grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

Honestly,its probably because it is such a tumultuous time for the country with kids getting settled into school,parents and students spending money hand over fist for all the associated costs and priorities basically being completely focused elsewhere.

In a few weeks when everyone has repadded their bank accounts or started dating their fellow students weekends will mean something again.

This is the dead zone for a very logical reason. Even if you don't have kids in school or need to go back to teaching etc, the studios aren't going to risk dropping big budget films when most of the population is at the football stadiums on Friday and Saturday nights. 

Edited by GuardianDevil
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

For it to have 100m more right now would require much better legs than DEADPOOL.

320 dom will give SS 2.4x

DP 2.74x

SS 2.4x

APOC 2.36x

CW 2.28x

BVS 1.99x

That's not sad at all.

Well yeah, what I said was hyperbolic in a sense. But think about it: if WOM had been as steady as it seems to be right now, the movie would've done WAY more on opening weekend alone - 150M+ at least. And w/Deadpool drops (or lesser, given how, competition for its audience, outside of Sausage Party I guess, has been non-existent), it would find itself in a range of right about 350M right now, O/U that.

Honestly...Assassin's Creed will do well, if it's good.  That's one of the major reasons Warcraft didn't do as well as it could've.  Poor reviews made WoM unusually weak.  I could've seen it having Pacific Rim or Edge of Tomorrow legs had it been a quality movie.

There definitely is hope AC will be good.  Kurzel is definitely a great director.  There are also some drawbacks too.  Despite the fact that one of the writers helped out with Kurzel on the screenplay for MacBeth, Bill Collage and Adam Cooper are the same people that wrote Allegiant, Exodus, Transporter Refueled, and Accepted.  However, it's not impossible for them to churn out a good screenplay.  Don't bet against it yet.  Wait for reviews/hype.

16 minutes ago, ThatOneMorgan said:

Honestly...Assassin's Creed will do well, if it's good.  That's one of the major reasons Warcraft didn't do as well as it could've.  Poor reviews made WoM unusually weak.  I could've seen it having Pacific Rim or Edge of Tomorrow legs had it been a quality movie.

There definitely is hope AC will be good.  Kurzel is definitely a great director.  There are also some drawbacks too.  Despite the fact that one of the writers helped out with Kurzel on the screenplay for MacBeth, Bill Collage and Adam Cooper are the same people that wrote Allegiant, Exodus, Transporter Refueled, and Accepted.  However, it's not impossible for them to churn out a good screenplay.  Don't bet against it yet.  Wait for reviews/hype.

You have sealed its fate.

In regards to Suicide Squad and the comments that it had big drops in his first couple of weeks. It also opens to a record August by about 50%. So really the film is kind of doing the best that it could do right now. Yes if this film was liked by more people it would have a little bit more for sure. But there's no way that it was going to touch 400 million.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well yeah, what I said was hyperbolic in a sense. But think about it: if WOM had been as steady as it seems to be right now, the movie would've done WAY more on opening weekend alone - 150M+ at least. And w/Deadpool drops (or lesser, given how, competition for its audience, outside of Sausage Party I guess, has been non-existent), it would find itself in a range of right about 350M right now, O/U that.

Why would it have opened to 150 million when it already destroyed the August OW by 50%

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ThatOneMorgan said:

Fucking hell, it's time to bet against it, alright. They wrote Allegiant, Exodus, Transporter Refueled and Accepted. THEY WROTE ALLEGIANT, EXODUS, TRANSPORTER REFUELED AND ACCEPTED. Goddammit, man :sadben:

How long until one of these studios pays Aaron Sorkin all the millions of dollars to write one of these video game movies?

EDIT: @Baumer loves Oogieloves Dude, the movie dropped 40% from Sat-Fri, 11% from Sat-real Friday. If it had gotten a more Guardians like drop (18.1%), it could've done over 150M OW even w/a 30% Sun drop.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

10 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

@MCKillswitch123 why are you just pointing out one element of the movie though? It dropped as much as it did because it opens way bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy did.

Yeah, I know, but would've it dropped AS HARD AS IT DID if it was just sheer frontloadedness, rather than that + meh WOM from audiences (at 1st, not anymore)? No. It surely wouldn't have fallen below 40M on OW Saturday, that's for sure. It didn't even stay flat from real Fri, which is something than Batman V Superman got closer to accomplish in March than SS in August, sheer Summer season. And BVS had a holiday OD, which was only going to increase frontloadedness.

And yes, SS was always going to have fan rush at 1st, but what I mean here is that it wasn't the ONLY reason why it dropped so hard on OW alone. At least from my pov. And no, before anybody accuses me, I ain't no DC or SS hater. I'm not at all spiteful of SS performing well. I'm just pointing out an opinion regarding how bigger its BO could've been under different circumstances.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

If SS was just a great movie, even then with it's 20.5m previews, T-mobile Friday and summer Sunday hold, I would not expect more than 2.7x.

2.7x would give it 360m after a 133.68 ow.

2.4x for 320m is fair legs, and the total is great in context of expectations and budget.

If the movie was widely considered bad it would have done about 2.1x for 280m imo (a bit more than 1.99x of BVS as SS is more of an original movie).

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

GOTG killed the previous August record by 35% as well, didn't seem to have any negative impact on its legs. 

But I'm saying SS had divisive wom. I'm not claiming anything but that. I'm just saying I don't think it had a chance at 400.

Orher than being SH/SV ensembles released in early August, GOTG and SS have very little in common.

GOTG was a WOM blockbuster despite being a property with unknown characters and least recognizable leads (Pratt became a big star because of this movie). What catapulted it was the quality.

SS is an ensemble movie with a couple of well known characters and a lead in Will Smith, who is still a big name worldwide, even though his star is way down from its peak. While the total may look good, its multiplier will be well below average for an original movie in August, a month which truly helps the legs a lot. Further, the marketing cleverly highlighted the most well known villain of all time barring Darth Vader. That was instrumental in getting SS a phenomenonal opening in August. Beyond that it has been ..... well, a little better than BvS. A worthy achievement indeed. :lol::lol::lol:

SS out opened GOTG by 42% and will finish close to $20 mil below GOTG. If approx. 2.35 multiplier can be considered good for an original movie in August, not much can be said about the analysis even accounting for the big opening. 

As some article pointed out that if the only positive for SS is that it has not sucked as hard as BvS, that is way beyond pathetic.

The true impact of GOTG & SS quality will be seen in their respective sequels. 

Edited by jb007