baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

45 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Number 80

Mischief (1985)

Directed by: Mel Damski

Starring:  Doug McKeon, Kelly Preston, Jami Gertz, Terry O'Quinn

Box office:  8.6 million

"Got kicked out of school.  I fucked three chicks"

The 80's were great for many things when it came to films. It spawned the Indy films, it created Rambo and some of the campier horror films made their way to our screens. But what it also gave birth to was the teen comedy. I'm sure that we all remember films like Porky's and Fasttimes and the John Hughes era, but what we may forget are small films like this one that were gone from the theater faster than The Neon Demon. But the 80's also gave birth to video and it is here that I was lucky enough to see many of these hidden comedies. Films like Secret Admirer, Wild Life and Mischief are films that may be 25-30 years old but they are so much fun and so much of my youth that I hope this list will prompt some of the younger members here to find these kinds of films and give them a shot.   As it stands, Mischief is one those films that got a good laugh and it was rented and watched repeatedly.

Mischief is the story of a guy named Johnathin who is sort of a nerd. He is not really picked on the way that the nerds are in Revenge of the Nerds but still he is clearly not the most popular guy in school. He of course has a crush on the most beautiful girl in school named Marilyn McCauley, played by then hottie and still smokin, John Travolta's wife, Kelly Preston. Before Preston became domesticated and made the occasional film here and there in the 90's, she was a teenage boys pin-up girl as she was in this and Secret Admirer and was very liberal in showing us her assets. Mischief sees her do the full monty.  

Johnathan then meets the new kid on the block and he is your typical 50's greaser and a bad ass. His name is Eugene and he is played extremely well by Chris Nash. He and Johnathan develop a close friendship and Eugene decides that he is going to teach Johnathan how to be cool and get the girl. It is here that the film takes off. Most of the comedy ensues from Eugene teaching John what to do and how to do it. There is one particularly funny scene where John and Eugene are shooting some hoops and Eugene tells John why he is here.

" Got kicked out of school. "

" Why? "

" Fucked three chicks. " Eugene says, as if he was telling John that skipped school too many times.

" REALLY??!!! " Johnathan replies, literally in awe.

Eugene and Johnathan are obviously complete opposites and seeing Eugene take Johnathin under his wing is the funniest part of the film. As we watch John go through his transformation we laugh along with him. We feel embarrasment for him as he awkwardly begins to build up his confidence. Mischief isn't as side splittingly funny as Porky's or Fasttimes but it is a great addition to the 80's teenage comedy fest. If all you really know about raunchy teenage comedy is American Pie, then you should check out where it's roots are. Mischief is one of the films that it may have taken after. I realize that the aging of this film may turn some young people off this one but it really is a sweet comedy and it is one that has been forgotten about for too long. It's got a terrific script and a really good soundtrack as it belts out 50's hits like Blueberry Hill, Hound Dog and many others.  

MPW-11821

Sounds cool, I'm in. 

• Like 2

Coming up.

One of the highest grossing films of all time in Australia. It's so famous that you'd think everyone has seen it.

You'd be wrong.

53 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Coming up.

One of the highest grossing films of all time in Australia. It's so famous that you'd think everyone has seen it.

You'd be wrong.

Hmmm.  Two films immediately leap to mind.

Spoiler

That's not a film, Baumer.  THIS is a film!

or

Spoiler

That'll do, Baumer.  That'll do.

If it's not one of those two, then I'm intrigued to see what it is. 

• Like 1

Number 79

Crocodile Dundee (1986)

Directed by Peter Faiman

Starring:  Paul Hogan, Linda Kozlowski

Box office:  328 million WW

Up until Titanic obliterated records, Crocodile Dundee was the highest grossing film in Australian history.  To this day, it still ranks in the top ten.  One of the great things about movies is that every once in awhile the unexpected happens, something comes along that you know immediately is just a bit different and special somehow. Usually it's the film itself, but on occasion-- and this is one of them-- a character will emerge who is not just a character in a movie, but IS the movie. Here, it's the title character of `Crocodile Dundee,' directed by Peter Faiman, and starring Paul Hogan as the inimitable Mick Dundee, a rather unique individual hailing from the small hamlet of Walkabout Creek, Australia. Mick hit the big screen in 1986, and from the first moment he appeared, right up through the end of the second sequel, it's been a `G'day' for audiences around the world.

