baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

30 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

if it gets your vote for horror then I'm sold.  I'm sure you did but have you seen Hush on netflix?  I stumbled on it last week and thought it was GREAT.

Hush was terrific. I feel like it deserved a theatrical release. 

• Like 1

Ice Age 5 is going to end up with similar numbers as the first one WW (~$380m). Obviously, this is bad since the budget is now much bigger ($59m vs $105m), OS markets have highly expanded since then, as well as the fact that the first one made way more domestically where studios get a larger cut. I hope the sixth one, if it happens, will be the last. I somewhat liked the first one but ever since then, it just got worse and worse. A final entry would probably get them to try and recapture the magic of the original one rather than churning out another random sequel. From a financial standpoint, IA6, if it is the last one, will most likely stay flat or increase but if not, it will definitely bomb ( sub $250m WW for sure) as interest in the franchise is on the decline.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Ice Age 5 is going to end up with similar numbers as the first one WW (~$380m). Obviously, this is bad since the budget is now much bigger ($59m vs $105m), OS markets have highly expanded since then, as well as the fact that the first one made way more domestically where studios get a larger cut. I hope the sixth one, if it happens, will be the last. I somewhat liked the first one but ever since then, it just got worse and worse. A final entry would probably get them to try and recapture the magic of the original one rather than churning out another random sequel. From a financial standpoint, IA6, if it is the last one, will most likely stay flat or increase but if not, it will definitely bomb ( sub $250m WW for sure) as interest in the franchise is on the decline.

I don't see how this is possible.  I think it gets past 400 easily.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I texted my friend and asked him if he wanted to see Star Trek tomorrow.

The reply simply said fuck off :mellow:

Take one of your hot friends to see it, a girl Ethan...a girl.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't see how this is possible.  I think it gets past 400 easily.

Eh, it might get to $400m but definitely not easily. It's already opened in pretty much all its biggest markets except for China and is dropping 60% from IA4 everywhere. I see China either staying flat or dropping.

$250m from curent intl markets (currently at $130m comimg off a $50m wkd).

$50m from China.

$60m dom

$20m to $30m from whichever remaining markets it has.

Might hit $400m only if it overperforms some of these.

Amusing vague Cameron anecdote: a friend of a friend helped out as an assistant to the writing team on the sequels. What's funny is that while Cameron was (obviously) the head honcho who had total final say over everything (he had a huge stack incredibly detailed binders about all sorts of Avatar-related world/character/biospheres), he was also a bit of a loose cannon when it came to scheduling. Every so often he wouldn't show up at the office and people wouldn't know where he was, and then literally they'd see him show up on some Discovery Channel feed or something, exploring who knows what. And then the next day he'd be back in the office like nothing ever happened. 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I think it'll do more than you have it at, pretty much everywhere.  China might get to 100 mill.

$100m for an animated movie is very hard to achieve in China. Only two animated movies have ever done that there I think. Its performance in neighbouring asian countries doesn't exactly point towards it being a WOM beast in China. And it has huge competition there. Who knows though.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 1

Damn I have to wait for Star Trek: Beyond because I still need to rewatch Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness. Been too caught up in politics and Stranger Things lately.

Will probably check out Lights Out first and hope it's not a letdown.