grim22

Alpha | August 17, 2018 | First movie from Jeff Robinov's Studio 8 | Sony releasing. Albert Hughes directing. Ice-Age set survival tale. Filmed in IMAX. Kodi Smit-McPhee starring

19 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Just saw the movie and it’s a damn shame it’s getting overlooked. One of the worst marketing campaigns I’ve ever seen. It’s like they wanted this movie to flop... 

hey, it's Sony. . What do you expect, competence?

Sony manages to put out a really good movie, but still finds a way to screw it up. Some people in SONTY marketing need to be fired ASAP.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Just to think two weeks ago nobody thought it would even get half that number on RT.

When you have crappy trailers, what can you  expect people to think.?

This seems to be one of the worst handled films in recent history

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JB33 said:

I saw this and enjoyed it as well. Weird how it was treated as this garbage, shelf-sitting dump of a movie when it's not like that all. 

Totally bizarre, the history of this film.

IIt's not wierd at all, when you considser how bad the marketing was.I had no desrie to see the film after those crappy trailers.

I’m happy for the movie, but good lord did Sony completely botch its release. If it had been given a proper release with a decent push, it may have challenged $100m. Maybe that’s a bit much, but if it really did turn out to be this good, who knows.

• Like 1

Best movie I've seen all year, maybe a couple years. Infinity War, Deadpool, that stuff...I'm not watching that for an oscar worthy experience 🙂

The 96 minute run time told me it was going to feel brief, and that was my only gripe. But it was beautifully shot, and they built an emotional bond, in a survival adventure. 

I didnt have time to go to the larger AMC, so I had to settle for a standard 3D viewing at the smaller location. So I feel like I didnt see it in the right format. The IMAX screen oddly went to Mile 22 at this location... I'm gonna see it again, in the IMAX format. 

• Thanks 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, Spagheditary said:

I’m happy for the movie, but good lord did Sony completely botch its release. If it had been given a proper release with a decent push, it may have challenged $100m. Maybe that’s a bit much, but if it really did turn out to be this good, who knows.

I am happy it turned out be a good movie;but  anybody who thinks a 10 Million opening is good news for this from a box office viewpoint is living in another reality. And the WOM mouth will save it scenario: Often predicted, seldom happens in the real world.

Good movies often flop,and Bad movies often make tons of money.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, AJG said:

Nobody was thinking about this movie in general two weeks ago.

Which shows how bad the marketing by SONY was. THis kind of movie needs a really good marketing campaign to sell it;instead it got a really inept one.

After streaming and blu ray markets, its gonna get a lot of cable action. Animal Planet, SyFy, Turner Networks, USA, etc. People brought their kids, and they loved the wolf.

The advertising for the film didnt help. It was portrayed as a joyous buddy movie. That song, they're playing in the water...instead on the grim survival adventure film that it actually was.

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is 10mil a good opening for a film that cost 50mil to make? Remember when people claimed that Teen Titans Go good word of mouth would save it? Yeah, how did that work out?

That's the difference between a $10M and a $50M+ production budget (depending who you ask:) that open to almost the same number...one will be fine financially, and one will be a misfire...

Edited by TwoMisfits

17 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

The theater run is going to be a failure, but I can see this having life on streaming and cable.

Maybe, but not enough to get it's money back.

It's sad, but a lot of the time really good movies lose money.

17 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is 10mil a good opening for a film that cost 50mil to make? Remember when people claimed that Teen Titans Go good word of mouth would save it? Yeah, how did that work out?

Given that the movie has a 100 Million break even point if the budget was 50 (the studio only gets from 50 to 55% of the box offict take) it's not a good opening.

And a lot of sources are putting the budget more in the 70 Million range.

Edited by dudalb

20 hours ago, The Futurist said:

They should have made a movie people wanted to see.

The Caveman genre has never been that popular. Even "Quest for Fire" was movie that people talked an awful lot about, but not all that many actually paid to see.