WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I'm hoping it has good enough legs to get to 60m. Moviegoers just don't seem to care about stop-motion.

Would the general audience even know it was stop motion? If I didn't know Laika and followed their previous movies, I'm not sure I'd notice it in the trailer.

Most people don't know (or really care) how the film was made, I think. They just know if they want to watch the final product or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Kubo:

4.5M

5.6M (+25%)

3.9M (-30%)

14M Weekend

War Dogs:

5M

4.5M (-10%)

3M (-30%)

12.5M Weekend

Ben Hur:

3.3M 

3M (-10%)

2M (-30%)

8.3M Weekend

That would be not good for War Dogs considering the budget.

7 minutes ago, DAR said:

I wonder if some audiences think it's just another CGI film. 

I guess, it looks obvious to me that's not the same animation as CGI. The first trailer did try to play up the laughs a bit though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Would the general audience even know it was stop motion? If I didn't know Laika and followed their previous movies, I'm not sure I'd notice it in the trailer.

Most people don't know (or really care) how the film was made, I think. They just know if they want to watch the final product or not.

Maybe not. I just assumed that the animation style of stop-motion tends to be off-putting to most audiences, because most stop-motion films don't tend to do well, unfortunately. It could all be a coincidence though.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, I really thought Kubo could do a bit better than that. I mean how it can have a worse OD than Boxtrolls with a far more aggressive and mainstream looking marketing push and such striking visuals is beyond me. Hopefully goes up more to 5 at least.

4.5 is basically the standard for Laika. 5 would be awesome for Kubo, and honestly I doubt it's outside the realm of possibility.

45 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Dory will definitely do better than TJB worldwide,  there's still quite some money coming in from both Japan and UK, it still has yet to open in Germany, Italy and Scandinavian countries (Norway, Finland Denmark and Sweden). It seems that TJB will definitely having higher OS through, but that's primarily due to how well TJB did in China, Pixars films are definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to China.

Had no idea Dory had that many more markets left! Glad for it; still 2016's best movie ;)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lol yeah I remember that now.

That was the PERFECT role for Kevin Hart btw. Just his delivery of his lines had me laughing.

Hart had some summer with CI and SLOP.

Stage seems somewhat set for Don't Breathe to somewhat break out next weekend. 15M+ possible. 

Or maybe 1 or 2 of september's releases to massively break out. I'm still thinking Mag 7 does "only" 50/150. But Deepwater could break out to 100M, I feel like Sully just isn't gaining enough attention to make it past 80M. Even Snowden I think has 50M potential.

Also, holy crap at those Blair Witch reviews!!! I had no idea!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blair_witch

I thought Kubo had maybe the best American animation of anything since the opening half of WALL-E. And, maybe the best narrative through line with the most provocative message of any Laika production yet. But, fuck, man - and, I hate complaining about this because it feels petty - patches of the dialogue were clunky as hell. Wish they'd hired a someone more gifted with words to clean that up. I'm kind of shocked that they didn't. Otherwise, yeah, pretty great. I mean, again, the animation here is just, well, mesmerizing. The best stop motion animation I've seen and by a wide, wide margin too. I'd put it alongside Coraline for Laika... That's still my favorite of theirs. Gotta admit that I like Boxtrolls a lot. I think more than most. The gross oddities crack me up and the bizarre machines and inventions gave me a smile.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Stage seems somewhat set for Don't Breathe to somewhat break out next weekend. 15M+ possible. 

Or maybe 1 or 2 of september's releases to massively break out. I'm still thinking Mag 7 does "only" 50/150. But Deepwater could break out to 100M, I feel like Sully just isn't gaining enough attention to make it past 80M. Even Snowden I think has 50M potential.

Also, holy crap at those Blair Witch reviews!!! I had no idea!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blair_witch

Blair Witch is going to be so awesome.

• Like 1