In Australia on assignment for her New York newspaper, journalist Sue Charlton (Linda Kozlowski) runs across a story she just has to pursue. It's about a legendary `local' from one of the small towns on the cusp of the bush, a crocodile hunter who, the story goes, had his leg bitten off by a croc, then managed to survive by crawling, alone, for days on end across the outback. So it's off to the town of Walkabout Creek in search of this larger-than-life character, who it turns out is quite a `character' to say the least. He is, in fact, one of a kind. 

After a memorable meeting in the town's only pub (one of about four buildings in the whole place), Michael J. `Mick' Dundee agrees to take her on a tour retracing his steps and reconstructing the famous event where it actually took place. He promises a hard journey through some rugged terrain-- no place, in fact, for a `Sheila'-- but, like any good reporter, she's ready for anything; or so she thinks. And it's the beginning of an adventure she, as well as the audience, will never forget.

Hogan concocted the story and created the character, then wrote the screenplay along with John Cornell and Ken Shadie, after which he turned it over to director Faiman, who did a worthy, if not exceptional, job of translating Hogan's vision to the screen. 

It's no secret, of course, what really makes this film work. Aside from the engaging story with it's romantic notions of adventure, from beginning to end it has the four `Big Cs' going for it: Character, Charisma, Chemistry and Charm.  Crocodile Dundee is about as iconic as they come and should be seen.

Interesting Stuff:  Despite Paul Hogan's insistence that Crocodile Dundee was his own creation, it was later revealed that the real life inspiration for the character was bushman Rod Ansell. Rod Ansell became popular in Australia in 1977 when his boat capsized during a solo hunting expedition and he had to spend two months trapped in the wilderness. He survived by drinking cow blood, sleeping with snakes and occasionally fighting and decapitating the odd crocodile. During a later BBC interview about his adventure (which he reportedly attended barefoot), Ansell mentioned that the hotel they'd put him in was very nice and all but he'd decided to sleep on the floor. Oddly enough, it was this little detail - not any of the animal fighting stuff - that inspired Crocodile Dundee. Unfortunately, Ansell didn't see a cent from the use of his story and his life and marriage fell apart and he eventually developed a drug habit which culminated into a shootout with police officers, killing one. Some say he was driven mad due to his exclusion from the success of the Crocodile Dundee movies - the production company even banned him from starting his own "Crocodile Dundee tour".

crocodile-dundee-movie-poster-1986-10104  

• Like 7

Number 78

The Power of One (1992)

Directed by John G. Avildsen

Starring:  Morgan Freeman, Stephen Dorff, John Gielgud

Box office:  2.8 million

Review taken from IMDB

The Power Of One is based on a novel by the very talented Bryce Courtenay.  I am a white South African girl who spent 19 years of my life in SA. I led a very privileged, sheltered childhood growing up in South Africa. I was just 15 when apartheid fell apart. My parents were not racist and in fact my father dedicated his life to working as a doctor in a very poor area but I still , unbelievably, never really had a very clear picture of the horror of apartheid until Mr Courtenay outlined it so vividly in these books.(as I said I was sheltered as a white child)I feel extraordinarily blessed and lucky to have directly avoided the violence and sickness that invaded my country for so long just because I was lucky enough to be born with white skin. I now live in the States but South Africa will always be home. I wept most of the way through both books. I have never been so moved in my life.Mr Courtenay summed up perfectly the collective guilt that white South Africans must carry with them forever more for our people's legacy of hate and brutality and oppression Even if we ourselves are not guilty - our people are guilty.He also, of course, inspires us to believe that one person can make a difference and that sanity,justice and compassion can win in the end even if the fight is long and hard.For those of you who think the characters are too stereotyped- in some aspects you are right. Not all Afrikaaners are the evil, racist villains that are portrayed in the books . However, I certainly encountered people growing up with unbelievable racism, fear and hate who do match some of the characters in the book.So there is truth to his characters also. I have no doubt that the brutality was accurate. One only has to look at historical events in SA history to confirm that. Thank you Mr Courtenay for your wonderful gift and for sharing it with the world. 

