CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

remember that bit where Batman sits down and literally watches trailers for the next three DC movies?

Wasn't it Wonder Woman? Maybe it doesn't change what they are trying to express but still, looses credibility.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

So, teen appeal + free Friday tickets + poor (mixed?) WOM = large Saturday drop?

It's clearly a poor drop, but I don't think it is unreasonable for people to try to put it into context. It could be just flat out poor WOM that is driving this down quickly, or not. It will be interesting to see how the long term legs pan out. They could be just as bad as (or worse than) Batman v Superman, or maybe they will be better. Let's enjoy following it as a bunch o' box office nerds.

Also, Suicide Squad can have a poor Saturday drop in terms of frontloading, AND still be an impressive overall weekend gross because it's doing $120-125+ million and beating the previous August record by about $30+ million. These are not mutually exclusive observations.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Seriously look at this marketing

Suicide-Squad-Poster-Joker-and-Task-Forc

This is the main poster for the movie. How are you NOT going to presume Joker is the main villain? Especially with that second billing.

Jesus WB. Even if the movie was good with the current plot, you'd deserve bad WOM. This is worse than marketing Iron Man 3 as the darkest MCU film yet

Yeah. Joker standing on the cross too.

Genius marketing. Probably better than DP. I would give them the best marketing award if Oscars had one....and they let me.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Batman is their Iron Man, WW is their Thor, Superman is their Cap, and Flash is their Spider-man.

Iron Man as Movie that will create some actual good will for the DCEU.

Affleck s Batman wil be ready in 2018 at best, Affleck won't start shooting without a killer script.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Who knew one day DCU would strive and struggle to reach MOS's quality and legs. LOL

Interesting you would say that because MoS had a 45 million true Friday and a 37 million Saturday...

3 years later...

Edited by UrosepsisFace

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Interesting you would say that because MoS had a 45 million true Friday and a 37 million Saturday...

3 years later...

No, the $44m Friday included $9m in Thur previews.  The True Friday was $35m 

The $12m reported for Thur was actually the separate Walmart thing.

• Like 1

RT Watch: 'Nine Lives' is officially the worst reviewed film of the summer thus far. Can any of the movies opening in the last few weeks of the summer 'out do' it? Heh.

I will update the list to add the three films opening this coming weekend once they have some more reviews. Florence Foster Jenkins is the one opener with a solid number of reviews already (with fifty reviews) and looks like it will be one of the best reviewed films of the summer. And it does look like all three openers (Florence, Pete's Dragon, and Sausage Party) will be fresh.

Peace,

Mike

Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Finding Dory - 94% - 7.7 rating
  2. The Nice Guys - 91% - 7.6 rating
  3. Captain America: Civil War - 90% - 7.6 rating
  4. Star Trek Beyond - 84% - 6.9 rating
  5. The Conjuring 2 - 80% - 6.7 rating
  6. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - 77% - 6.7 rating
  7. The Shallows - 77% - 6.5 rating
  8. Lights Out - 76% - 6.3 rating
  9. Secret Life of Pets - 75% - 6.2 rating
  10. The BFG - 73% - 6.7 rating
  11. Ghostbusters - 73% - 6.5 rating
  12. The Infiltrator - 68% - 6.5 rating 
  13. Central Intelligence - 68% - 5.7 rating
  14. Bad Moms - 63% - 5.7 rating
  15. Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising - 62% - 5.7 rating
  16. Me Before You - 59% - 5.6 rating
  17. Jason Bourne - 57% - 5.9 rating
  18. Money Monster - 57% - 5.9 rating
  19. Nerve - 57% - 5.6 rating
  20. The Purge: Election Year - 54% - 5.3 rating
  21. X-Men: Apocalypse - 48% - 5.7 rating
  22. Free State of Jones - 43% - 5.4 rating
  23. Angry Birds Movie - 43% - 4.9 rating
  24. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - 39% - 5.0 rating
  25. TMNT: Out of the Shadows - 38% - 4.7 rating
  26. The Legend of Tarzan - 35% - 5.0 rating
  27. Now You See Me 2 - 34% - 4.9 rating
  28. Independence Day: Resurgence - 32% - 4.4 rating
  29. Alice Through the Looking Glass - 30% - 4.6 rating
  30. Warcraft - 29% - 4.2 rating
  31. Suicide Squad - 26% - 4.7 rating
  32. Ice Age: Collision Course - 12% - 3.9 rating
  33. The Darkness - 5% - 2.5 rating
  34. Nine Lives - 5% - 1.9 rating 
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

