chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

How to Train Your Dragon is a generic ass piece of shit

Not really. You could, maybe, argue that the story itself is a bit generic (which you could say for very many films on this list). But with animation, much (I'd say a lot more than in reallife movies) depends on the actual execution, and that's where HTTYD shines - good character and world design, dynamic animation, good rhythm.

• Like 6

10th - Toy Story 3

385pts - 21 votes, 3 FIRST, 6 top 5, 2 top 10 (2014: 4th: Down 6)

Well I for one, didn't foresee this showing up this early. 

In fact Toy Story 3 was one of the 3 films left on the list never to hit the top spot. Saying that I'm also okay with this slightly lower than I expected finish. It's a great film and the emotional stuff is done to the height of Pixar's heart crushing powers. Still though, I found this film just a little more forced than the previous two and as such it deserves to place very high in my book. But not all time great high. 

A drop of 6 places is quite severe. Especially considering we are at the point where there is only one film left on this list that was not eligible back in 2014. 

• Like 11

9th - Aladdin

385pts - 23 votes, 1 FIRST, 4 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 6th: Down 3)

My personal number 2, as I knew Jungle book had no chance at topping the list, this was my number one pick for the overall win. 

And for a while, it looked like the shock was on. This was the first film to cross 200 points and did so opening up a 30+ point gap over second place. The there was just a run of lists where the film just didn't show up which was odd after the strong open 15 or so votes. 

When we think of films that changed the animation industry, it is easy to think of Snow White or Toy Story and a few others. However Aladdin also played a big role in shaping modern animation. There may have been celebrity voices before Genie, but the casting of Williams was the beginning of the end for voice actors getting leading roles in animation. He changed what I and many people expected from a voice performance and it's still my favourite performance in an animated film to this day.

It's a shame to see it drop 3 places, especially as it looked like it could have toppled the whole mountain at one point.  

• Like 13

8th - Princess Mononoke

395pts - 22 votes, 1 FIRST, 7 top 5, 5 top 10 (2014: 15th: Up 7)

Surprisingly, this film actually led the field on multiple occasions. 

So Princess Mononoke is possibly in my opinion the most epic Ghibli film (of the 6/7 that I have seen). Not necessarily the best (I've already made it clear I am team fireflies in that respect), but the biggest in size and occasion. 

It is also clear that the film has a strong pool of massive fans as its haul of 13 top 10 votes is better only by one other film and equaled by another. Fun fact: The most top 10 votes for a single Pixar film was 11. 

Mononoke is for me, my clear and absolute 4th favourite Ghibli film. There are three that I have seen that rank somewhere between a fair bit better and a lot better and the other three that I have seen are all well below this in quality standard subjectively speaking. I am not shocked to see it place so high though. As already said, it is pretty epic, beautifully drawn and arguably would be the best candidate from the Ghibli back catalogue to attempt a live-action remake of (if you got the right people to make it yadda yadda ya and such).

• Like 15

7th - Toy Story

405pts - 25 votes, 6 top 5, 4 top 10 (2014: 9th: Up 2)

The highest ranking film not to receive a first place vote. Also am I the only person surprised to see zero Toy Story representation in the top 5?

The original and [officially] best Toy Story film, this was the film that showed everyone right out of the gate that 3D animation was the future and not just a gimmick. Pixar got everything right with this film, they picked a great story, had great characters and the the voice acting couldn't be more perfect. Tom Hanks as Woody is so perfect that you forget it is Tom Hanks saying the lines even though if you take yourself out of the film and just focus on the voice it is 175% obviously Tom Hanks. 

I don't begrudge this finishing top among the Toy Storys and 4th best Pixar film is a pretty accurate placement too in that mini-battle. An increase of 2 places is a good showing and possibly indicative that the original film is the one that will eventually last longest in our memory.

• Like 12

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

10th - Toy Story 3

385pts - 21 votes, 3 FIRST, 6 top 5, 2 top 10 (2014: 4th: Down 6)

Well I for one, didn't foresee this showing up this early. 

In fact Toy Story 3 was one of the 3 films left on the list never to hit the top spot. Saying that I'm also okay with this slightly lower than I expected finish. It's a great film and the emotional stuff is done to the height of Pixar's heart crushing powers. Still though, I found this film just a little more forced than the previous two and as such it deserves to place very high in my book. But not all time great high. 

A drop of 6 places is quite severe. Especially considering we are at the point where there is only one film left on this list that was not eligible back in 2014. 

So sad seeing my personal #1 drop so much. And what's up with Toy Story 1 being the highest-ranked of the three? That's the least good one... Anyway here's hoping my #2 Wall-E manages to enter top 3 at least. If I only I noticed this thread in time to vote... :sadno:

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 3

And for a while, it looked like the shock was on. This was the first film to cross 200 points and did so opening up a 30+ point gap over second place. The there was just a run of lists where the film just didn't show up which was odd after the strong open 15 or so votes. 

Hmm fishy. I'm sure they were paid off by the iron fisted cabal of Lion King/Beauty & the Beast zealots. 

:P

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

6th - Wall E

411pts - 25 votes, 1 FIRST, 5 top 5, 4 top 10 (2014: 5th: Down 1)

A great film until the humans came along and screwed it all up. 

Well not quite, it's a great film from start to finish, but it definitely starts stronger than it ends. That opening 30 minutes rivals Up's first 10 for the best scene or collection of scenes in a Pixar film in my opinion.

Previous comments suggest that some will be unhappy to see this miss the top 5, but 6th isn't exactly bad. Especially when considering the films that are left to list.  

• Like 14

5th - Beauty and the Beast

438pts - 23 votes, 1 FIRST, 7 top 5, 5 top 10 (2014: 2nd: Down 3)

The lowest ranked film to be potentially 1 vote away from topping the whole list. 

That's right 17 points separated the top 5, and at some point all 5 of them were in the lead (and down in 5th or lower) as the list progressed. It would have taken just one more top 30 vote to see this film win the whole event. 

And as the first animation to secure a best picture Oscar nomination. A film with one of the best soundtracks, 'princesses' and side characters, I would have certainly been okay with this winning the whole thing (as I kind of am with any of the top 10 to be fair.)

The film dropped 3 places, but seeing how insanely close the top 5 were, this could easily flip back again next time around.

• Like 14