As for the movie: I must admit it has been years since I happened upon it on television late at night. I do remember being quite swept up in the film but then being disappointed with the direction they chose to take it in. A Hollywood ending on what could have been a remarkable African movie.I do understand that film is a completely different medium and changes were necessary to adapt the book to film. Still I cannot help being disappointed with some of the changes that I deemed uneccessary such as the changing of Peekay's name from the wonderful, mystical"The Tadpole Angel" or "onoshobishobi ingelosi" to "The rainmaker" Come on! That's lame! The rainmaker?!That has none of the same feeling the other names invoke.The addition of the girlfriend just to give Peekay a love interest is unnecessary fluff and her character not well developed enough to warrant such an addition.Nonetheless, the film is still worth seeing. 

I must say that I truly do hope that someone else re-makes this and does a better job.Tandia would make a fantastic film also. I am going to buy a copy on DVD and re-watch it and the post my thoughts here after refreshing it in my mind. I highly recommend reading both The Power Of One and Tandia to all interested in the history of apartheid in South Africa or just those looking for a good drama and a fascinating stories with strong characters.Even if you hate to read and are intimidated by the thought of reading such large books- just start- I guarantee you, you won't be able to put both these books down!If you haven't seen the film or read the books, I guess you should watch the film first. Otherwise you will be sorely disappointed and outra

Interesting Stuff: Debut feature film for Daniel Craig

power1.jpg

• Like 4

Coming up:  An overlooked gem from 2013 based on a terrific book starring two actors who would go on to work together in a failed YA series of films.

And one of @Telemachos first movies he saw at the theater.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Coming up:  An overlooked gem from 2013 based on a terrific book starring two actors who would go on to work together in a failed YA series of films.

“Mom get off my motherfucking back "

• Like 1

Number 77

The Spectacular Now

Directed by James Ponsoldt

Starring:  Miles Teller, Shaileen Woodley, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler and Jennifer Jason Leigh

Box office: 6.8 million

My high school years were kind of like they are in a John Hughes movie.  Social paradigms were omnipotent and there were definitely categories of students.  The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads, jocks, basketcases, nerds, shop guys and princesses were all there.

Now being a middle-aged man this is only a guess, but it sure feels right on. Sutter (Miles Teller) is that guy everyone likes, you know the life if any party. Sutter is enjoying every minute of high school, great times, and a great girlfriend named Cassidy (Brie Larson) to top it off. Sutter also likes to drink, and not the typical teenage drinking, he goes as far as carrying a flask and even putting alcohol in anything he drinks. After Cassidy breaks up with him, Sutter drinks a little too much and ends up passed out in the front of a house, not his own. He is found by Aimee (Shailene Woodley), who knows Sutter from school. Sutter starts to gather interest in Aimee, but all the while hoping to land back with the women he thinks he wants in Cassidy. Aimee has never had a boyfriend and quickly starts to fall for Sutter hard. With school ending soon, Sutter is all about the now, and has no idea what his future will hold, he never wants to grow up, because where is the fun in that? 

A lot of people think that their high school years were their highest point in their life. I mean you have no worries, no responsibilities, you just live life. Everything is easier, including love because how innocent everything is. Sutter and Aimee are at that point where things start to move, college and life are in front of them making them have to make choices they never had to before. Written by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber (500 Days of Summer) from the book by Tim Tharp, the story is a real coming of age story. So many coming of age stories fail, this one soars. It is all perfectly directed by James Ponsoldt (Smashed), who set the movie in his home town of Athens, Georgia, and even shot the film in locations he grew up in. It all comes together by the flawless performances by Woodley and Teller who are perfect for each other on screen.  It's a beauty of a film and one that got overlooked upon release.

Interesting stuff:  In order to secure actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, whose agents were hesitant about the role due to the small budget, producers told her agents that Julianne Moore also desperately wanted the role and if she didn't say yes within that day, they'd give it to Moore.