She's an Economist.  I too prefer the characters and story line in the books.  Have you seen the 1980s mini series with Richard Chamberlain?

Very good movies but they're Bourne in name and amnesia only.

Thank you, I should have remembered as often as I have read the books. Never was more disappointed about movie-based-on-books adapptionss (=the Matt Damon's versions) I am usually not having problems with changings, but to take away literally all that makes them special...

No, I do not, do you remember if Marie St. Jacques is shoen in an interesting way?

Still have to back-read some 20++ pages ...

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I would love this.

And I can't wait to see what Marvel has in store for phase 4.

The Defenders? Fantastic Four? Planet Hulk

This isn't happening as a solo film. It's being incorporated into Thor Ragnorak.

30 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Iron Man as Movie that will create some actual good will for the DCEU.

Affleck s Batman wil be ready in 2018 at best, Affleck won't start shooting without a killer script.

At this rate, and with WB not firing Snyder's ass, is an Affleck's Batman film even happening? How much is too much? What needs to happen for WB to deal with Snyder and end this once and for all? HOW LONG UNTIL DCEU REBIRTH? Until no one cares anymore?

Edited by iJackSparrow

Oh and I got back from Suicide Squad an hour ago. Not sure where all the negativity comes from; sure there were plot holes and in general I don't like how modern CBMs all have stakes like "the world will be destroyed" etc. Whatever happened to the good old days where it was Spider-Man vs Green Goblin.

But the characters were great, Leto was good despite only being in the film really to cameo. Smith and Robbie killed it, even Courtenay had a pretty great scene or two. Effects were good, action was fun, movie didn't drag. But the post credit scene was lame. 

7/10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Oh and I got back from Suicide Squad an hour ago. Not sure where all the negativity comes from; sure there were plot holes and in general I don't like how modern CBMs all have stakes like "the world will be destroyed" etc. Whatever happened to the good old days where it was Spider-Man vs Green Goblin.

But the characters were great, Leto was good despite only being in the film really to cameo. Smith and Robbie killed it, even Courtenay had a pretty great scene or two. Effects were good, action was fun, movie didn't drag. But the post credit scene was lame. 

7/10

Glad you liked mate, I feel very much the same, even tho my grade is a bit higher, 4/5.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Seriously look at this marketing

Suicide-Squad-Poster-Joker-and-Task-Forc

This is the main poster for the movie. How are you NOT going to presume Joker is the main villain? Especially with that second billing.

Jesus WB. Even if the movie was good with the current plot, you'd deserve bad WOM. This is worse than marketing Iron Man 3 as the darkest MCU film yet

I love ya blank but I'm gunna have to disagree with you on this one. Thought the marketing was fantastic; you don't get a 65M OD if you don't have good marketing. Sure I expected there to be more Joker, but I still liked what I got, and he did what he should do in that you get a taste for what's to come.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you, I should have remembered as often as I have read the books. Never was more disappointed about movie-based-on-books adapptionss (=the Matt Damon's versions) I am usually not having problems with changings, but to take away literally all that makes them special...

No, I do not, do you remember if Marie St. Jacques is shoen in an interesting way?

Still have to back-read some 20++ pages ...

Their relationship and her character quite faithful to the book as is most of the plot including David's background and Vietnam and Carlos.  It's 3 hours long.  It's certainly not as viscerally action centered as the films and it's not one of the great miniseries of the 70s and 80s but it's solid and immeasurably closer to the novel.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1