Fancyarcher

Detroit (Kathryn Bigelow directing) (August 4, 2017)

2 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

He said it was not his kid

I know that. I read his post. The point still stands though. Who would take a 10 year old to see Detroit? Like, if you're bringing any kid to the theatre, you're taking them to a kid friendly movie. 

I remember when I saw Deadpool there were a bunch of kids there too. I was also in the emergency room one time where I saw a mom who had brought her kid in for some kind of injury. The kid was obviously in some kind of discomfort or distress, but she's just sitting there on her phone not paying any attention.

Parents these days are useless.

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Papers

Plot

A cover-up that spanned four U.S. Presidents pushed the country's first female newspaper publisher of The Washington Post, Kay Graham (Meryl Streep) and its hard-driving editor, Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks) to join an unprecedented battle between journalist and government in publishing the Pentagon Papers.

Look at the key words in the first Trump year Oscar, U.S. President cover up, first female newspaper publisher, journalism against government, those pentagons paper were about US military and political involvement of Vietnam and were part of the Watergate scandal involving Nixon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_Papers

My prediction is that will be the movie seen as important this season, it was rushed to be made because of the current environment.

Thanks!

"Rushed to be made because of the current environment" sounds a lot like Miss Sloane. :lol: I'll take my winner prediction chances with Detroit but hoping for DelTorro/Aronofsky movies to upset.

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Thanks!

"Rushed to be made because of the current environment" sounds a lot like Miss Sloane. :lol: 

Yeah but this is The Berg. He can put together dramas on the fly like noone else.

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Yeah but this is The Berg. He can put together dramas on the fly like noone else.

Eh, I think he's lost a lot of his shine. Lincoln was unbelievable bore and the less said about War Horse, the ultimate butt of jokes Oscar bait, the better. I agree about prestige and likely good reviews but I'm not sold on that thing being the winner material. It strikes me as a type of a movie that looks like a winner on paper only, cause it checks all the boxes, but never does cause something else connects.

2 hours ago, raegr said:

Lol a movie about the black struggle 

barely features black women in it

....SKIP

So I've seen this opinion a lot more than I thought on twitter.

I'm not well read on the specific situation in the film, so I don't know how prominent black women were at the hotel and the surrounding events covered in the film.

Obviously that's an excuse, but I think it deserves some discussion. I don't think a female director would actively exclude women from her film.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:36 PM, ChipMunky said:

So I've seen this opinion a lot more than I thought on twitter.

I'm not well read on the specific situation in the film, so I don't know how prominent black women were at the hotel and the surrounding events covered in the film.

Obviously that's an excuse, but I think it deserves some discussion. I don't think a female director would actively exclude women from her film.

i think the issue arose because of the title and the way they were marketing it as a film about the Detroit riots especially initially. (The first trailer marketed it as "the truth behind the riots") Obviously the question will come up  why are there are no black women in Detroit"

The movie seems to focus entirely on the Algiers Motel which black women weren't involved in but when you are marketing as a film about Detroit i think the backlash about  the lack of black women in the cast was inevitable  especially since they are a huge audience for these movies about race. 

Pictures like this don't help 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ban1o said:

i think the issue arose because of the title and the way they were marketing it as a film about the Detroit riots especially initially. (The first trailer marketed it as "the truth behind the riots") Obviously the question will come up  why are there are no black women in Detroit"

The movie seems to focus entirely on the Algiers Motel which black women weren't involved in but when you are marketing as a film about Detroit i think the backlash abou  the lack of black women in the cast was inevitable  especially since they are a huge audience for these movies about race. 

Pictures like this don't help 

I can understand that. But even if it's marketed that way, when you realize the story is about just a specific event, why would you still hold the marketing against it?

14 minutes ago, franfar said:

The video with Trump speaking with the cops literally happened yesterday

I know this lol. I'm talking about the tone they went with in that clip. The language that people use and how it affects people's perceptions on men of color which leads to police brutality. 

4 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I can understand that. But even if it's marketed that way, when you realize the story is about just a specific event, why would you still hold the marketing against it?

I think some of it has to do with bad timing with the movie coming so soon after the Showtime miniseries Guerrilla, which weirdly diminished the contributions of black women to its subject matter- black empowerment movements in the UK in the 70's. The producers and creators of that show, as well as Freida Pinto who played the female lead, received a lot of criticism in media and in real life. 

As ban10 said, with a blanket title like "Detroit" and through the earlier promos, people got the impression that this was tackling issues of racism and police brutality in 60's Detroit as a whole, so it seemed like another case of erasing black women from a part of their own history. The decision to name it Detroit instead of something specific to the incident like Algiers was deliberately done to strike a broader chord, so Ellison and co. should have been prepared for the critiques that would come with that decision.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I think some of it has to do with bad timing with the movie coming so soon after the Showtime miniseries Guerrilla, which weirdly diminished the contributions of black women to its subject matter- black empowerment movements in the UK in the 70's. The producers and creators of that show, as well as Freida Pinto who played the female lead, received a lot of criticism in media and in real life. 

As ban10 said, with a blanket title like "Detroit" and through the earlier promos, people got the impression that this was tackling issues of racism and police brutality in 60's Detroit as a whole, so it seemed like another case of erasing black women from a part of their own history. The decision to name it Detroit instead of something specific to the incident like Algiers was deliberately done to strike a broader chord, so Ellison and co. should have been prepared for the critiques that would come with that decision.

This. You explained it well. 

• Like 1

Detroit is one of those films that after viewing it, you would need to go to a bar, get a drink, and think about how fucked up society is. After watching Detroit, I was on my train ride home and everything I just witnessed from the movie sunk into my soul which resulted in me crying for a good 5 minutes. It wasn’t one of those silent cries where you start tearing and looking down, but it was one of those cries after your mama disciplines you.

Poulter delivers a performance so terrifying and threatening that you wouldn’t expect someone like him to play a character so detestable. He gives a Michael Fassbender 12 Years A Slave caliber of a performance as in the character he portrays so hateful; it's going to take me years to be willing to see a film featuring Will Poulter. 

I know I used this rating once this year, but no film in my entire life left me in shambles to the point that I broke down crying inside the theater and long after I'm out of the theater. Never has a movie broke me so much that I couldn't sleep until 3 AM. So when I see a movie that imprints on me like this, I give it a rating like this.

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//detroit-review

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Not sure if I will see this. I did not like the Hurt Locker and that was hyped up and won best picture. I still think thats one of the worst winners in recent times. This looks a bit better so maybe

Amen. HL is a truly awful winner especially going against Inglorious Bastards. I'm no giving Bigelow my money after that. Bootleg or TV, never cinema or DVD.

Edited by Valonqar