Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

Let's face it. The DCEU is fucked. 

Three films in a row with great trailers/novelties, killer 3-day openings followed by mixed-to-negative reactions and awful legs. One can't spin "Well... let's see how Wonder Woman will be received." Even if it is good, the damage is done. Ditto Justice League. "But the Comic-Con trailers were awesome!" Have you not learned from the last three films? Seriously? You're still clinging to that?!? If you're coming off a film people by and large didn't like, then guess what? Less of them will flock out to see the next one, especially if it has direct associate with the last one (specifically Gal Gadot as Diana) and even more so since it's three films in a row that have burned audiences. 

Best case scenario, they follow the trajectory of the X-Men franchise and build back goodwill after two big moneymaking divisive stinkers. Unfortunately they can't afford to take their time now such as it is (a decision they purposefully made after Man of Steel's second weekend drop). And as I've said before, I am not convinced Ben Affleck's Batman (Batfleck, if you will) has been truly embraced by the public. Seems more like fandom being fandom, a la overpraising something to the high-heavens after over-hating it beforehand or in this case looking for something remotely positive to latch onto that disaster known as Batman vs. Superman. Haven't heard a single person (in real life) point out how much they're dying to see more of Batfleck. More like, "He was OK, I guess."

And throwing in Geoff Johns means nothing to Wonder Woman or Justice League since both are done deals. Anything to come after that (and boy do I question the fates of those ever happening save for obviously Batfleck: The Motion Picture and Aquaman, the latter specifically thanks to one James Wan), then yes we'll know if it meant anything or if it's just a glorified dog and pony show to appease the .00001% of the population (read: fandom) whose interest studios shouldn't be focusing in on. 

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Let's face it. The DCEU is fucked. 

Three films in a row with great trailers/novelties, killer 3-day openings followed by mixed-to-negative reactions and awful legs. One can't spin "Well... let's see how Wonder Woman will be received." Even if it is good, the damage is done. Ditto Justice League. "But the Comic-Con trailers were awesome!" Have you not learned from the last three films? Seriously? You're still clinging to that?!? If you're coming off a film people by and large didn't like, then guess what? Less of them will flock out to see the next one, especially if it has direct associate with the last one (specifically Gal Gadot as Diana) and even more so since it's three films in a row that have burned audiences. 

Best case scenario, they follow the trajectory of the X-Men franchise and build back goodwill after two big moneymaking divisive stinkers. Unfortunately they can't afford to take their time now such as it is (a decision they purposefully made after Man of Steel's second weekend drop). And as I've said before, I am not convinced Ben Affleck's Batman (Batfleck, if you will) has been truly embraced by the public. Seems more like fandom being fandom, a la overpraising something to the high-heavens after over-hating it beforehand or in this case looking for something remotely positive to latch onto that disaster known as Batman vs. Superman. Haven't heard a single person (in real life) point out how much they're dying to see more of Batfleck. More like, "He was OK, I guess."

And throwing in Geoff Johns means nothing to Wonder Woman or Justice League since both are done deals. Anything to come after that (and boy do I question the fates of those ever happening save for obviously Batfleck: The Motion Picture and Aquaman, the latter specifically thanks to one James Wan), then yes we'll know if it meant anything or if it's just a glorified dog and pony show to appease the .00001% of the population (read: fandom) whose interest studios shouldn't be focusing in on. 

Oh, please. 

• Like 1

44.4 would be a 67% drop for SS.

223.5 10-day cume.

10-day cume as a % of OW for CBMs 2016 [with final multiplier] :

DP - 179% (132.4 ow =>236.9 10-day) [2.74x]

APOC - 178% (65.8 ow =>117 10-day) [2.36x]

SS - 167% (133.7 ow =>223.5 10-day) [?]

CW - 165% (179.1 ow =>296 10-day) [2.28x]

BVS - 159% (166 ow =>260.4 10-day) [1.99x]

I like how the % and Multiplier for the other 4 CBMs are in the same order, though DP multiplier is an outlier in how much higher it is.

As SS is close to CW and just a little higher, a 2.3x multiplier seems like a good bet, which would give it 307.5M DOM.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

SS will really struggle to get to 600 million WW, if it even manages that . So much for all the marketing $$$$ . Maybe WB should donate some of the money it uses to promote its DC movies to charity , built some hospitals and schools or something .

You could say the same thing that Marvel should have done that instead of making those pieces of trash known as Thor 2 or Incredible Hulk.

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

There seems to be an error with the Pet's % drop. $8.7m would be a 24% drop from last weekend's $11.5m, not a 19% drop.

Yeah, they had the initial estimates at 9.4m (-18%). They revised it to 8.7m but did not updated the %. Oh Deadline :)

So is 13.4M enough to bring people back from the ledge and others to put their pitchforks away? Let's find out.

Also, to the person who said I had revisionist history with GOTG, that's not the case, you want to talk revisionist history let's discuss how most people here did not have SS anywhere near $90M OW, nevermind $133M but now we say those numbers are poor and the holds are poor... 

Listen, $133M +$40M is still way higher then an $80M opening and a 50% second weekend hold.

You don't get it. It's not just about legs, it's also how you debut.. trying to minimize a ridiculous OW makes you look like a hater. Lol.

• Like 3

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- new Pete’s Dragon Walt Disney $6,955,000   3,702 $1,879   $6,955,000 1
- (11) Finding Dory Walt Disney $370,000 +6% 1,631 $227   $475,783,060 57
- new Hell or High Water Lionsgate $193,623   32 $6,051   $193,623 1
- (-) The BFG Walt Disney $89,000 +73% 193 $461   $53,119,538 43
- (-) The Jungle Book Walt Disney $53,000 +35% 186 $285   $362,853,566 120
- (-) Captain America: Civil War Walt Disney $53,000 +80% 162 $327   $407,381,783 99
- (-) Gleason Open Road $52,470 +94% 148 $355   $368,561 15
- (-) Alice Through the Looking G… Walt Disney $15,000 -11% 86 $174   $76,927,804 78