25-30m would be very good for Cafe Society domestically. For Amazon, they'll recoup the distribution costs as I assume Lionsgate is handling P&A on Amazon's behalf and it'll have a good life on Prime Video when the theatrical release is done. I assuming the budget which is quite high for a Woody Allen film at $30m has been recouped already since there are local distributors who usually buy Woody Allen's films every year.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think $25-30m would be very good for Cafe Society domestically. For Amazon, they'll recoup the distribution costs as I assume Lionsgate is handling P&A on Amazon's behalf and it'll have a good life on Prime Video when the theatrical release is done. I assuming the budget which is quite high for a Woody Allen film at $30m has been recouped already since there are local distributors who usually buy Woody Allen's films every year.

I think it'll settle for around $20M which would be decent. Midnight in Paris was an anomaly, while Blue Jasmine was largely powered on Blanchett's instantly iconic performance.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

So roughly around 45-50M for the 3 day, then pretty much fall off the planet and we move on to JASON BOURNE, right?? :popcorn:

You don't like Star Trek?

Edit- I didn't see your post above.

Edited by BourneFan #1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Just saw Cafe Society trailer. Looks very bad and cliche and boring.

At least it isn't another one of his "older man woos younger woman" movies. Colin Firth and Emma Stone will always be one of the creepiest pairings ever.

• Like 5

Just now, filmlover said:

At least it isn't another one of his "older man woos younger woman" movies. Colin Firth and Emma Stone will always be one of the creepiest pairings ever.

it does seem to be one of his '3 hot women fawn over nebbish dork with few redeeming qualities' movies. which is a looooot of his movies tbf.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Nova said:

How is Mike and Dave falling 50% equal to an $11M+ weekend. Now I know how deadline does their math. It's nonexistent. 

Feels like Deadline has at least one embarrassing goof-up every weekend. Like the one a child can read and figure out. Maybe no one proof-reads. In DORY's 3rd weekend they had the Friday number at ~23.5m instead of ~13.5m for half a day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

it does seem to be one of his '3 hot women fawn over nebbish dork with few redeeming qualities' movies. which is a looooot of his movies tbf.

On the bright side, at least Allen doesn't cast himself in his movies anymore. When he was paired up with Helen Hunt: :sick:

Woody's films seem to make money and for their budgets are usually profitable. Midnight in Paris was his biggest WW hit with $150m WW but even something like From Rome with Love made over $70m WW I think Cafe Society probably will end up grossing $50-60m WW minimum although I wouldn't rule out $80-90m WW 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The day anyone believes that Jesse Eisenberg gets to sit and decide between choosing Kristen Stewart and Blake Lively. 

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

That is the cringiest article I have seen in years.

And they completely ignore big female led movies like Hunger Games, TFA, and Fury Road

The same people were bitching about the latter two as well, they just weren't as noticeable amongst the rabid Star wars fans and mad critical praise. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Woody's films seem to make money and for their budgets are usually profitable. Midnight in Paris was his biggest WW hit with $150m WW but even something like From Rome with Love made over $70m WW I think Cafe Society probably will end up grossing $50-60m WW minimum although I wouldn't rule out $80-90m WW 

Yup. I feel like this movie in particular will be popular OS. I don't know. Just a hunch. His movies tend to do okay to well maybe not always domestically but they typically get to the $50-60M WW at the least. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To Rome with Love probably benefitted from the Midnight in Paris afterglow more than anything else.

1 minute ago, ThatOneGhostbuster said:

café society should've been a movie about a group of conspiracy theorists that meet at a café and come up with reasons as to why Ghostbusters will flop no matter what happens

Talk about a recipe for success. All the fanboys would have run off to see it!