Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

16. Predator 2 (1990)

Predator is one of the greatest action films of all time.  So it was natural that they would want to get a sequel going.  But they had one major hiccup.  Original Star Arnold Schwarzenegger thought the idea of leaving the jungle was a terrible idea, so he asked for enough money for them to say no.  They rewrote his character in the way of Gary Busy, and expanded the role that went to new lead Danny Glover.  This movie is awful from its very first shot, revealing how crazy Los Angeles would be by 1997. Danny Glover is a solid actor, but his character is just so poorly written.  Scratch that, every character in the film is poorly written. I never thought I would ever see a film where I hated how annoying Bill Paxton is.  Well this is that movie. Busey is completely wasted, stuck in the "we can advance our weapons" old ploy. Now let's talk about the Predator himself.  He's as violent as ever with plenty of new toys, just none of it is as exciting as the first.  The Predator is suppose to kill for sport. Here he is basically a member of the LAPD, as all he does is attack gangs, and hang out in slaughter houses. He'll even catch a subway once in a while (LOL, that is such a stupid scene) Then we have an epic showdown between Glover and the Predator and it's a letdown to say the least.  You know you're in trouble when two better films are teased within the last 5 minutes (AVP, as we would learn even later would be even worse, and that a Predator came to revolutionary times)  An absolute mess that insults everything that was great about the first.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Thegun said:

16. Predator 2 (1990)

Predator is one of the greatest action films of all time.  So it was natural that they would want to get a sequel going.  But they had one major hiccup.  Original Star Arnold Schwarzenegger thought the idea of leaving the jungle was a terrible idea, so he asked for enough money for them to say no.  They rewrote his character in the way of Gary Busy, and expanded the role that went to new lead Danny Glover.  This movie is awful from its very first shot, revealing how crazy Los Angeles would be by 1997. Danny Glover is a solid actor, but his character is just so poorly written.  Scratch that, every character in the film is poorly written. I never thought I would ever see a film where I hated how annoying Bill Paxton is.  Well this is that movie. Busey is completely wasted, stuck in the "we can advance our weapons" old ploy. Now let's talk about the Predator himself.  He's as violent as ever with plenty of new toys, just none of it is as exciting as the first.  The Predator is suppose to kill for sport. Here he is basically a member of the LAPD, as all he does is attack gangs, and hang out in slaughter houses. He'll even catch a subway once in a while (LOL, that is such a stupid scene) Then we have an epic showdown between Glover and the Predator and it's a letdown to say the least.  You know you're in trouble when two better films are teased within the last 5 minutes (AVP, as we would learn even later would be even worse, and that a Predator came to revolutionary times)  An absolute mess that insults everything that was great about the first.

Aha!

I was wondering where you were gonna put this little ditty.

I knew it was coming. Just didn't know where.

What a crap follow up to a classic. 

I have no words for how GREAT Predator 1 is.  Picking in em off Agatha Christie style. Who's next?  Loved it.

But Predator 2 was a joke.

But I will still put Speed 2 ahead of it on the shitty sequel list.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Actually I think Speed 2 was indeed originally a Die Hard sequel proposed script that was rewritten 

First version of the screenplay for Die Hard with a Vengeance was based on a spec script called "Troubleshooter", which involved terrorists seizing control of a Caribbean cruise ship while John and Holly are on a honeymoon cruise. The idea was abandoned after Under Siege went into production. This script later became Speed 2: Cruise Control.

• Like 2

On September 10, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Thegun said:

18. Speed II Cruise Control (1997)

Of the top of your head, and pretty much anything else you can think of, this is still one of the most absurd sequels ever made.  It is a major fall from the first film, but I still almost give it a pass for two reasons.  Keanu said no.  I mean, holy shit if Keanu says no you know you are in a shitstorm. It actually would have benefited greatly from him appearing.  You just don't care right off the bat.  Secondly they took a small 30 million thriller and greenlit a sequel costing 120 million. Twister and the original gave DeBont so much there like, he can do it. There is a lot of cool things actually, none of them involving people. Except of course William Defoe.  This is quite possibly the most brilliant awful acting ever.  The guy puts leaches on him for healing, uses golf balls for bombs, and Defoe's hair itself deserves applause. This an awful plot.  He is going to kill a thousand people so he can steal diamonds (Even though he will be dead soon anyway???) Sandra Bullock took her paycheck and quietly moved through this film, because quite frankly she's hardly a main character despite being one of the things you loved most about the first film. What a slap to her face, which of course Defoe does many times in the film. You are left with Jason Patric who tries, and I'd even say out acts Reeves, but he is only there in enthusiasm to be in a big movie.  There is nothing worse than to look at your hero and just no everything was written for someone else.  The effects are big and still hold up.  The ship into an island ending is two parts ridiculous, 3 parts ridiculous (I mean if they could turn the boat manually to not hit an oil tanker, why wouldn't they just turn again, oh that's right we need a big finish.) This is a stupid film that had it not been called speed II, may have been a B movie masterpiece.  But as a sequel to Speed, where your film and vehicle moves at a snails pace, you are screwed.  Maybe they should have called it Stalled.  More and more people I hear from are hate this film just from the title alone. And Cruise Control might be the worst secondary title of all time. 

