Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

Year top movies could look like

1. RO - Star Wars
  2. DORY - Animation
  3. CW - CBM
  4. SLOP - Animation
  5. DP - CBM
  6. TJB - "Animation"
  7. ZOOTOPIA - Animation
  8. BVS - CBM
  9. SS / MOANA - CBM/Animation
  10. SS / MOANA - CBM/Animation

EDIT: All movies in top 10 doing 300M+ looking likelier by the day.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And after the OW, a LOT of users here thought it wouldn't hit 300M and definitely wouldn't hit Zootopia numbers. Blinded by hatred those users were.

Maybe SING can surprise us too and prove the naysayers wrong.

Just now, a2knet said:

1. RO - Star Wars
  2. DORY - Animation
  3. CW - CBM
  4. SLOP - Animation
  5. DP - CBM
  6. TJB - "Animation"
  7. ZOOTOPIA - Animation
  8. BVS - CBM

6 Disney movies (3 animated, 1 Star Wars, 1 Marvel, 1 adapted from classic cartoon), 2 WB/DC, 1 Uni animated, 1 Fox Marvel

With Doctor Strange (Disney/Marvel) and Fantastic Beasts (WB/Potter) likely finishing just outside the top 10

Yay?

• Like 1

Random thoughts in no particular order:

- Sausage is likely to be frontloaded. This is not a huge legs movie.

- Suicide Squad is doing just fine so far, given the historic August OW it had.

- Cinemascore is useless. Various examples over the years of high Cinemascore films flopping at the box office, and vice versa. A film like Inception years ago had a mixed Cinemascore, yet had godly box office legs

- nobody should be surprised by the state of affairs on these forums, given that most members are millennials, and some mods are very young millennials.

- box office tastes are definitely changing, when you have films like Deadpool performing so incredibly domestically at the box office, yet films like Zoolander 2 and Popstar flopping.

- Zack Snyder does NOT consider BvS theatrical cut as "his" cut. The truth is Snyder considers BvS ultimate cut his true cut, his intended cut. Snyder wanted the ultimate cut to be the theatrical cut, but WB said no. So he was forced to make a shortened cut, which is what the theatrical cut is, but is not what he intended for audiences.

- All the BvS criticism got to WB's head, so at this point it's extremely unlikely we will ever get Ayer's true original Suicide Squad cut. Expect future DC films to be more, not less, politically correct, more diluted, and more toned down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Maybe SING can surprise us too and prove the naysayers wrong.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It will, and Blanks will have an aneurysm thanks to its box office performance.

I feel down on SING. Feel PETS-SING could be ILLUMINATION's IO-TGD combo :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

6 Disney movies (3 animated, 1 Star Wars, 1 Marvel, 1 adapted from classic cartoon), 2 WB/DC, 1 Uni animated, 1 Fox Marvel

With Doctor Strange (Disney/Marvel) and Fantastic Beasts (WB/Potter) likely finishing just outside the top 10

Yay?

Disney's greatest year I guess. Marvel, WDAS, Pixar, SW, Live-action movies all clicking.

I was rooting for FB to go into the top 10 or at least 300M+. Even as a big Potteroonie, the teaser and the comic con trailer have felt a bit meh. Still some ways to go though. Hopeful about the movie. Wouldn't it be something if it does 300M and stays out of top 10 because Moana does more?

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It will, and Blanks will have an aneurysm thanks to its box office performance.

I'm fully expecting Sing to be huge but I plan on being so into Rogue One that I'll basically ignore its performance (similar to this thread in reverse kinda seeing the primary discussion is Suicide Squad even though I'm into Sausage Party lol)

Just now, a2knet said:

Disney's greatest year I guess. Marvel, WDAS, Pixar, SW, Live-action movies all clicking.

I was rooting for FB to go into the top 10 or at least 300M+. Even as a big Potteroonie, the teaser and the comic con trailer have felt a bit meh. Still some ways to go though. Hopeful about the movie. Wouldn't it be something if it does 300M and stays out of top 10 because Moana does more?

If FB can eek out 300M (I find that extremely doubtful but this is hypothetical) and DS does ~180 we'll go entire calendar year with nothing finishing in the 200-300 range

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dear god Raimi's original Spider-Man movie is perfect. Miss the days when superhero movies were like this, and not all "giant magical monster gonna destroy the entire world/universe"

It really is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The SS increase on Friday kind of makes it clear that the big drop on last Saturday was fueled by T-Mobile. That drop is pretty much the only crazy drop in its run to date. Every other drop is pretty much along expected lines +/- 5%. 13M Friday pretty much means 300M+

The Pets drop is beyond ridiculous. A 20% drop in the face of family competition is just crazy. Inside Out is done for. Looks like Jungle Book is the target for it now.

DM2 has been my target ever since this past weekend and now I'm definitely convinced it can do it. Will be a mere 2m behind after this weekend with a 6th weekend nearly twice as much as DM2's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Don't Breathe is getting good reviews. The marketing has been muted so far but I wonder if it could surprise and pull bigger than expected #s leading up to and during Labor Day Weekend. 

Saw the trailer for the first time while I went to watch SP today.  I might actually see it.  It looks fun.

50 minutes ago, a2knet said:

1. RO - Star Wars
  2. DORY - Animation
  3. CW - CBM
  4. SLOP - Animation
  5. DP - CBM
  6. TJB - "Animation"
  7. ZOOTOPIA - Animation
  8. BVS - CBM

EDIT: All movies in top 10 doing 300M+ looking likelier by the day.

People are so convinced that Moana is doing 300m lol. I will love the meltdowns on that one.

• Like 2

Superb hold for all holdovers except the obvious stinker. :P

Really happy about the holds for Bourne and Beyond. :)

So no matter how extraordinary the marketing is, the quality or the lack thereof does catch up. :lol:

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Wow some decent Fridays for a change.... which puts Suicide even more in perspective. 

some fairly ridiculous statements here and its coming from all the usual suspects as well. Of course these other movies have better drops they are also older movies. Logic does not seem to compute with people that only has hate on their minds :rolleyes: Its a fairly normal drop for a movie that opens that big.

Edited by mredman
  • Like 1