Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

On 8/31/2016 at 2:07 AM, Thegun said:

29. Mission Impossible II (2000)

Forget everything that came before.  The first Mission Impossible is a brilliantly directed film by Brian DePalma.  You can take your Phantom Menaces, Reloadeds, even Crystal Skulls, but this is just such a shockingly awkward film, and a huge letdown  Fortunately they took a different approach more towards the show with the next three films.  I swear watch this movie again, and 70% of this movie is awful slow motion with people staring at other people.  This film is trying desperately to turn it into a Bond film, and quite frankly it gives Die Another Day a run for it's money for how absurd it is.  The whole film is an awkward love story that is completely ignored later, and Tom Cruise is his most unconvincing in quite some time.  The action by John Woo just does not work with this film. This is easily the least impossible missions to boot.  They need to copy a camera card, fake a dream, and thats it.  Then there is a 10 minute action finale.  Luckily the first was a highly regarded that this unfortunately joins many horrible sequels that did much better.  The series was able to reevaluate and while Rogue Nation is just a best hits kind of film, this film is strongly forgotten for the better.

On 8/31/2016 at 2:37 AM, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

@MrPink, that's your Batsignal.

BURnbRG.gif

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

On 8/27/2016 at 3:31 PM, Thegun said:

41. Pirate's of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Granted, At World's End and Stranger Tides are equally unimpressive films but they were following this Thanksgiving Turkey: A true disaster that even watching the fun original almost gets ruined.  On a personal note, this would have been much higher for me.  I absolutely hated this film when it came out, and even worst was being on the forums listening to people praise it, its opening weekend record, and better than expected legs, thanks to such a weak summer.  Thankfully as a decade has passed more and more people coming back to the right side. It's overblown, overstuffed, and horribly concluded, by nothing more than a weak cliffhanger, and emotions never earned.  Orlando Bloom and Knightley are not the Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia we thought they could be in future films.  Even Depp is poorly used in this film and the trend would unfortunately continue on.  Stupid villains, save Davey Jones, who unfortunately wouldn't completely wasted until the third film.  Even still none as interesting or fun as Rush in the film first.  He ironically is probably the best part of the film (with a single line trying to trick you into the next film) but his twist of character motivations too prove that much worse is still to come.  The first film is the one that broke the tradition: A good pirate film, and even more so it's based on a ride at Disney World.  It should have never worked.  Unfortunately the sequels corrected it, none ever coming close to the Curse of the Black Pearl living comfortably in mediocrity. 

Making my way through the list, but just wanna let you know I really appreciate this being here. DMC is dreadful. COTBP is so much fun and DMC is just so dry and boring. At World's End is notably better than DMC although it's still not as great COTBP

• Like 4

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, Thegun said:

24. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

That's right, the anti-gay Freddy Krueger movie.  Some of the effects work is very impressive and Englund might be at his very best.  There are almost no wisecracks in the movie.  But you can't get over how hilariously bad this is throughout.  From Naked Gym teacher spankings to a guy get trampled to death by teenagers running from Freddy.  Birds spontaneously combust.  The film is just too different from the rest of the series with Freddy more in the vain of Jason or Michael killing in the real world and not torturing people in their dreams. I mean that's what this series is supposed to be about.  There is some brutality in the violence thanks to the rise in budget, but it's simply not as exciting or terrifying (Though the transformation scene is awesome.)  I mean you have one of the most brilliant concepts for a horror monster, and can do anything in the dream world, and decide to settle on stupid real world film, where they have to have a boy possessed by Freddy.  It's just a slap in the face to the original.  And unlike other franchises, there is usually decent acting in a Freddy film.  Not here outside of Englund. His character deserves more than run of the mill knock off of other horror franchises.  At least knock off your own. And while I won't go into detail on homosexual undertones (Holy shit it's absurd, I mean it's like they gave the usual female lead of these films to a guy, and just didn't change the script, and told him to act female) it's almost like finding the beauty in a disaster. Thankfully they brought Craven back, and while this might not be my least favorite of the series (5 and 6 are both pretty bad too) you can't stop but just say "Why?" throughout the film.  

Best Scene: Jesse turns into Freddy. Great special effects sequence.

Gonna be weird but of all the films on this list, this is now the one I want to check out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blankments said:

Making my way through the list, but just wanna let you know I really appreciate this being here. DMC is dreadful. COTBP is so much fun and DMC is just so dry and boring. At World's End is notably better than DMC although it's still not as great COTBP

What is this I can't even

• Like 3

Revenge of the Fallen had one thing going for it. It was one of the first post-TDK films to utilize a fair amount of IMAX footage.

Of course, while watching the film, it became pretty clear that Bay didn't have a clear idea what would be the best places to use said footage. For instance, during the climactic battle around the pyramids, you'd think there'd be some extended sequence utilizing the full glory of the IMAX screen, right? Well, no. There's a lone shot of a few jets getting ready to launch from an aircraft carrier. And generally speaking, the shift in aspect ratios between shots happened haphazardly and without rhyme or reason.

However! However, there was one bit that turned out to be brilliant in this, although I'm sure it was unintentional.

Midway through the film, Optimus is alone and facing off against the army of Decepticons. The Autobots are racing to try and get to him. So you've got action shots of Optimus fighting in full IMAX glory (IIRC in several shots he's on screen in "actual size") while the Chevy Brand Autobots are full throttling their way through standard aspect ratio. The scene cuts between the two, IMAX, normal, IMAX, normal. Fight, race, fight race.

And... it turns out that this works. The fighting shots are given the full room to give oomph, and by switching to the narrower ratio for the speeding cars, it makes them feel faster and increases the tension of "will they or won't they get there in time?"

If only Bay had been able to turn the other 2 hours and 15 minutes of the film into something that worked half as well, it might have been okay overall. But, alas, he didn't.

• Like 2

I used to hate Freddy's Revenge, now I find it slightly enjoyable. It's weird and it's the last time (until New Nightmare) that Freddy is scary.

Revenge of the Fallen is mind-numbingly boring. Hard to believe there are those who can sit through 2.5 hours of that crap and have good time.

And I'm fine with either Matrix sequel being on here.  I'd probably say Reloaded is better than Revolutions.  But neither make sense to me.  And tbh I don't think the Wachowski's have made a good film since the Matrix

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

Agree with u 100000%

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Stingray said:

I used to hate Freddy's Revenge, now I find it slightly enjoyable. It's weird and it's the last time (until New Nightmare) that Freddy is scary.

Revenge of the Fallen is mind-numbingly boring. Hard to believe there are those who can sit through 2.5 hours of that crap and have good time.

Hard to believe anyone could find anything slightly redeemable about the horrible Nightmare 2. 

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Hard to believe anyone could find anything slightly redeemable about the horrible Nightmare 2. 

It's distinguishable from the rest, there are psychological undertones, Freddy isn't a clown, and "You are all my children now" is one of the best lines from the entire series, etc.

Edited by The Stingray

Matrix Reloaded has to be on here somewhere.

That's easily the worst sequel of all time, in my opinion.

Mind you, Reloaded was so god damn awful, that I didn't ever watch Revolutions, so that could be worse.

Edited by Krissykins

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Mind you, Reloaded was so god damn awful, that I didn't ever watch Revolutions, so that could be worse.

It was already on a bit ago

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That's a boggling statement considering that you're a huge horror fan. I mean, pick any random horror sequel and there's a good chance it's worse than Matrix Reloaded. :)