TalismanRing

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: GOTT: 24.66 | BOAN 7.1 | PERE 15 | DEEP 11.75 | MID SCHOOL 6.9

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

People have said about Gone Girl too.

Gone Girl is a book that actually crawls under your skin and gets you to think though. The Girl on the Train is the kind of book that's enjoyable as you read it but leaves no long-lasting impressions once you're done.

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, but... does anything have breakout potential? The Girl On The Train was the one thing people were pointing to the most when the discussion headed towards "October breakouts", and now, not so much. If it finishes w/80-90M, it'll have done well for itself (under Gone Girl is a lock at this point). Besides that, what else you got? Jack Reacher? Ehh, I see no buzz for it, with or without Cruise. 20M OW, 25 tops. The Accountant is the only one I see legit breakout potential, tbh. Inferno could do ok on OW and then sink like a rock, simply thanks to Tom Hanks' momentum coming off Sully. I'd love for Moonlight to do well, but hardly.

What I find funny is how, since 2013, the big sci-fi blockbusters of the fall have all come out in either October of the odd years (Gravity in 2013, Martian last year, Blade Runner next year), and in the pair years, November is where they fall (Interstellar in 2014, Arrival this year), leaving October to major novel adaptations instead (Gone Girl and TGOTT). That means Arrival under 200M and BR over 200M is confirmed :ph34r:

I don't think Inferno has a decent shot of breaking out per se, but I believe it will do better than what a lot of the forum thinks. It's still an incredibly popular book, and Hanks has a strong audience of followers. It has even more chance of doing better now that every other adult-skewing movie minus Sully has underperformed. It won't do phenomenal, but I think it'll do above $90M, and there's a chance that it could do above $100M.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Judge is probably a good comparison; I see it opening slightly higher with weaker legs.

I wish The Judge had done better.  Good family drama and great performances by Duvall & RDJ.  It needed to cut a subplot or two and with it about 20 minutes.

I don't see it as comparable,  The Accountant is a thriller, closer to Reacher and they might cannabilize each other a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I wish The Judge had done better.  Good family drama and great performances by Duvall & RDJ.  It needed to cut a subplot or two and with it about 20 minutes.

I don't see it as comparable,  The Accountant is a thriller, closer to Reacher and they might cannabilize each other a bit.

The Accountant's marketing campaign has been similarly on the muted side like The Judge's was despite the starpower. I'm also getting the feeling the reviews will be on the mediocre side too.

Just now, filmlover said:

The Accountant's marketing campaign has been similarly on the muted side like The Judge's was despite the starpower. I'm also getting the feeling the reviews will be on the mediocre side too.

"Come see our mid-budget thriller that people kinda like!"

• Like 1

wasn't there a subplot in the judge that rdj almost fucks his own daughter and he's like all freaked out about it but then the movie's like "it's ok" at the end because it turned out she was actually his niece. weird beat of a mostly by-the-numbers dad movie.

We just did this half hour lesson in French class about why The Intouchables made so much money in Europe but not in North America, but I don't feel like I learned anything I didn't already know :lol:

13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

My dad is super hyped for The Accountant. He hasent seen a movie at the theatre since Mockingjay 2

So is mine, maybe cause he is an accountant.

"it's a biopic about my life!"

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

wasn't there a subplot in the judge that rdj almost fucks his own daughter and he's like all freaked out about it but then the movie's like "it's ok" at the end because it turned out she was actually his niece. weird beat of a mostly by-the-numbers dad movie.

I saw that movie on HBO last year and have no recollection of that. I do however remember Robert Duvall shitting himself and a tornado appearing for no reason whatsoever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

We just did this half hour lesson in French class about why The Intouchables made so much money in Europe but not in North America, but I don't feel like I learned anything I didn't already know :lol:

Reasons:

1. It's French.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Reasons:

1. It's French.

That's pretty much what I said when she asked the class what we thought before the lesson :lol:

"Mais non c'est beaucoup plus compliqué que sa."

No, not it's really not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Hey, they only got close to second base.  CJohn gets farther on his own at the movies.

And yep that's one of the subplots that should have been cut.  :rofl: