grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I used to be even more obsessed with The Lion King than I am currently with Zootopia. But eh, I think Zootopia is much better as a film.

Really? I think it's hard to compare them but I think The Lion King easily wins that one for how simple and effective it was. It's hard to top the characters in The Lion King too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Really? I think it's hard to compare them but I think The Lion King easily wins that one for how simple and effective it was. It's hard to top the characters in The Lion King too.

I like Zootopia because it's not as simple as The Lion King.

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Pish posh.

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah this whole summer more than normal (at least to my terrible memory) seems to be built on one weekend flame outs. Now obviously thats an exaggeration across the entire board but still this summer seems so slow if you will.

We are missing the out of nowhere breakouts this summer. Dory is the only one which can be called a big breakout but most people had it winning the summer anyway. Pets was nice to see exceeding expectations last weekend as well. But no JW/IO style "You have got to see this" pop culture events yet this summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King are sheer works of art. Nothing outside of a few Miyazaki films can touch them in the genre. 

Beauty and the Beast is phenomenal. The Lion King is simply good

The dismissal of Dr. Strange's chances is eerily reminiscent of the dismissals of GOTG and Ant-Man. 

Eventually, an MCU movie will really struggle, but I see $200m domestic for Dr. Strange. 

Edited by Mr Terrific
Diction
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We are missing the out of nowhere breakouts this summer. Dory is the only one which can be called a big breakout but most people had it winning the summer anyway. Pets was nice to see exceeding expectations last weekend as well. But no JW/IO style "You have got to see this" pop culture events yet this summer.

Yeah I guess thats it because with rare exception once you are past the 15th of July most of the rest of summer is meh in regular years (obviously there are exceptions to this.)

I don't know if I was a newb just following box office I would find this so boring but then I have tracked many a break out for a long time now and it takes a lot to appreciate "big" numbers these days. Even the fact that we are getting ready to unseat Shrek 2 seems rather blah considering that in admissions its not going to be close and what should have been a sure fire run to 500m+ after the 2nd weekend has now turned into a "hope for" at best. Dory just doesn't feel like a break out to me - course that could just be me.

And even the bad films haven't melted down in total bombage fashion....

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Beauty and the Beast is phenomenal. The Lion King is simply good

I know you're younger and didn't grow up with it. Many would disagree with you in it being much more then good.

I can still remember all the characters names in Lion King and I haven't seen it for awhile. It also had an amazing score and way too many memorable songs. The broadway play is still going strong all these years later. That kind of speaks testament to how good it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yea, but to be fair, how often are you going to see a Jurassic World type of event film?  Those are special runs that are not easily duplicated.  FTF has done exceptionally well and if SLOP does more than 300, which it more than likely will, that is also more than most thought it would do.

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dory seems like a pretty big pop culture event to me. And there is still a big boy coming...

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King are sheer works of art. Nothing outside of a few Miyazaki films can touch them in the genre. 

Beauty and the Beast is pretty blah to me. I'm really not a fan of the story, really.

One more thing about Zootopia, of course. I think it's the animated feature that Ralph Bakshi always wanted to make, but was never focused enough to do so. Knowing that two of his former proteges developed the movie backs this notion.