grim22

Alpha | August 17, 2018 | First movie from Jeff Robinov's Studio 8 | Sony releasing. Albert Hughes directing. Ice-Age set survival tale. Filmed in IMAX. Kodi Smit-McPhee starring

I guess I’ll need to see this one then?

Reviews seem to highlight the lead guy, the visuals and brisk/epic direction (weird that a 90 minute movie is being called an epic, I’d agree there)

Weird how Sony had absolutely no idea how to market it though, and thus decided to lay it in the dumps of late August.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Reviews seem to highlight the lead guy, the visuals and brisk/epic direction (weird that a 90 minute movie is being called an epic, I’d agree there)

Weird how Sony had absolutely no idea how to market it though, and thus decided to lay it in the dumps of late August.

I found a clue when I looked at Common Sense Media; apparently, the dialogue is a made-up prehistoric language with English subtitles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I found a clue when I looked at Common Sense Media; apparently, the dialogue is a made-up prehistoric language with English subtitles.

That’s actually pretty cool, I wonder how that’ll play with the GA though

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PANDA said:

The run time doesn't guarantee a disappointing movie. But what you can expect is QUICK moving battles and action scenes, that would normally last a bit longer in 120+ films. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Curtis1986 said:

It's funny because everything people complained about they love and other movies. a big-budget film that was gorgeously shot with good  Special effects and heartwarming story. 

But you never could have seen that from the awful trailers.

• Like 1

Hughes Brothers have always expressed that they wanted to break out of the success of their classic gangster films. From Hell was a major misstep, because their penchant for striking imagery didn't mix well with the pulp historical aspects of the plot. It appears Book of Eli and Alpha show promise that they're able to do it, but Hollywood doesn't know how to market these efforts.

• Like 1

It was okay. Not trash like many of us thought it would be, but I wouldn’t guess it would be an 80+ RT score if I didn’t know going in. 

Felt like it should have been one of those 45 minute IMAX exclusives.

• Like 1

Strange...the smaller AMC has Mile 22 as the IMAX movie, and Alpha as the standard. Alpha is type of adventure film that belongs on IMAX, while Mile 22 is a popcorn shoot-em-up. 

The larger AMC has it right...Alpha is the IMAX 3D feature, and Mile 22 got the standards. 

I'll figure out what I'm gonna do...the distant AMC has the right formats...