grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Yea, but to be fair, how often are you going to see a Jurassic World type of event film?  Those are special runs that are not easily duplicated.  FTF has done exceptionally well and if SLOP does more than 300, which it more than likely will, that is also more than most thought it would do.

2015 had a few runs that won't be replicated for awhile.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Beauty and the Beast is pretty blah to me. I'm really not a fan of the story, really.

One more thing about Zootopia, of course. I think it's the animated feature that Ralph Bakshi always wanted to make, but was never focused enough to do so. Knowing that two of his former proteges developed the movie backs this notion.

Well that's interesting. If Ralph Bakshi made Zootopia it would have been a straight-up adult movie containing plenty of violence, blood, and if you consider possible within the context of the film animal nudity, instead of the family feature we got. Think about that for a second.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I know you're younger and didn't grow up with it. Many would disagree with you in it being much more then good.

I can still remember all the characters names in Lion King and I haven't seen it for awhile. It also had an amazing score and way too many memorable songs. The broadway play is still going strong all these years later. That kind of speaks testament to how good it is.

I know many consider it the best animation. I don't get it though. I enjoy Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan  much more. 

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I know many consider it the best animation. I don't get it though. I enjoy Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan  much more. 

Its a good thing we don't all have the same tastes - life would be dreadfully dull

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well that's interesting. If Ralph Bakshi made Zootopia it would have been a straight-up adult movie containing plenty of violence, blood, and if you consider possible within the context of the film animal nudity, instead of the family feature we got. Think about that for a second.

Not sure if I want that

Lion King and Beauty and the Beast along with Aladdin are top tier in terms of animation IMO. 

Talking animal films have been with us since the birth of animation with Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny etc Disney have made more movies with talking animals than they have fairytales. I don't mind talking animal films as long as they're good like Zootopia, Chicken Run etc 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Right, yeah I'm not bashing you or anything. Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like that.

I'm not sure what is this generations Lion King. Maybe Frozen? I don't think it's Zootopia. Zootopia is a great movie but didn't have the cultural significance that, Lion King had.

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We are missing the out of nowhere breakouts this summer. Dory is the only one which can be called a big breakout but most people had it winning the summer anyway. Pets was nice to see exceeding expectations last weekend as well. But no JW/IO style "You have got to see this" pop culture events yet this summer.

That's because we had 3 of the out of nowhere breakouts before May.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Right, yeah I'm not bashing you or anything. Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like that.

I'm not sure what is this generations Lion King. Maybe Frozen? I don't think it's Zootopia. Zootopia is a great movie but didn't have the cultural significance that, Lion King had.

Finding Nemo is huge for people my age.

• Like 1

I was (I guess) lucky enough to grow up with them all:

I remember the biggest ones being The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast and Toy Story.

101 Dalmatians also gained in popularity again when the live action version came out. I remember having a Lucky stuffed animal.