CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Suicide Squad will be very profitable for WB. It will be big on Blu-ray and digital sales, TV rights and stuff. Not to mention merchandising that went through the roof since marketing started. This movie is guaranteed to make a lot of money for WB. Don't be worried about reaching that rumored $800M mark needed to break even.

About the second weekend drop, BVS had a big drop because WB made the mistake* to announce an extended cut so people saved money to buy the movie on digital/Blu-ray. There were also Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse on the horizon, people don't have unlimited money, specially younger people. The next big movies this audience will see are in the very end of the year (Rogue One and Doctor Strange, and this last one didn't even has much of an awareness yet). That being said, I don't expect SS to have such a big drop, unless WOM is really toxic (which now I don't think it is).

*that's debatable since they're making a lot of money out of digital and Blu-ray sales.

The film will be profitable but don't overestimate it's success. It will sell merchandise, tv rights and blu rays like any other film but it wont perform above average.

The film will come and go like majority of films especially since it appeals to a younger market. I dont think the film will leave much of an Impression that will make it abnormally profitable in a certain sector. 

Merchandising will probably help a lot but as the film appeals to a young market they will move on to the next trend quickly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Suicide Squad will be very profitable for WB. It will be big on Blu-ray and digital sales, TV rights and stuff. Not to mention merchandising that went through the roof since marketing started. This movie is guaranteed to make a lot of money for WB. Don't be worried about reaching that rumored $800M mark needed to break even.

About the second weekend drop, BVS had a big drop because WB made the mistake* to announce an extended cut so people saved money to buy the movie on digital/Blu-ray. There were also Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse on the horizon, people don't have unlimited money, specially younger people. The next big movies this audience will see are in the very end of the year (Rogue One and Doctor Strange, and this last one didn't even has much of an awareness yet). That being said, I don't expect SS to have such a big drop, unless WOM is really toxic (which now I don't think it is).

*that's debatable since they're making a lot of money out of digital and Blu-ray sales.

Do you think BvS had a 69% drop because it announced a ultimate cut? It's may have been a factor but WOM was very very poor

Audience reception and WOM were bad for BvS, and that impacted legs.

1. Cinema Score -- Most superhero movies get a variation of A, but BvS got a B. 

2. Social media -- Box Office Pro found a worse positive:negative ratio for it than other movies among tweets.

3. Flixster-- Only at 66% right now.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
56 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Did WB go on like every news program out there and run TV ads telling people there will be an extended cut? Did WB have people stand outside the theater telling them there will be an extended cut? 'Cause if so, you might have a point. If not, I really don't see how enough people knew about the extended cut to make a difference. Not everyone follows entertainment news. Also a mistake? They had to announce there was an extended cut to try and quell nerd anger.

• Like 1

On August 3, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Blankments said:

Suicide Squad - 133.836m

Nine Lives - 8.634m

From the tracking thread

My Suicide Squad weekend predict was probably my most accurate... Like ever :o 

• Like 2

I'd like to think of BvS's legs as a whole separate movie than BvS's OW. If BvS's legs were it's own movie, how would it rank?

1. Finding Dory

2. Civil War

3. Deadpool

4. Jungle Book

5. Zootopia

6. Secret Life of Pet

7. BvS's OW

8. BvS's Legs -164m

9. X-Men Apocalypse

10. Kung Fu Panda

11. Suicide Squad

12. Star Trek Beyond

13. Central Intelligence

14. The Legend of Tarzan

15. Ghostbusters

16. Angry Birds

17. Jason Bourne

18. Independence Day: Resurgence

19. The Conjuring 2

20. Ride Along 2

To be fair, Suicide Squad will eventually do better than BvS's legs, but X-Men:A, STB, JB, GB, KFP, CI, LoT, IDR, and TCJ2 will all fall short...

BvS's Legs could have been much better, but it'd be a top 10 movie all on its own, lol. Heck, it'd fare pretty well against last summer too. Ant-Man finished with only 180m, Straight Outta Compton 161m, San Andreas 155m, and Mad Max 154m. 

• Like 1

Question: if Suicide Squad on 175m budget needs 800m to break even, what did Thor on 150m budget need? Or Thor Dark World 170m, CA: TWS 170m, CA 140m? Did half the Marvel Cinematic Universe lose money? Does that mean the whole X-Men trilogy (160m-200m budgets) lost money? Wouldn't that mean the whole Star Trek franchise (150m - 190m) hemorrhaged money? I'm going about this the long way...wouldn't just above every tentpole movie for the last 20 years have lost money?

• Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

Question: if Suicide Squad on 175m budget needs 800m to break even, what did Thor on 150m budget need? Or Thor Dark World 170m, CA: TWS 170m, CA 140m? Did half the Marvel Cinematic Universe lose money? Does that mean the whole X-Men trilogy (160m-200m budgets) lost money? Wouldn't that mean the whole Star Trek franchise (150m - 190m) hemorrhaged money? I'm going about this the long way...wouldn't just above every tentpole movie for the last 20 years have lost money?

Makes you wonder how Hollywood is still standing. :P SS will likely break even and make a profit after it's theatrical run, like most movies. Although with Hollywood accounting, it likely won't make a profit.

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Makes you wonder how Hollywood is still standing. :P SS will likely break even and make a profit after it's theatrical run, like most movies. Although with Hollywood accounting, it likely won't make a profit.

This is probably the most perfect explanation.

• Like 1