Nova

Wednesday Numbers: SS $4.1M (Guru)

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

It's just his reaction to a movie -- it's neither smart nor dumb.

Saying anything is boring always strikes me as a dumb criticism.

It just reminds me of a saying I've heard: "Only boring people get bored".

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Saying anything is boring always strikes me as a dumb criticism.

It just reminds me of a saying I've heard: "Only boring people get bored".

The people saying that never watched some films by Kieslowsky.

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

He loves Illumination though :lol: I mean, I get that the movies have huge marketing campaigns but I really don't see their appeal. To each their own.

Well, here's their another appeal of why they do well....aside from great marketing.....they have pretty good quality in their movies.

Some of their films has been in the 74-81% range on RT. And also....Illumination doesn't always go too overbudget with their films. Minatakla knows a bit better about this so he can tell about why and where the films has their appeals.

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well, here's their another appeal of why they do well....aside from great marketing.....they have pretty good quality in their movies.

Some of their films has been in the 74-81% range on RT. And also....Illumination doesn't always go too overbudget with their films. Minatakla knows a bit better about this so he can tell about why and where the films has their appeals.

I know why they're big, I don't need an explanation :lol: 

The reason Illumination does so well is because they produce middling movies that don't make waves or offend anyone, while being entertaining enough that adults taking their kids won't want to totally bail out.  Basically the quality's not great but it's not terrible either.  It's very 'safe'.   A lot of Illumination is really a bit on the forgettable side, even if it does open big.  This is actually the kind of thing that Jim Davis (creator of Garfield) used as a tactic for his comic.  You don't want it to be too good because people will either want to tear it down or it'll cause drama, but you need it to be good enough that the majority of people aren't going to regret watching it afterward.

Plus, y'know, all the money they save by paying less than half the budget of a Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks film just goes into the giant machine that is their marketing department.  And unlike movies for adults, they get just as much - or even more - marketing push from merchandise than they do from straight up marketing.  Their merch starts going out way in advance of their films and continues until it reaches a saturation point at the opening of the movie.  They're taking advantage of a really standard marketing technique, which is the more you see something, the more likely you are to pick it up (or in this case, go see it). Movie Advertising companies push this marketing tactic all the time and it really does work on a lot of people.

Illumination just makes sure that once you see their movie, it's good enough that you don't mind that you'd had it shoved in your face so blatently for ages.

Money-wise, it's a great tactic, but I would never expect them to try anything particularly new or risky with their work, and considering how much animation I've seen it's hard for me to not find most of their stuff to be kinda rehashing.  However, I acknowledge that most kids won't have seen those movies so it's probably all fresh and new to them.

On a personal level, I find some of their comments about their techniques really arrogant and I'm also suspicious of their low budgets considering wage-fixing and farming out to foreign countries are terrible issues in the animation industry.  Unfortunately that's also an issue that plagues Disney and Dreamworks... but Illumination bragging about their low budgets and lack of rewrites just calls even more attention to the plight of animators in the industry and how undervalued they are.

• Like 2