grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

Overall very solid holdovers on the 4-day weekend! Don't Breathe dropped 26% which is very good for a horror film, and should end its run north of $80 million domestic.  Suicide Squad finally passed $300 million this weekend, might take down a dive with IMAX screens this coming weekend with Sully coming out. But that's not a problem for it, a total around $320 million domestic seems right.                                Every other new release on the top 10 besides the new release(Light Between The Oceans), Sausage Party, and Mechanic:Ressurection all saw some nice increases on the 4-day portion. Sausage Party had a solid drop, and should make $100 million. Mechanic dropped 41% which isn't bad for a Statham film, but is still a mediocre performance and should make north of $20 million domestic. The Light Between The Oceans dropped to the the number 8 spot and should make over $10 million domestic. 

• Like 2

SP will at least make it to 97-98. I don't see Sony leaving it there.

All remaining weekends at 50% drop (except dollar bump):

2.6 (-50% from 3-day; -60% from 4-day) + 1.3 + 0.65 + 0.325 + 0.16 + 0.25 (dollar bump; +56%) + 0.125 = 5.4m

All remaining weekdays Tue onwards will bring around 2m.

89.65 + 5.4 + 2 = 97m

I think that is the minimum it will do as it is bound to have at least a couple of decent holds towards the end of the run. 

Even without Sony interfering I don't see below 97-98 really.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

Sausage Party can crawl to 100m if Sony really wants it to. It'll get close either way, what other R-rated comedy is out there? 

I don't think Masterminds is going to make much noise at the end of the month, Zach Galafianackis hasn't proven to be a comedy draw. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Sausage Party can crawl to 100m if Sony really wants it to. It'll get close either way, what other R-rated comedy is out there? 

I don't think Masterminds is going to make much noise at the end of the month, Zach Galafianackis hasn't proven to be a comedy draw. 

It(Masterminds) looks like a PG-13 version of a more sillier Pain & Gain. Zach Galifiankis is popular with Todd Phillips related films. Sausage Party should easily sneak past $100 million, there's a thing called second-run theaters which will be around in early October. It makes around $91-$92 million on the weekly. Does $3-$4 million for the weekend, that's between $94-$97 million domestic. That weekly gets it to $98-$99 million. $100 million should occur on September 18th the earliest. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

great hold for DB , SS crossing the 300 mark on Monday, 320M domestic 700M WW  is locked , Kubo ... it's getting better ... right ... right? :sadben:

What do I say, just read me eyes :

:bourne:

Most likely will fall short of Boxtrolls (51). Thinking 48m.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, ThatOneMorgan said:

A great film doesn't deserve that :sadben: 

I feel :sadben:for stop-motion.

Get Gibson and make Chicken Run 2 DW, it will be cheaper and a better risk than your TURBOs and what not.

Anyway the Fall is off to an alright start. But could the weekend after Labor-Day face the usual quiet September blues? I don't think so quite exactly. Sully should debut between $23-$25 million for the weekend. When The Bough Breaks does $20-$22 million. Holdover Don't Breathe does $8-$10 million. Wild Life does $4-$6 million. Dissapointment's Room debuts like that film Creature(anyone remember that?).