Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

I wouldn't say wilder was unkind but he had a kooky aloofness and deadpan wit that Tim doesn't seem to have based on marketing. Appears there's enough people still saying he's miscast after seeing the whole thing that I'll probably agree with that sentiment.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Do I have to say to you again that this isn't true at all? I get that your thing is to make ignorant points and then keep making them even after people correct you, but give it a break man

And who died and made the poster we are discussing the judge of what "young people" find revelent?

I see he buys into the " Young People and teens care about nothing but CBM and SFX driven movies
stereotype.

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The response makes the decision to, I assume, just bet everything entirely on Chalamets popularity in the marketing even more baffling. If it's a good musical let people know about the fucking music!

That is assuming the songs for the movie are good..a big assumprtion. A Musical is only as good as the songs. One of the reasons that "Mary Poppins Returns" was not the blockbuster people expected was the score was so weak compared to the original.

15 hours ago, AniNate said:

I learned my lesson the hard way with Wish, you just always have to take the initial enthusiasm with a grain of salt 

It's really bad with CBM and filmsin a big franchise....the early reports are always from the Geek writers who have a heavy bias in favor of the film's material. when the non fanboys chime in, the ratings go down.

With this many mixed review, this won’t be as critically well received as the Charlie version in 2005, let alone the wonka of 1971. 

I am not ruling out the chance that general public could totally eat this up like HG:BOSS and elemental but the not so good review sure won’t help OW. This should be doing around TGS and Marry poppin return. 

• Astonished 1

It's a real possibility that the two films Warners put it's hopes for big box office winner for Christmas 2023 might both underperform. That is, neither will bomb, but they won't make the kind of money WB was expecting.

"Color Purple" is more of a prestige Oscar bait style film for WB; .

Well I’ve been saying it all month but it seems initial social reactions are useless anymore. Went from looking like Paddington level at first to already unsure if certified fresh is in the cards. 

Regardless, as I’ve said I think audience reception could vary drastically here. It can be a 50% RT and still get bonkers WOM ala a Night at the Museum or Greatest Showman if it’s the right kind of holiday crowd pleaser. Not gonna make any judgment call on WOM before CS at the soonest.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You really have to vet the author a lot more these days, even if they seem like they're a well balanced rt critic they still might have a certain genre bias that the studio notices. Even certain people employed by Variety aren't immune.

I think it's strange that outlets like Variety can have multiple critics. I miss the days where an outlet would have a single critic, like Ebert and the Chicago Sun Times.

Well the trades are different from local papers. They aim to have someone review every single movie that comes out, and that's beyond the capabilities of one specific critic especially if they're only playing at film festivals.

The thing is they're as much in the business of promoting movies as reviewing them, and sometimes people that are more on the promotional side get early access. Studio definitely are all too happy to use pull quotes from them if they can attach the Variety logo to them.

Edited by AniNate

I sometimes feel like this forum puts too much stock on RT ratings. In the past it seems like it was mostly a meme to use it to laugh at CBMs (RT watches for big CBMs were a huge thing here in the past) but people didn't care so much about it when it came to anything else.

It feels like this one will be a lot more about WOM than RT.

Well we can't really talk about word of mouth right now because the movie's still more than two weeks out. And we saw what happened with Wish, so clearly early reactions don't mean anything as far as that's concerned either.

I do think it was reasonable to have certain critical expectations here given the director's resume.

Edited by AniNate

8 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I sometimes feel like this forum puts too much stock on RT ratings. In the past it seems like it was mostly a meme to use it to laugh at CBMs (RT watches for big CBMs were a huge thing here in the past) but people didn't care so much about it when it came to anything else.

It feels like this one will be a lot more about WOM than RT.

I think it’s because stats have shown RT is actually very correlated to blockbuster success for the past decade+, at least as far as post OW goes. With that said, there are always certain types of movies that can be immune to reviews. Illumination are probably THE prime example in the current day. And then a family targeted “feel good” holiday film like this would be another case (if that’s indeed what this is trying to be). 

Edited by MovieMan89

14 hours ago, Noctis said:

Yeah, these reactions signal a very mixed response from critics. This would be more interesting if it were polarizing, but this seems more of a big meh.

Might be another case of a director who did well with modest budgets sort of  not do so well  on his first big budget project.That happens a lot.