grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

17 minutes ago, JediJones said:

Was it fantastic when Ninja Turtles 2 did it too? It's playing like a kids movie because most of the adult fan-base is turned off by the premise of the remake. That led to very depressed Thursday preview numbers compared to other franchise films like Star Trek and superhero movies. Playing like a kids movie is theoretically good for legs, but the movie is starting so low from where it needed to to be a success that it won't matter much.

This opening weekend was pumped up with a last-minute marketing infusion that will evaporate next week. It had an unfortunate lack of competition (for the other studios) because it would have been easy pickings for Star Trek or Suicide Squad. Star Trek will overperform due to the presence of a hot alien babe in the trailers, just as Avatar and Guardians did. The GB16 competitive advantage is ending next week. The drop-offs will be closer to TMNT2 than to Paul Feig's adult-aimed comedies.

Peanuts was better-received than GB16, got the same opening and even that only ended up with $130m. Even for kids, there is still a major brand name built into this opening, which means it's more frontloaded than an original, non-franchise comedy. Any hopes for more than a 3 multiplier are pure fantasy.

Did I mention that the films that did increase were either adult oriented (Nice Guys, Money Monster) and the others (Angry Birds and TMNT) came off Friday's when schools were still in. 

This is the first big film since May so stay flat or increase on its first Saturday.

I disagree with everything else in your post. 

• Like 1

Just watched last year's MacBeth. Meh. Fassbender was great, Cotillard was good, but a lot of the other actors were lame. The production design was good, but the pacing of the film felt very disjointed, and not as cinematic as the visuals. The key scenes were well done, everything in between was boring. And I'm a fan of the play.

5/10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JediJones said:

Girlbusters is a colossal failure any way you look at it. This was one of the greatest brand names in movies, a visible franchise that has never stopped producing tie-in comic books and merchandise, one of the dormant properties with the biggest nostalgia and built-in fanbase based on an original movie that has proved timeless in its content if not in all of its effects. Just like Indiana Jones, knock-offs of the basic premise have been produced and been successful for years while the franchise remained dormant. Ghostbusters outgrossed Temple of Doom in 1984 and had an almost equal opening week to Last Crusade in 1989. Arguably, Ghostbusters had retained an even more enthusiastic fanbase than Indiana Jones with more cosplay action and a wider array of successful merchandise for many years up to the point of the new movie's release. If Sony had produced a proper sequel that respected the vast, rich 30-year legacy of the Ghostbusters universe, the way that was done for Star Wars and in an even more apt comparison Indiana Jones, the movie would have had a massive opening similar to Crystal Skull.

1 hour ago, JediJones said:

Ghostbusters 2 more or less killed the franchise. The cartoon and toy line limped along for only another year or two, the normal amount of gas left in the tank you'd expect after a movie release. I watched every cartoon, had every toy and watched the original movie 200 times on VHS by the time of the sequel's release, and felt it was a big let-down. Ghostbusters 2 was unquestionably a disappointing film for most people, especially judging by how it opened on par with Last Crusade but ended up grossing not much more than half the total in the end. Siskel and Ebert's review of it was right on the mark.

These seem like contradictory points to me.  How can there be '30 years of legacy', for instance, if things were killed stone dead after the second film?  And it's not like "The Real Ghostbusters" had much of anything to do with the movies.  And cosplayers only go so far, IMO.

PS:  Terms like "Girlbusters" and "cinematic abortion" probably aren't helping your cause here much. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

These seem like contradictory points to me.  How can there be '30 years of legacy', for instance, if things were killed stone dead after the second film?  And it's not like "The Real Ghostbusters" had much of anything to do with the movies.

Real Ghostbusters had a major influence on GB2. Slimer was made friendlier, Janine's look was revised, and they borrowed two major premises from episodes, the idea of a medieval bad guy exiting from a painting (or tapestry) and the idea of rivers of goo flowing underneath NYC.

The arc of the franchise is no different than Star Wars. Star Wars disappeared from the public consciousness for several years after Return of the Jedi. Interest slowly started to rebuild in the early '90s until anticipation for Episode I reached a fever pitch. Interest in GB fell dormant after GB2, but slowly rebuilt itself over the years until anticipation for GB3 was at a fever pitch. Sony took that anticipation and squandered it. Admittedly they and Reitman tried to do a GB3 but gave up after Murray showed no interest. But they never should have settled for Feig's pitch. A GB3 without Murray would have been preferable or even a remake that recast Venkman, Spengler, et al. with younger actors. Because Ghostbusters' success is about the original characters, not the hardware and special effects. That's why Real Ghostbusters was the successful cartoon, not the Filmation Ghostbusters with the ape.

It's up to you if you want to agree with my points or not. I'm not going to soften my language about the movie any more than Richard Roeper did in his well-written review.

Edited by JediJones

Based on early evidence I think GB is behaving like any other (but much more hyped) Melissa McCarthy movie. That's good news for its domestic prospects but bad news for its overseas run.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is the first big film since May so stay flat or increase on its first Saturday.