Teller and Woodley's first on screen sex scene.

the-spectacular-now-2013-cover.jpg

• Like 6

What the hell, the cast of this movie.

Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley, Brie Larson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Bob Odenkirk, Mary Elizabeth Winstead... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lots of known, talented actors

• Like 1

Number 76

Chariots of Fire (1981)

Directed by Hugh Hudson

Starring Ben Cross, Ian Holm (Yep, Bilbo is in this) and John Gielgud

Box office:  59 million

Apparently this was the first film @Telemachos remembers seeing in the theater.  He saw it 7 times.  I always had a bit of a black heart when it came to this film because it beat our Raiders of the Lost Ark for best picture in 1981.  I've grown to appreciate it over the years but still don't think it should have won best picture.  

This film is about what drives people to do what they do. Eric Liddell (Ian Charleson) runs for the glory of God, whereas Harold Abrahams (Ben Cross) runs to prove his worth to a society that was anti-Semitic. Even though they run for different reasons, their drive and determination spur them on. They stand up for what they believe in and refuse to sacrifice their principles because it is the easy way out. 

The supporting cast is also extraordinary, with Nigel Havers, Nicholas Farrell, Ian Holm and Sir John Gielgud all making important contributions to the final product. 

There is absolutely nothing unnecessary in this film. The writing, the direction, the acting, the dialogue are all outstanding. And then there's that haunting score. 

Once again, this is truly an outstanding film. One with universal themes that transcend time and place.

Interesting stuff:  Ruby Wax, Stephen Fry and Kenneth Branagh are among the crowd actors. Fry acted as shop steward (organiser) for the extras and managed in David Puttnam's words to "screw an extra pound a day out of me".

9k=

• Like 6

Number 75

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

Directed by Steven R. Monroe

Starring Sara Butler, Jeff Branson

Box office:  $900,000

This is the ultimate revenge film. First off, a quick bit about the original. The 1978 film was put on a list of films called video nasties and it was banned in a multitude of countries because of the rape. I first saw the film in my teens and was shocked at how tame it was. I was expecting to see something like Wes Craven’s Last House on the Left and what I got was basically a PG-13 version of what I read about. I have always believed that if people hadn’t have made such a fuss about the original film, it never would have been as popular as it was. So the irony is that the people who wanted it banned gave it new life and caused thousands of people to seek it out to find out what all the fuss was about, myself included. The remake is the best revenge film I have ever seen.

Sara Butler plays a young woman who flees to the country, rents a cottage and gets away from the big city life so she can write her next novel. Here she meets some local idiots who become infatuated with her and don’t take too kindly to her attitude. For a revenge film to work well, in my opinion, the crime has to be brutal and then the revenge becomes justified, at least thematically. The rape in this film is as hard to watch as any film I’ve seen. She is tormented, subjugated, raped and tortured. When they are finished with her, their plan is to shoot her and dump her body in the river. She manages to escape and lives in the woods and recovers enough to extract her revenge. Her rapists think shes dead and when she shows up, well, PG-13 this is not. Her idea of comeuppance is hard to watch but you root for her knowing what she went through. She does to them what they did to her and each death has a theme reminiscent of what each man put her through. For example, one of them told her not to use any teeth and this person ends up getting his teeth ripped out with a pair of pliers, one by one. This is all I can describe to you because the rest is about as hardcore as it gets. Sara Butler is outstanding here and she takes us on the journey with her. This is not a film for everyone, but if you can stomach it and you like seeing assholes get what’s coming to them, then there is no better revenge flick that this one.

I realize these kinds of films are definitely not for everyone.  In fact, they may not be for most people.  But, if like me, you enjoy a good horror film, this is one of the best of the decade imo.

Trivia:  According to Jeff Branson, although it was never used, there was an "out word" that Sarah Butler was to use if the rape scenes got too intense for her.

At the beginning of the film, Jennifer buys $19.78 worth of gas. 1978 is the year the original film I Spit on Your Grave (1978) was released.

Z

i-spit-on-your-grave.19857.jpg

• Like 2