Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Pete's Dragon was amazing. 

Now I'm waiting for Sausage Party. A bit skeptical on how much I'll like it.

Why?

Hide contents

Based on what I've read Sausage Party, it's anti-religion and as a Christian...

I just saw Pete's Dragon, it was amazing! hope it holds really well. I was a bit surprised it was so good, one of the best films of the year!

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I was curious if it was just the DC film WB was.. lacking at so I looked up the last 10 blockbuster budgeted films (100m or more) and 9 out of 10 of them had mixed to bad reception, and 5 of them were financial failures as well. in fact the only one that was raved about was Mad Max and that was directed by George Miller. granted they are doing a little better with their smaller films. but whatever they are doing with their bigger properties obviously isn't working out very well for them. which is a shame because they've have released great films in the past, and it would be nice if Disney had some legitimate competition. I hope they get it together soon for DC's sake.  

I'm not a fan of their executive changes over the last few years, but that's a totally off-topic discussion.

The only ace WB currently has is Nolan.

• Like 1

I think it is fair to point out that CW's legs were not seen as a sign of weak WOM, although people can reasonably argue that it was about the lack of appeal to newcomers. However, few people argue that the legs/multiple are good Many of us have been surprised or puzzled by the fact that they were not better.

• Like 2

In the meantime, No'1 for 3 consecutive weeks:

Top 20 NPD VideoScan First Alert, powered by Nielsen, chart for the week ended 8/7/16:

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
2. Batman: The Killing Joke (new)
3. Mother’s Day (new)
4. The Boss
5. Zootopia
6. Keanu (new)
7. Miracles From Heaven
8. Allegiant
9. Criminal
10. Deadpool
11. Barbershop: The Next Cut
12. Kung Fu Panda 3
13. Ghostbusters
14. Traded (new)
15. PAW Patrol: Sports Day (new)
16. Hardcore Henry
17. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
18. Meet the Blacks (new)
19. The Bourne Classified Collection
20. I Am Wrath

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

I don't think there is any way it has a sub 50% drop next weekend.  

It's also online now. Nowhere near as good as Civil War but it's definitely watchable. The audio is good, it's just dark in areas going by the screens.

11 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

These sorts of numbers do bring dollars to WB. And the budgets could arguably be trimmed a bit without hurting the movies' commercial potential. Say 225 for Justice League. Suicide Squad could have been done for 160M it looks like. That is the movies are profitable. If the movies do not improve, then would that change? Scott Mendelson surmised that the DCEU could be like the Twilight of comic book movies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/09/the-dc-films-universe-is-the-twilight-of-comic-book-superhero-movies-and-thats-okay/#252dec5379f0

That was one of the most depressing articles I've ever read.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Why?

Hide contents

Based on what I've read Sausage Party, it's anti-religion and as a Christian...

I'm Christian too and honestly at this point if something is funny it's funny, and if the criticisms are valid they're valid. I've seen so much of all these anti-religion shows and movies that I've become kinda numb to the whole argument. I'll still believe in what I want to believe and I doubt anything will stop me, all I ask from these films is to just be entertaining. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

I think it is fair to point out that CW's legs were not seen as a sign of weak WOM, although people can reasonably argue that it was about the lack of appeal to newcomers. However, few people argue that the legs/multiple are good Many of us have been surprised or puzzled by the fact that they were not better.

We'll never really know what impact Civil War hitting torrent sites the Sunday of release had on it's rewatchability factor. That was a big deal and thousands did watch it that way. It might not have been huge considering past screeners went on to have good legs but like the AOU fight, it's a factor we can't really account for.

I'd say it's poor legs had more to do with the adult story and the fact that it was so late into the MCU universe. You had to watch a lot of movies to really get it.

Let's please not pretend like the DCEU failing in the long run will lead to an end of DC films or anything like that.  They'll go on hiatus for a bit and then reboot Batman or Superman and life will go on.

They have timeless characters, and if one creators vision doesn't go well with the GA in the long run, then another will come along and give it a spin and the GA will give that guys take a shot.

Superman and Batman are near equivalents of those different classic novels that get a new adaption every 5-10 years.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I'm Christian too and honestly at this point if something is funny it's funny, and if the criticisms are valid they're valid. I've seen so much of all these anti-religion shows and movies that I've become kinda numb to the whole argument. I'll still believe in what I want to believe and I doubt anything will stop me, all I ask from these films is to just be entertaining. 

lol pretty much everything is anti Christian nowadays especially in Hollywood. I'm a Christian and I don't care. Make all the jokes you want.

I like it a lot less when a film is obviously trying to shove an agenda in my face (Neighbors 2). I see enough of that on social media.

7 minutes ago, Ohana said:

In the meantime, No'1 for 3 consecutive weeks:

Top 20 NPD VideoScan First Alert, powered by Nielsen, chart for the week ended 8/7/16:

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
2. Batman: The Killing Joke (new)
3. Mother’s Day (new)
4. The Boss
5. Zootopia
6. Keanu (new)
7. Miracles From Heaven
8. Allegiant
9. Criminal
10. Deadpool
11. Barbershop: The Next Cut
12. Kung Fu Panda 3
13. Ghostbusters
14. Traded (new)
15. PAW Patrol: Sports Day (new)
16. Hardcore Henry
17. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
18. Meet the Blacks (new)
19. The Bourne Classified Collection
20. I Am Wrath

Who woulda thought that the big well promoted extended cut editions of a fanboy film would still be a number one seller with such heavy new competition from incredibly notable and popular movies like Mother's Day, Meet the Blacks, and the worldwide smash hit Paw Patrol: Sports Day...

• Like 7

Just now, AJG said:

Who woulda thought that the big well promoted extended cut editions of a fanboy film would still be a number one seller with such heavy new competition from incredibly notable and popular movies like Mother's Day, Meet the Blacks, and the worldwide smash hit Paw Patrol: Sports Day...

PAW PATROL is a lurking giant. It's incredibly popular... but you need to have young children in order to even be familiar with it. :lol: 

• Like 3

Amazing for Sausage Party, that one will either have a sequel or TV series on cable/streaming. Adult-animated shows do well on TV

So so for Pete's Dragon, the family audience is pretty much satisfied this summer with Dory and Pets making a killing in the box office

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Why?

Reveal hidden contents

FWIW

I'm a Christian and still found it crazy-enjoyable in spite of that aspect

• Like 1