According to BOM the budget is actually 160m which would make it the second most expensive film at the time after Titanic. Lolz

Actually Die hard With A Vengeance was developed from a script called Simon Says.  Both Die Hard and Lethal Weapon producers tried to make the film, and do basic rewrites to fix the franchise.  But then Gibson got booked solid until 1997. So Die Hard took advantage, and added the Gruber elements.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thegun said:

Actually Die hard With A Vengeance was developed from a script called Simon Says.  Both Die Hard and Lethal Weapon producers tried to make the film, and do basic rewrites to fix the franchise.  But then Gibson got booked solid until 1997. So Die Hard took advantage, and added the Gruber elements.

So like musical chairs Lethal Weapon 4  was left standing without a script and that's how it remained. :lol:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

15. The Odd Couple II (1998)

This might seem like an odd choice to a lot of people.  But the original Odd Couple is one of the most classic and influential comedies ever made (It even has a 100% rating on RT.)  Just think of all the tv sitcoms and films that have imitated the concept over the 30 years between sequels (Which coincidently was the longest wait between sequels where the cast and creative team returned until last year's The Force Awakens) It seemed like a nice idea to bring back both leads who were experiencing a renaissance with their comedic duo, not to mention box-office appeal from newer generations.  Not only that they got original writer Neil Simon to come back and write the film as well.  Sadly this is not only a pale imitation of what has come before, the whole premise is completely stale at this point. The plot doesn't even try to do anything, it is simply relying on the already exhausted previous 4 films that came before (I include My Fellow Americans because Matthau was suppose to star, but was bed written sick and recast.) Matthau and Lemmon are still seasoned veterans that can crack a smile just for being together on screen, but they clearly are even losing a step from their earlier superior 90s films (Both would unfortunately pass in within the next 3 years.)  And let's face it, films like Grumpy old Men already could be considered quasi sequels to the odd couple, and in many ways sharper and inventive.  Simon's writing has also noticeably aged.  His worst mistake is playing it safe with gags that are decades old.  It's just sad watching the second to last films for both actors go out on such a whimper.  This coming from a guy who even enjoyed Out to Sea.  This is not their swan song, unfortunately it's more a take a horse out to pasture film.  Such an unsatisfying end to not only one of the best comedic duos of all time, but to one of the greatest comedies of all time. This is the equivalent of your grandparents telling the same story over and over, but this time, they have a lot of trouble telling it.

Best Scene:  I'll always enjoy Matthau and Lemmon bicker.  So even if it was the last time.  It was nice to see.  I have a soft spot just for that.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Thegun said:

15. The Odd Couple II (1998)

This might seem like an odd choice to a lot of people.  But the original Odd Couple is one of the most classic and influential comedies ever made (It even has a 100% rating on RT.)  Just think of all the tv sitcoms and films that have imitated the concept over the 30 years between sequels (Which coincidently was the longest wait between sequels where the cast and creative team returned until last year's The Force Awakens) It seemed like a nice idea to bring back both leads who were experiencing a renaissance with their comedic duo, not to mention box-office appeal from newer generations.  Not only that they got original writer Neil Simon to come back and write the film as well.  Sadly this is not only a pale imitation of what has come before, the whole premise is completely stale at this point. The plot doesn't even try to do anything, it is simply relying on the already exhausted previous 4 films that came before (I include My Fellow Americans because Matthau was suppose to star, but was bed written sick and recast.) Matthau and Lemmon are still seasoned veterans that can crack a smile just for being together on screen, but they clearly are even losing a step from their earlier superior 90s films (Both would unfortunately pass in within the next 3 years.)  And let's face it, films like Grumpy old Men already could be considered quasi sequels to the odd couple, and in many ways sharper and inventive.  Simon's writing has also noticeably aged.  His worst mistake is playing it safe with gags that are decades old.  It's just sad watching the second to last films for both actors go out on such a whimper.  This coming from a guy who even enjoyed Out to Sea.  This is not their swan song, unfortunately it's more a take a horse out to pasture film.  Such an unsatisfying end to not only one of the best comedic duos of all time, but to one of the greatest comedies of all time. This is the equivalent of your grandparents telling the same story over and over, but this time, they have a lot of trouble telling it.

Best Scene:  I'll always enjoy Matthau and Lemmon bicker.  So even if it was the last time.  It was nice to see.  I have a soft spot just for that.

Who knew?

I loved Grumpy Old Men. Saw Grumpier which I loved, My Fellow Americans and Out to Sea which I liked both in theaters, and even saw this in theaters.  I was 11, and it really put me onto their earlier careers.  I even thought this was ok, but I can't deny how far it fell, not just even a film like Out to Sea, but how brilliant the Odd Couple was.

• Like 1