Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

19. The Hangover Part III (2013)

I think the screen grab of the trailer says it all. No one is happy to be in this film. The 2nd film was pretty much a remake and not as funny as the first.  Had it been the first film, probably it would have been comedy people felt a lot better about.  But pretty much every comedy sequel is guilty of the same exact thing, and even though Hangover redux takes that to the max, it still has some solid laughs sprinkled around.  Then came the third film, where they decided so many people were unhappy with the remake, and needed to change the formula.  And Holy Shit they did, with that approach we're left with a botchy dramedy really relying on wanting to see this cast come around one more time. We have a poor drama, and even poorer comedy. And the cast has obviously moved on at this point. The plot is atrocious.  And the jokes almost all fall flat. I mean it's a weird film is when the best joke is suffocating a chicken. Ken Jeong's Chow becoming the central plot is just such an awful decision. Even the scenes of the characters together, everything is just off. John Goodman is wasted as is the rest of the cast who decided to come on what is basically the continued journey into Alan (A Journey no one wants to see.) He was lovable in the first, here is just an awful human being, and just not fun to watch. This a paycheck job from start to finish, with a comedy trio with nothing else to offer.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 8

On 8/25/2016 at 4:22 PM, Thegun said:

That's all right, that means absolutely nothing to me. I'm guessing soccer?

And I'm sorry, but the film loses any realism the second not one but two successful handsome guys are head over heels in love with Maggie Gylennhaal. That chick is about as sexy as week old milk.

Misogyny, ladies and gentlemen. 

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Misogyny, ladies and gentlemen. 

Unintelligence, ladies and gentlemen.  Misogyny is against women, and whether they have worth, which I know they do. It has nothing to do with finding a certain woman unattractive. And to be honest I don't have a problem with her.  I'm just saying I don't buy Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent fighting over her. Certainly not the reason for becoming two face.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 2

18. Speed II Cruise Control (1997)

Of the top of your head, and pretty much anything else you can think of, this is still one of the most absurd sequels ever made.  It is a major fall from the first film, but I still almost give it a pass for two reasons.  Keanu said no.  I mean, holy shit if Keanu says no you know you are in a shitstorm. It actually would have benefited greatly from him appearing.  You just don't care right off the bat.  Secondly they took a small 30 million thriller and greenlit a sequel costing 120 million. Twister and the original gave DeBont so much there like, he can do it. There is a lot of cool things actually, none of them involving people. Except of course William Defoe.  This is quite possibly the most brilliant awful acting ever.  The guy puts leaches on him for healing, uses golf balls for bombs, and Defoe's hair itself deserves applause. This an awful plot.  He is going to kill a thousand people so he can steal diamonds (Even though he will be dead soon anyway???) Sandra Bullock took her paycheck and quietly moved through this film, because quite frankly she's hardly a main character despite being one of the things you loved most about the first film. What a slap to her face, which of course Defoe does many times in the film. You are left with Jason Patric who tries, and I'd even say out acts Reeves, but he is only there in enthusiasm to be in a big movie.  There is nothing worse than to look at your hero and just no everything was written for someone else.  The effects are big and still hold up.  The ship into an island ending is two parts ridiculous, 3 parts ridiculous (I mean if they could turn the boat manually to not hit an oil tanker, why wouldn't they just turn again, oh that's right we need a big finish.) This is a stupid film that had it not been called speed II, may have been a B movie masterpiece.  But as a sequel to Speed, where your film and vehicle moves at a snails pace, you are screwed.  Maybe they should have called it Stalled.  More and more people I hear from are hate this film just from the title alone. And Cruise Control might be the worst secondary title of all time. 

• Like 9

17. Beverly Hills Cop III (1994)

This one is the definition of a child killer for me. This cost 3 times as much as the 2nd, which to this day is the only R rated film to ever have the opening weekend record of all time and we get a film that looks so cheaply made?  John Landis who can clearly direct comedy can distinctly not direct action. He was a poor fit for this especially after Tony Scott gave us a really fun look at the direction and action. Eddie Murphy is so lazy in this film you realize why people noticed and stopped showing up. This is the reason he moved on to family comedies.  Just in case you are wondering. The first film was about smuggling drugs, the second was about serial robbers.  This one is about a Theme park making counterfeit money, and for whatever reason they come to Detroit, causing Axel Foley once again to come to Beverly Hills.  Sorely missing is Ronny Cox and John Ashton mediocrely filled by Hector Elizondo.  It's not funny, it has awful action scenes. They fucked up the iconic score.  Most importantly you don't want to see Eddie Murphy in depression in a Beverly Hills Cop film.  Maybe yes if it was in the script, but I'm saying it's depressed Eddie Murphy, not Axel Foley. This is as stated before, the less said about this one, the better.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thegun said:

Unintelligence, ladies and gentlemen.  Misogyny is against women, and whether they have worth, which I know they do. It has nothing to do with finding a certain woman unattractive. And to be honest I don't have a problem with her.  I'm just saying I don't buy Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent fighting over her. Certainly not the reason for becoming two face.

