Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

9 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

but so was the first movie.

The first movie at least had some fun moments. And the special weren't horrendous for a 90s film. 

The 2nd film took first film ate its insides out and then dumped on it. The drop in quality from yeah ok a first film which wasn't a great film but ok at least, was massive. I've seen annihilation once to the end and that is 1 too many times. The first film I still revisit from time to time (given I like the music - love that orbital song playing near the end when Shang sung is defeated. )

Annihilation did not make the cut.  But I can agree from a bad film perspective (being the best video game adaptation up to that point does not count) Unless you are a fan of the series both films are pretty awful outside of course of the famous song.  I mean they're not even JCVD decent at the time.  And they are both better than Street fighter at least.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for the delay people. There is a lot going on. And I'm happy to say the least I was a block away from the bomb in NYC yesterday.  I'm also moving, and signed a contract with HBO.  It's a bad week, but I will pick it up.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Thegun said:

I'm sorry for the delay people. There is a lot going on. And I'm happy to say the least I was a block away from the bomb in NYC yesterday.  I'm also moving, and signed a contract with HBO.  It's a bad week, but I will pick it up.

What a time. The good, the bad and the ugly. Congrats on your new contract and most of all, glad you are safe. Now finish this list before you're off to better things.

Edited by ecstasy
  • Like 1

I'm actually going to have some solid free time doing this one.  It's an odd choice I made. Kind of a step up and step down at the same time. Pay is great, they basically begged me for the job, and I'm going to learn a lot of new and old equipment.  But it's in no way a creative atmosphere, which has been my entire career up until this point.  But it's the newest big thing that studios are doing.  Digitizing all film formats from the last 50 years. I'm going learn splicing, as well as capturing 8 other forms of film.   Which is kind of crazy, as even working in news I thought I had a good idea of the different tape formats.  But apparently I l'll get to learn even how to use the unpopular forms of VHS and failed formats that no one knows about.  

So that's me.  I am basically a glorified archivist.  But thankfully I also have 15 games set up for Fox Sports and the new spot said anytime I need a day for a shoot, I can do it.  I get to keep my production company and test something out for 6 months.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Thegun said:

I'm actually going to have some solid free time doing this one.  It's an odd choice I made. Kind of a step up and step down at the same time. Pay is great, they basically begged me for the job, and I'm going to learn a lot of new and old equipment.  But it's in no way a creative atmosphere, which has been my entire career up until this point.  But it's the newest big thing that studios are doing.  Digitizing all film formats from the last 50 years. I'm going learn splicing, as well as capturing 8 other forms of film.   Which is kind of crazy, as even working in news I thought I had a good idea of the different tape formats.  But apparently I l'll get to learn even how to use the unpopular forms of VHS and failed formats that no one knows about.  

So that's me.  I am basically a glorified archivist.  But thankfully I also have 15 games set up for Fox Sports and the new spot said anytime I need a day for a shoot, I can do it.  I get to keep my production company and test something out for 6 months.

Wow. That sounds like a great gig. Preserving film posterity. Sounds tedious somewhat but if you enjoy that sort of thing it can be quite exhilarating as well as educational. It's always great to learn something new. Good luck.

Are direct-to-video sequels eligible for this list? Those are so so so much worse than theatrical sequels. If I made this list American Psycho 2 and the Starship Troopers sequels would be at the top...also Cruel Intentions 2 but that's a prequel.

There's some other sequels I'm surprised aren't on here (at least yet), like Legally Blonde 2, My Girl 2, and the Scary Movie sequels. Those definitely suck way more than Attack of the Clones and Dead Man's Chest.

On October 21, 2016 at 8:48 PM, department store basement said:

Are direct-to-video sequels eligible for this list? Those are so so so much worse than theatrical sequels. If I made this list American Psycho 2 and the Starship Troopers sequels would be at the top...also Cruel Intentions 2 but that's a prequel.

There's some other sequels I'm surprised aren't on here (at least yet), like Legally Blonde 2, My Girl 2, and the Scary Movie sequels. Those definitely suck way more than Attack of the Clones and Dead Man's Chest.

See the first post for my criteria.  This is about drop in quality from the prior film. Legally Blonde 2 I can easily say is not on the list.  (The first is not a film that I would especially call good, I can't forgive it for blatantly ripping off My Cousin Vinny.)

Sorry for yet another delay.  My hope was to continue this at work, but youtube is banned, so I can't post the video clips I want.  I'm working 18 hours today.  But thankfully tomorrow night I actually will have 4-5 hours to myself, so it is my mission to make this a priority.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:16 AM, Thegun said:

See the first post for my criteria.  This is about drop in quality from the prior film. Legally Blonde 2 I can easily say is not on the list.  (The first is not a film that I would especially call good, I can't forgive it for blatantly ripping off My Cousin Vinny.)

Hmm...so you're only including sequels to movies you consider good?

On a more personal note: I subscribe to a streaming service called Fullscreen and they have a section called "Gotta Watch 'Em All" dedicated to franchises. If I made this list it would be filled with movies from there because the sequels there are all absolute crap except Bridget Jones 2 and Kill Bill 2 (and maybe Addams Family Values but I haven't watched that). It includes Legally Blonde 2, Scary Movies 2 and 3, and Resident Evil: Apocalypse (all of which are gigantic drops from the originals in quality) along with a bunch of direct-to-video sequels that are among the worst movies I've ever seen.

Hey guys.  Sorry I was a ghost, during the last few months I got blind sided by a huge amount of websites that I wasn't allowed to login to for legal reasons with my work, but that has finally been lifted temporarily. (can't talk about anything so sorry about that, but trust me I was pissed, and have been able to at least enjoy some of your posts from time to time, I don't even want to get into why I could use KJ on a limited basis but not this one.)

But I am finishing this.  One quick note: There is a quick late addition to the list, meaning there are 3 films, but only 2 spots left for it.  But this new film I think deserves special mention, and at some point will continue to increase hatred for people.  So, all the numbers before this one. Add 1.

• Like 1

And if no one cares anymore, no hard feelings.  You just don't know what it's been like staring at my hand written list every day for like 5+ months.  It's therapeutic for me now.

• Like 1

Actually now that I'm really looking at it. I'm gonna keep the list as is.  But I will have a quick top 5 honorable mentions, don't want to ruin the quick pace we've already had.  ;)

• Like 1