TalismanRing

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: GOTT: 24.66 | BOAN 7.1 | PERE 15 | DEEP 11.75 | MID SCHOOL 6.9

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Counting the official facebook page trailer views and Jen's facebook page trailer views, last I saw Passengers was above 43.4M views, but someone said the facebook counts weren't as reliable.  Do you know how that works?

Dunno, I'm only doing YT views on the most watched video.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

Counting the official facebook page trailer views and Jen's facebook page trailer views, last I saw Passengers was above 43.4M views, but someone said the facebook counts weren't as reliable.  Do you know how that works?

Facebook views aren't reliable because you could be scrolling through Facebook and a video automatically plays on its own and thus counts as a "view" even though the person may not have even watched the video. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

Pretty sure theres nothing to back up the 10pm claim.

Not quite "nothing". Someone on this site is recalling that Gone Girl previews started at 10 pm. The BOM Friday AM update for that weekend states that "Gone Girl opened $1.25 million from late Thursday shows" which I would interpret as 10 pm, 7 pm seems a bit early to call "late".

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Facebook views aren't reliable because you could be scrolling through Facebook and a video automatically plays on its own and thus counts as a "view" even though the person may not have even watched the video. 

Still gives you an idea of audience reach though.

That's why studios have started putting a tiny 4-5 second sizzle reel before the trailer actually starts, on social media anyway.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Still gives you an idea of audience reach though.

That's why studios have started putting a tiny 4-5 second sizzle reel before the trailer actually starts, on social media anyway.

Of course. I'm in no way saying it doesn't. Especially if the same video has a ton of likes and or comments. I was just explaining the rationale behind why someone would say Facebook video views aren't quite reliable. 

• Like 1

Just got tickets for Girl on the Train at 9:15 and the theater is looking to be quite busy this evening. Will be curious to see if Matthew not causing as much devastation as expected but still leaving some communities without power will lead to a boost in business here.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just got tickets for Girl on the Train at 9:15 and the theater is looking to be quite busy this evening. Will be curious to see if Matthew not causing as much devastation as expected but still leaving some communities without power will lead to a boost in business here.

The loss of Jacksonville business tonight will cancel out most of the southeast being good to go.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The loss of Jacksonville business tonight will cancel out most of the southeast being good to go.

I guess. Plus some theaters are still closed down around here because they expected the storm to be bigger than it was (although that might lead to stronger attendance at places that are open).

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Not quite "nothing". Someone on this site is recalling that Gone Girl previews started at 10 pm. The BOM Friday AM update for that weekend states that "Gone Girl opened $1.25 million from late Thursday shows" which I would interpret as 10 pm, 7 pm seems a bit early to call "late".

Check the GG thread -- we had people here going to 9pm shows. (Although I can't find anything that references earlier than that).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney World closed down for only the 4th time in their history - or so Weather.com tells me.

Correct. Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld all closed early yesterday and they're reopening tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah i actually enjoyed it too. it would've been a real hot shit performer in like 1993.

It looks like a lot of the audience that would have gone to a theater to see it in '93 just saw it at home.  It shockingly has over 4,600 ratings on Amazon - that's blockbuster territory. :wacko:

1 hour ago, trifle said:

You only need to watch 3s for FB to count it as 1 view and with the autoplay feature, you just need to scroll slow enough. Youtube has much more complex view count system, in fact no one really knows exactly how YT counts view.

Edited by bladels
  • Like 2