I'll meet you halfway. Being unable to fathom why two men would both want to be with a woman you find unattractive may not be misogynist, but it's most definitely stupid. At least in the context we're speaking of wherein you hold it against the movie. 

Also, they never actually "fight over her." And even if they did, that's not why he becomes Two Face. He loves her and he loses her to a maniac whom he tried to battle through the law.

Regardless, judging an actress/character solely on their looks is shallow, if not outright misogynist. 

Edited by tonytr87

19 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'll meet you halfway. Being unable to fathom why two men would both want to be with a woman you find unattractive may not be misogynist, but it's most definitely stupid. At least in the context we're speaking of wherein you hold it against the movie. 

Also, they never actually "fight over her." And even if they did, that's not why he becomes Two Face. He loves her and he loses her to a maniac whom he tried to battle through the law.

Regardless, judging an actress/character solely on their looks is shallow, if not outright misogynist. 

Again, you spread a word you don't get.  And nothing you said is true. I think she is fine. I just don't buy the plot line. 

8 hours ago, Thegun said:

Of the top of your head, and pretty much anything else you can think of, this is still one of the most absurd sequels ever made.  It is a major fall from the first film, but I still almost give it a pass for two reasons.  Keanu said no.  I mean, holy shit if Keanu says no you know you are in a shitstorm. It actually would have benefited greatly from him appearing.  You just don't care right off the bat.  Secondly they took a small 30 million thriller and greenlit a sequel costing 120 million. Twister and the original gave DeBont so much there like, he can do it. There is a lot of cool things actually, none of them involving people. Except of course William Defoe.  This is quite possibly the most brilliant awful acting ever.  The guy puts leaches on him for healing, uses golf balls for bombs, and Defoe's hair itself deserves applause. This an awful plot.  He is going to kill a thousand people so he can steal diamonds (Even though he will be dead soon anyway???) Sandra Bullock took her paycheck and quietly moved through this film, because quite frankly she's hardly a main character despite being one of the things you loved most about the first film. What a slap to her face, which of course Defoe does many times in the film. You are left with Jason Patric who tries, and I'd even say out acts Reeves, but he is only there in enthusiasm to be in a big movie.  There is nothing worse than to look at your hero and just no everything was written for someone else.  The effects are big and still hold up.  The ship into an island ending is two parts ridiculous, 3 parts ridiculous (I mean if they could turn the boat manually to not hit an oil tanker, why wouldn't they just turn again, oh that's right we need a big finish.) This is a stupid film that had it not been called speed II, may have been a B movie masterpiece.  But as a sequel to Speed, where your film and vehicle moves at a snails pace, you are screwed.  Maybe they should have called it Stalled.  More and more people I hear from are hate this film just from the title alone. And Cruise Control might be the worst secondary title of all time. 

This... EXISTS?!

:ohmygod:

TIL

Sounds terrible. :ph34r: 

8 hours ago, Thegun said:

:rofl:

Edited by TalismanRing

What's that joke about Speed 2?

When it came time to make Under Siege 2, they didn't have a script, so they took the Speed 2 script and filed off the serial numbers. But then they wanted to make Speed 2, so they took the Die Hard 3 script and switched it up. But then they wanted to make Die Hard 3, so they took the Lethal Weapon 4 script and very slightly altered the characters.

Then they made Lethal Weapon 4 and said, "fuck it, who needs a script?"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

What's that joke about Speed 2?

When it came time to make Under Siege 2, they didn't have a script, so they took the Speed 2 script and filed off the serial numbers. But then they wanted to make Speed 2, so they took the Die Hard 3 script and switched it up. But then they wanted to make Die Hard 3, so they took the Lethal Weapon 4 script and very slightly altered the characters.

Then they made Lethal Weapon 4 and said, "fuck it, who needs a script?"

That joke makes no sense since Die Hard 3 came out before both Under Siege 2 and Speed 2.

• Like 3