I disagree with everything else in your post. 

TMNT2 was in June, not May.

Everything? You disagree that Ghostbusters is a brand name? Some of these things are just basic facts.

Peanuts had a massive increase on its first Saturday. Still didn't end up with the final gross GB16 fans seem to be expecting for it. Angry Birds isn't heading to a 3x multiplier either because it's another frontloaded brand name franchise.

Edited by JediJones
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JediJones said:

The arc of the franchise is no different than Star Wars. 

Uhhh....  As a person with more than a passing interest in Star Wars:  No.

Not in the slightest. :)

(for one, interest in "GB 3" was NEVER at a fevered pitch.  Not once.)

It's up to you if you want to agree with my points or not. I'm not going to soften my language about the movie any more than Richard Roeper did in his well-written review.

Honest question.  Did you read the first post in this thread?  "Softening language", as you put it, is kinda implied there. ;)

I'm a lifelong rabid fan of Star Wars and Ghostbusters. Yes, it was at a fever pitch. Not saying Star Wars isn't an order of magnitude bigger than any other franchise, but Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters are RIGHT on par with each other, and were two of the movies people were anticipating sequels for the most in between the '80s and the eventual release of the next movies in the franchises. You only need to follow the constant updates and rumors on the development of GB3 before Feig was announced to be involved. The wind was let out of those hopeful sails as soon as Feig said he was doing a remake.

Edited by JediJones
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JediJones said:

TMNT2 was in June, not May.

Everything? You disagree that Ghostbusters is a brand name? Some of these things are just basic facts.

Peanuts had a massive increase on its first Saturday. Still didn't end up with the final gross GB16 fans seem to be expecting for it. Angry Birds isn't heading to a 3x multiplier either because it's another frontloaded brand name franchise.

3rd of June then, lol. Was May 22nd in UK that's why I thought it was May. My point still stands though. It is great news for the film that it stayed flat or increased on Saturday.

• Like 1

Now if one wants to talk about similiarites, IMO the most similiar franchise to Ghostbusters when it comes to public consciousness and staying power isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones or even Jurassic Park.  It's Back to the Future.  It has had a lasting impact on the culture, it has had cosplayers forever.  It had a (semi-)successful cartoon and a couple (semi-)successful games.  But much like Ghostbusters it hasn't been in the forefront of public consciousness.

However, I am fairly skeptical that any sort of sequel to BTTF would be guaranteed to be any sort of massive hit.  For one thing, nostaliga doesn't always sell, as ID:R more than easily proved.  For another, recapturing that magic is a tough job even when the public might feel fondly toward things.

More to the point at no point in the last ten years was there EVER a high level of anticipation for a Ghostbusters film among the general public.  Reboot, remake, or sequel.  In fact, IMO Sony dropped the ball almost from the inital get go with this version of the film.  Then they proceeded to keep fumbling the ball backwards.  That they opened as well as it did is a near miracle in and of itself.  That it appears to be resonating with at least a portion of the public, an even greater one.

So I am afraid I have to disagree with all of your points, @JediJones. This property didn't follow the arc of SW.  It was never highly anticpated.  And while it left its mark on society, I don't think it was nearly as deep or as successful as you think. Successful?  Yes.  Just not as much as you think it was. 

Could it have played differently?  Maybe.  But with one of the original actors dead and another not interested in the slightest at reprising his role, it's a mighty tough lift.  Throw in the fact that the one person who seemed to want the film the most (Dan Ackroyd) never really could pull a script together..... Well, the only chance at this succeeding on the level you are implying is if they pulled a Next Generation scenario.  But coming up with an original idea is still the problem (see, in reference, ID:R for the pitfalls here).  Throw in trying to capture lightning in a bottle again with the new leads (presuming there would be new leads as I think there would have to be), and, well.  Let's just say that while it probably would have done better, I don't think it was a sure thing. At all. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Rth said:

SLOP 19,7,WYNGC 16.2,LOT 4.6,FD 4.4, M&D 3, CI 2.4, TI 2.1, BFG 1.5,IDR 1.2

Pets +30.8%

Ghostbusters +17.4%

Tarzan +40.7%

Dory +33.1%

Mike and Dave +27.7%

Infiltrator +41.4%

Central Intelligence +53.8%

BFG +32.9%

ID4 +27%

Just now, Matrix4You said:

Pets +30.8%

Ghostbusters +17.4%

Tarzan +40.7%

Dory +33.1%

Mike and Dave +27.7%

Infiltrator +41.4%

Central Intelligence +53.8%

BFG +32.9%

ID4 +27%

meh for Pets, BFG and Dory.  Last year, Minions and Inside Out were closer to 40% while Jurassic WOrld and Terminator were at 50%.  therefore, meh for Tarzan and ID4 too!   Incredible for Central Intelligence and The Infiltrator.  Good for Mike and Dave.  I expect Purge to be at or over 25% along with the COnjuring 2 too.